Dessert suggestions

DianetheCruiser

My husband is a foodie but all I dream about in the food department is dessert! I am asking seasoned Viking ocean cruisers for their suggestions. Although I'd love to try all of them, I will have to limit myself and I will take all of your recommendations into consideration. We are sailing on Viking Sun's inaugural cruise on October 4th (Venice to Athens).

Rum raisin gelato hands down is my favorite. It sounded icky so I didn't try it at the buffet when encouraged by a server. The next night we were eating at Chef's table where it was part of their dessert. It was amazing and only got a dab of it. It was never served anywhere again unfortunately. I dream of it now.

Rum raisin gelato hands down is my favorite. It sounded icky so I didn't try it at the buffet when encouraged by a server. The next night we were eating at Chef's table where it was part of their dessert. It was amazing and only got a dab of it. It was never served anywhere again unfortunately. I dream of it now.

So the next time, ask for a gelato sampler the first day. Maybe a quarter of a scoop each. Sample them all. Unlike a lot of ice cream places, they don't have taste spoons. Then ask the server about the ones you like. Frequency, things like that so you can set up a game plan. Next time, sample the new ones to you and get a serving of one you know you already like. Then you know and can go from there.

So, they served it at Chef's Table and you liked it? Who knew?

Has anyone tried the Nutella Panna Cotta in Manfredi's? I'd hate to give up the tiramisu for that unless it's recommended. Or do we ask for a sampler of each on that night too???

I didn't have an opportunity to try it but anything with Nutella is worth asking for a sample. LOL

Has anyone tried the Nutella Panna Cotta in Manfredi's? I'd hate to give up the tiramisu for that unless it's recommended. Or do we ask for a sampler of each on that night too???

Sounds yummy! DH and I both love Nutella in desserts. We usually make sure we each order different desserts, then share. That way we always get at least two desserts to taste.:D

One of our favorite restaurants The Inn At Little Washington has always hasd a fantastic dessert selection . The best one yet was called Seven Deadly Sins a small version of each of seven desserts. Maybe we can suggest this to the Pastry chef on Viking.

If you are in the D.C. VA area this place is a must or a very special meal.

One of our favorite restaurants The Inn At Little Washington has always hasd a fantastic dessert selection . The best one yet was called Seven Deadly Sins a small version of each of seven desserts. Maybe we can suggest this to the Pastry chef on Viking.

If you are in the D.C. VA area this place is a must or a very special meal.

I'll make a note of The Inn for the next time we want to go somewhere in the Virginia countryside for the weekend. Thanks!

Peregrina posted a link to a Viking e- cookbook . All you have to do is supply your email. I thought of you because it has Viking's tiramisu recipe. It really is a great book.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/brochures/cookbook-digital.html#noscroll

Peregrina posted a link to a Viking e- cookbook . All you have to do is supply your email. I thought of you because it has Viking's tiramisu recipe. It really is a great book.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/brochures/cookbook-digital.html#noscroll

I'm not so sure that they are the actual recipes used on board but some of the names are familiar.

But, you do have to give them an e-mail address so that they can send you advertising material. I made sure to give them one that they already have for me. In any case, it is free.

I could have a dessert once in awhile. I do like very dark chocolate.

Martha (a very nice friendly girl) from Viking Star insisted that I would try a Success Cake at Mamsen's. The cake had a familiar taste and I knew a variation of this cake since my childhood. What surprised me that I got addicted to this cake though it was on a little bit too sweet side for me. It's really good rich cake and Armagnac is very good companion to it :halo:

Enhance your rum raisin gelato by pouring a small quantity of Malibu rum over it.

Sorry to burst your bubble Nutella fans with some bad news, it is loaded with palm oil.

Thanks Les Picantins! I was sure that I was the only person in the world who does not like Nutella! At least now I can give a logical and reasonably valid reason!

Enhance your rum raisin gelato by pouring a small quantity of Malibu rum over it.

Sorry to burst your bubble Nutella fans with some bad news, it is loaded with palm oil.

The malibu on rum raisin sounds wonderful. As far as the nutella and palm oil, we only live once. They are finding something wrong in everything we eat these days. I don't keep it in my house so it's not going to kill me. If you think about it, your body treats alcohol as if it's poison and yet almost everyone drinks. We only drink on vacation. I bet I only had one glass of wine on our Homelands cruise. Wait, I take that back. I had some at Chef's table.

I could have a dessert once in awhile. I do like very dark chocolate.

Martha (a very nice friendly girl) from Viking Star insisted that I would try a Success Cake at Mamsen's. The cake had a familiar taste and I knew a variation of this cake since my childhood. What surprised me that I got addicted to this cake though it was on a little bit too sweet side for me. It's really good rich cake and Armagnac is very good companion to it :halo:

This one intrigues me, a traditional Norwegian dessert! Not something I've seen before or will likely run into around here. I'll have to be sure to try it. Did they have it at Mamsen's all the time or will I need to watch for it?

This one intrigues me, a traditional Norwegian dessert! Not something I've seen before or will likely run into around here. I'll have to be sure to try it. Did they have it at Mamsen's all the time or will I need to watch for it?

This wonderful cake also called by several other names is thin layers of almond merengue and alternate layers of custard. It is sometimes served in cafes with only one layer of each. I look forward to trying it on Viking.