Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?

Dan Askin

Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?

• Cunard's Grill Class -- I like the traditional vibe and elegant suites.
    • NCL's Courtyard -- I like Freestyle Cruising in high style.
    • MSC's Yacht Club -- I like my spacious suites to have international flair.
    • Any of them -- I'm not picky about where I find my luxury.
    • None of the above -- I think classed cruising is elitist and old-school.
    • Something else -- I'll post below.

Cunard may have revived classed cruising, but this throwback style of cruising from the Titanic era is now making a major comeback. (Click here to read the news item.) These days, you can find "elite suites" -- which provide access to exclusive restaurants, lounges and decks on otherwise mainstream ships -- not just on Cunard but also Norwegian Cruise Line, with its now-signature Courtyard Villa complex, and MSC Cruises' exclusive Yacht Club.

We want to know -- if money were no object, which would you book? Vote in our poll and be sure to leave comments below!

i wanted to pick NOTA because i do consider it elitist. But then i realized that while classed cruising keeps the "riffraff" away from those who wish to cruise with likeminded individuals (aka the upper crust), it keeps those who wish to separate themselves, away from my cruise :)

and no, i'm not talking about those who can afford suites but still mingle with the gen pop. I'm talking about those who spend the majority of their cruise in the private elite areas and prefer not to associate with the rest of the cruise pax.

I'd love to try Cunard, and if we were in a suite - all the better!

I don't see how "elitism" even comes into play. Cruising is not a democracy! If you want to pay more for certain privileges, then go for it! Those who pay for an inside, oceanview or "regular" verandah are still getting an excellent value for the money they paid. If you don't like it then don't cruise!!!

We would never -- ever -- take a "class" cruise where some people are made to feel more important than others. If you want a luxury experience, and, money is no object. . . . simply take a luxury cruise. There is no "class" differentiation on luxury cruises! IMO, money does not make one person more important or better than another.

P.S. For those of you who think the Titanic experience was good. . . . you may want to check out the ending.

I'd love to try Cunard, and if we were in a suite - all the better!

I don't see how "elitism" even comes into play. Cruising is not a democracy! If you want to pay more for certain privileges, then go for it! Those who pay for an inside, oceanview or "regular" verandah are still getting an excellent value for the money they paid. If you don't like it then don't cruise!!!

I'm not opposed to paying more for more perks such as a bigger cabin, free bar setup, butler service, pillow selection etc. What bothers me is the separating of passengers into exclusive areas of the ship. More and more, it seems the ships are coming out with suite only sections, or singles only sections that are barring the gen.pop from using. I dunno, it just really bothers me to see segregating like this because it encourages the school of thought that one group of people are somehow better (or more entitled) than another group of people.

I experienced the Epic's version of elitism from the wrong side. How did it work? Well, read the comments on the Epic's maiden TA voyage. Those in the suites enjoyed themselves and were generally quite pleased. The rest of us, generally not so much (though I'm sure that there are those who will vehemently disagree). I just felt that as a common passenger (ie, one inhabiting a regular cabin with a balcony), the ship was too noisy (overlapping entertainment venues, bowling alleys, gambling machines, etc.), had too many missing features (library, game/card rooms, quiet areas, promenade, etc), and didn't do enough to control smoking (especially in the gambling areas and folks pitching their cigarette butts down on uncovered balconies). The upper crust passengers had a place to escape, receive premier treatment and enjoy the views that were denied the less lofty.

Money can't buy class.

Assuming I can afford any cruise I want on any line, where's the guarantee that fellow passengers in suites are going to be more desirable companions than those in inside cabins?

I prefer to choose those I associate with based on who they are rather than how much money they have.

I voted other.

If I could afford it, I'd upgrade the ship rather than the cabin. We'd sail on Crystal, Silversea, Regent or at least Oceania or Azamara.

I'd not really consider Cunard as an upgrade, it's pretty much the same as other main stream cruise lines. I'm sure the suite level service is better, we found the standard service similar to RCI or Celebrity. The food...same as any other cruise line. The entertainment was slightly better (singers/dancers/sets). Problem is, you're still on a great big cruise ship (liner).

I experienced the Epic's version of elitism from the wrong side. How did it work? Well, read the comments on the Epic's maiden TA voyage. Those in the suites enjoyed themselves and were generally quite pleased. The rest of us, generally not so much (though I'm sure that there are those who will vehemently disagree). I just felt that as a common passenger (ie, one inhabiting a regular cabin with a balcony), the ship was too noisy (overlapping entertainment venues, bowling alleys, gambling machines, etc.), had too many missing features (library, game/card rooms, quiet areas, promenade, etc), and didn't do enough to control smoking (especially in the gambling areas and folks pitching their cigarette butts down on uncovered balconies). The upper crust passengers had a place to escape, receive premier treatment and enjoy the views that were denied the less lofty.

