Group transportation from LAX to San Pedro

2+3Cruisers

We will be cruising on the Star in January. Our group consists of 4 adults and 3 young children (7,4,4). I have looked at the SuperShuttle site. Any other recommendations for getting to the pier? We are flying in the evening before our cruise (arrival around 7 pm Friday night). For the return we get back to San Pedro Saturday AM but our flight home is not until waaaayyy too early Sunday morning - 6 AM - ouch. We plan on renting a car for Saturday but want to get it returned that night. I would like to find a hotel near LAX with a shuttle to the airport for that morning. Does such a thing exist? Never been to LA, but looking forward to it. Thanks!

With 7 I believe you can have your own van to the pier, which is a major plus. Most of the hotels along Century Boulevard have complimentary shuttles to the airport. You want a direct shuttle, though - some of the hotels share shuttles, which will make your early morning ride that much more painful. The Sheraton has its own van service. The Westin shares with a couple of others.

Hello,

There are Embassy Suites in the LAX area that have shuttles to LAX, and the one bedroom suites give you a little more room. There is an Embassy Suites in El Segundo that is south of the airport which is probably a little less expensive and yet close to restaurants, shopping, the Redondo Beach pier and beaches. While I know that this hotel is in a safe area, I can't tell you if the hotel is a nice one inside.

Another option is to find a car rental company that will allow you to pick up your car at LAX and drop it off at the cruise terminal. And after your cruise pick up the car and return it to LAX.

Yet another option is a taxi from your hotel to the cruise terminal but make absolutely sure that you know what this shoud cost, and that you get a firm price from a taxi driver before you enter the taxi.

A fun day for your party would be a day at the beach. If the weather isn't the greatest a visit to Universal Studios has something for everyone.

And remember that if you have a rental car and can turn it in at the cruise terminal there are many very nice places to stay in the Los Angeles Area such as Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, and the Belmont Shore section of Long Beach.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

We will be cruising on the Star in January. Our group consists of 4 adults and 3 young children (7,4,4). I have looked at the SuperShuttle site. Any other recommendations for getting to the pier? We are flying in the evening before our cruise (arrival around 7 pm Friday night). For the return we get back to San Pedro Saturday AM but our flight home is not until waaaayyy too early Sunday morning - 6 AM - ouch. We plan on renting a car for Saturday but want to get it returned that night. I would like to find a hotel near LAX with a shuttle to the airport for that morning. Does such a thing exist? Never been to LA, but looking forward to it. Thanks!

When we went on our Diamond Princess cruise we had virtually the same schedule as you (arrive Friday night - leave Sunday early). We rented a car both ways with Hertz. We got a superb AAA deal so I think both rentals ended up being under $20. Rented at LAX Friday night, drove to hotel, then returned to their Lomita office, and they gave us a $15 credit to take a taxi to the cruise port. Now, because you'll be 7, this might be more awkward, but a viable option would be to have the driver drop the other 6 at the port and then return the car & take the taxi (they're only about 10 minutes away). Then, we did the reverse after the cruise - took a taxi to Lomita and picked up the car (again, the driver could do this and come back to the port, or you could try for a minivan taxi). The LAX Hertz site is actually just down the road from the Renaissance where we stayed, no more than a 5-10 minute walk. There are lots of other hotels in the same area too. The whole thing worked out beautifully for us.

I would guess that many of the major hotels by LAX have a shuttle to the terminals. Just remember you'll have to be at the airport extra hour before your flight (someone who's flown recently could advise you on this). You'll probably have shorter lines, so that's a plus. You might want to contact a few of the hotels directly and ask them what time their shuttles start operating in the morning and how soon you'll be at your terminal. You won't want any unpleasant surprises that morning.

You'll probably want to stay pre-cruise at a San Pedro hotel. You won't have any time for sightseeing by the time you get your baggage and check into the hotel.

Thank you for all of the ideas. It looks like I need to investigate the rental car companies in a little more detail to clarify my options there. In the past, for instance when we cruised out of New Orleans, we actually found it was cheaper to rent a limo for all of us than to do the shuttle. LA may be higher demand for limos than post-Katrina NO but has anyone done this option before?

Archived