Any Do's/Dont's on Getting Foreign Currency?

johnjen

Typically, when traveling abroad, I'll go to my credit union and pre-order a certain amount of Euros to take with us on the trip. With my credit union, I've yet to see any service fee, and the transfer rate is the same as that current date when they process the transaction. Around a week later, the money is delivered to us - even in the denomination we requested (large or small bills).

Use of cash examples instead of using a credit card: Eating at a small restaurant, buying trinkets from off the tourist area stores, general items needed like a beer, drinks, or clothing, etc. Always good to have spare cash.

However, I've been reading that the best way to get cash is to wait until you're over there, hit an AMEX money exchange or an ATM, and you get "the better rate" and I've heard of seasoned travelers preferring this method over getting the cash from your bank or credit union.

Can anyone please explain the advantage of doing that instead of doing it my way? Maybe there's something I don't know, please tell me!