I know the new ships with the elite areas have gotten bigger. But i'm wondering if some of the quiet places that you mention have disappeared (library, card rooms etc) have gone toward the private elite spaces, rather than just turned into noisy venues for the gen pop? In other words, do the gen pop folks have just as much cruise ship space as before, or has it decreased in order to free up room for private decks & areas for the suites?

I'm with Happy KS, I'd upgrade my cruiseline, Oceania, to the Med, love the idea of a country club casual dress code & they have fantastic Med. Itineraries. That would be my "dream cruise" It's funny how some people react negatively to the idea of special areas for those who paid more...I won't be able to eat in blu next year because we didn't pay for AQ. Nice for those who are though, love reading about their experiences. That's life folks, there are many places you don't get to go if you don't pay...Coveting is not pretty:)

IMO, the idea that having suites and special perks for passengers who cruise in them is "classist" doesn't apply. Yes, I know there are those who do think of it that way and I've experienced suite passengers who were, not to put too fine a point on it, jerks and asses--and that was the time my hubby and I were lucky enough to also be cruising in a suite, just not the biggest, highest one. But the bottom line is that there are various levels of cabins and suites to accomodate all kinds of preferences. It really is no different from ticket types to events (sporting, music, etc.), air travel, train travel, and any number of things. I guess in that regard, my DH and I are classists because we only ever book sleeping compartments for train travel. Those levels include meals (rather than having to purchase as you go), wine tastings and other afternoon events, morning continental breakfast/coffee/juice, sodas and bottled water, a concierge, and stateroom porters. They also include a private parlor car for sleeping compartment passengers only.

There have always been "classes" in travel and there likely always will be. Of course, those classes should never come at the expense of other passengers. There should be adequate dining, entertainment, relaxation, etc. for all with the suite perks only being added to an already complete experience. If that's the case, then we see not a thing wrong with suites and the perks offered with them.

We are perfectly happy in our "usual" balcony or mini-suite (with no perks to speak of). While we certainly wish we could afford luxury and suites all the time, we do not wish for it to be taken away from those who do--We just want it for ourselves as well.;)

To answer the actual question, we'd love to try the luxury lines with full suites on the other lines being a perfectly acceptable second choice.

beachchick

I can’t imagine that I would go for the ultimate or most expensive cabin on any mass market ship. Kind of like buying the most expensive house in the neighbor. You have a great house, in just an ”OK” neighborhood.

I would rather spend the money and be on a more luxurious ship, where the service and food was superior. Hopefully the dress code issue would never come up as those passengers generally understand the concept of acceptable dinner clothing.

M

I would rather upgrade the cabin vs. the cruiseship.

I'd be bored on the luxury cruiselines.

I prefer the mass-market ships with the variety of entertainment and multiple restaurants .... but in a suite. I prefer Norwegian's suites, cause you get the most service there.....some of the other lines all you get for a suite is a larger cabin.

Of course money is involved. If I had a huge pile, I would settle a bundle on each of my three kids and seven grandchildren, then set about trying the top luxury accommodation on the top ship in every line from the Epic to Cruise West. I'd fly first class to every port city and hire a limo to take me from the airport to the cruise port. And I would take most of my meals in the main dining room and ask to share a table. In port, I'd book the cruise line excursion with the most others signed up -- then hire the cleanest cab in line to take me around the city. If money were really no object, I'd probably get a super yacht and spend the rest of my allotted days circumnavigating -- while in port I'd dress down as an ordinary seaman and mingle with the geezers in every saloon within walking distance of the warf.

Even though some of these other rooms were cheaper it does not state that their rooms are 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms like NCL's. You can't beat the courtyard villas on NCL.

The only thing that beats a courtyard suite, is a true "Garden Villa" on NCL. :D

I voted none of the above and here is why. Most of the mass market cruise lines are single class ships and all that extra money for a large suite does not buy you better food, better entertainment, better ship, etc. The person in the cheapest inside cabin is eating the same food, seeing the same shows, etc. The exception in the above list is Cunard who does have kind of a class system in that the suites get access to one of the exclusive grills. But these days those grills are horribly overrated and use essentially the same menu as the Britiania (main dining room) with a few supplements such as caviar. There is much to say for booking a much cheaper cabin (which can save you over $1000 a day) and simply eating your meals in the alternative restaurants (Todd English is superior to the Queens Grill). Even with the supplement for Todd English you will save lots of money. If we want to spend a lot of money on a cruise we find it makes more sense to simply go on one of the luxury cruise lines such as Regent, Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, etc. On those ships everything is better and you get a lot more for your money then a large cabin.

Hank

Archived