Key West - what to do?

Luv my furbaby

Fish Guts and Dirt!! YUM. I think I'll cross this off the list :D

Check out the Conch Republic Seafood Company. It's also right on the water, a lot cleaner, and the bar area is really nice and "Key Westy." Right across the street is Kermits where you can get the best keylime-pie-dipped-in-chocolate-on-a-stick on the island. Also, with a keen eye, you'll spot Jimmy Buffett's recording studio. :)

we plan on walking around and exploring the town a little but also wanted to see a beach there. is there any free ones, and if so, are they walking distance?

The beaches are free, not walking distance for me. Key West is not a great beach spot but we have driven over there by scooter and had a beverage.

Can anyone tell me how long of a walk from the Port B to the Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum and also to Fort Zachary Taylor Fort for the beach. Can we just walk from the port or should we take a bus or cab? Where can we get the best Key Lime pie and what do Conch Fritters taste like?

Edited by Dreamsailor

Can anyone tell me how long of a walk from the Port B to the Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum and also to Fort Zachary Taylor Fort for the beach. Can we just walk from the port or should we take a bus or cab? Where can we get the best Key Lime pie and what do Conch Fritters taste like?

It is only a block or two to the shipwreck museum. An easy walk from Pier B.

Fort Zachary is about 1.5 miles including a long stretch with no shade. It is a hot, long walk. In my opinion, I wouldn't waste my time going there. None of our beaches here are very good and I'm sure you will have better beach spots on your cruise. The beach at Fort Zach is very rocky with much of it looking more like a gravel parking lot then a beach. There is a very small beach at the end of Simonton Street right near the pier that also has a small beach concession with good fish tacos.

I think the best Key Lime Pie is at Kermits. There are two locations, both easily walkable from the dock. Conch Fritters are breeding mixed with pieces of Conch and deep fried... They taste pretty much like any deep fried fritter, with the better ones having plenty of conch. The stand right by The Aquarium next to the docks has pretty good ones and so does BO's Fish Wagon.

Thank you :):). We plan on going to the Shipwreck Treasure Museum and to the Memorial Sculpture Garden. What about Smathers Beach? Is the water blue there and is it clear? How would you suggest we get to those? I don't want to pay that much for the trolly. We may still go to Fort Zachary can we take a bus or do you have to take a cab? Do you know how much a cab will be? Do you know about the beaches in Freeport and Nassau? We would love to go to Atlantis, but for the price and the time allowed doesn't seem worth it. I read a lot of reviews and they complained about the time that you actually get to spend out there. Have you gone there? If so, did you do a cruise excursion or on your own. We are with Carnival and two other boats are scheduled to be there at the same time as us. We will be there Nov 19th. I was also thinking of going to one of the hotels there for the beach only. Do you have any suggestions?:confused:

So I just read that it's now $30 cash for the Hemingway House. Is there a lower cost option if you don't do the guided tour? That seems really pricey.

I don't know where you got your information but according to the website it's $13 cash only.

I don't know where you got your information but according to the website it's $13 cash only.

Whew! I must have been misreading something on Trip Advisor. This makes much more sense and puts it back into the realm of must-dos. Thanks!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Key West several times. This time I am going for me and DH interests. Will be trying to visit the following: Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe, Key West Key Lime Pie Co, Cuban Coffee Queen, Key West First Legal Rum Distillery. If still time then Key West Distilling.

I have been to Key West several times. This time I am going for me and DH interests. Will be trying to visit the following: Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe, Key West Key Lime Pie Co, Cuban Coffee Queen, Key West First Legal Rum Distillery. If still time then Key West Distilling.

I agree with your list! I loved Kermit's and even chatted with him a bit. With your likes (same as mine), you should definitely try the Taste of Key West tour sometime. It was a lot of fun and such good food along the way.

• 4 weeks later...