Help please with RSS Alaska excursions

Gemlea

This is our first (and possibly only) trip to Alaska. We are not the fittest of people, so 'easy' tours are our choice. We want to upgrade our chosen tours to include a Floatplane (not Helicopter:eek:) trip. Can those of you with experience of the ships tours please give us the benefit of your input as to which of the following tours you would do:-

In Icy Strait (Hoonah) we are booked on the "Whale & Marine Mammals cruise" and there is no available tour which includes a floatplane.

In Juneau, we have another 'Whales' related tour booked - "Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest" - query whether to cancel this and book the "Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast" ?

Or, in Ketchikan, we are currently booked on the "Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer" - query whether this would be the better trip to cancel and upgrade to the "Misty Fjords Seaplane Adventure"?

Hoping some of you can give us guidance, and then all I have to worry about is whether there is still availability on the floatplane tours.

Thanks for your time.

Sandra

Here are some recent and relatively recent comments regarding float plane excursions:

per Travelcat2:

We really enjoyed the crab feast by float plane. Most of the people didn't want to pay for the plane (we used OBCs) and went by boat. As with most included excursions, there were a lot of people going -- filled up a very large room at the restaurant. There were only 12 of us on the float plane tour -- we had our own little room -- it was great fun.

per RachelG:

We did the Misty Fjord boat excursion. Were I doing it again, I would take the boat one way and the sea plane the other. Boat both ways was pretty long. We saw some beautiful scenery, but coming back I got a little bored.

per ChatKat in Ca.:

The highlight of the first cruise was a floatplane to Taku Glacier Lodge out of Juneau - totally amazing views of the glaciers with a BBQ Salmon dinner at the lodge.

If you search for "plane" and "Alaska" in the Regent forum you will get more results. Some of those results are these same poster's opinions in different threads.

Weekends can be slow on this board and a search may tide you over...

Thanks both for your responses. I have done a search and hey presto - lots of info.:D

Our preference is now to replace the Juneau "Whale Quest" with the "Taku Glacier Lodge" flight, but the latter is now waitlisted.:( For those who have experienced being waitlisted for premium flight tours - how likely is it that we would be accommodated eventually? I suspect I will have to speak direct with Regent, because I don't want to cancel the already paid for "Whale Quest" tour on the offchance that Taku Glacier becomes available.

The Misty Fjords floatplane is available at the moment, but its just a flight there and back. There is no option to fly there and sail back which sounds to be ideal.

Decisions, decisions !!!

For those who have experienced being waitlisted for premium flight tours - how likely is it that we would be accommodated eventually? I suspect I will have to speak direct with Regent, because I don't want to cancel the already paid for "Whale Quest" tour on the offchance that Taku Glacier becomes available.

Can't speak to your "chances" as I don't have first hand experience and yes, call Regent to get on the waitlist for the Taku Glacier lodge flight. You can keep your Whale Quest booking intact as a fine backup.

One other thing to consider.

While Regent likely has "locked up" the provider for this excursion, if you really want to explore your options you may want to contact them directly.

Doesn't help the "included excursion" part of the budget however...

Taku Lodge, as I'm sure you discovered, is in a beautiful picturesque location...the lunch delicious (i don't usually care for salmon) and walking the trail thru the woods so relaxing....a nice way to exercise after eating, esp. if you eat too many homemade molasses cookies;) Our cruise (Cruise West) started in Juneau. Since we had an extra day in Juneau prior to leaving, we bought our tickets at the pier and got right on a plane. This remains one of my favorite memories after 2 Alaskan cruises!

Patty

Taku Lodge, as I'm sure you discovered, is in a beautiful picturesque location...the lunch delicious (i don't usually care for salmon) and walking the trail thru the woods so relaxing....a nice way to exercise after eating, esp. if you eat too many homemade molasses cookies;) Our cruise (Cruise West) started in Juneau. Since we had an extra day in Juneau prior to leaving, we bought our tickets at the pier and got right on a plane. This remains one of my favorite memories after 2 Alaskan cruises!

Patty

Thanks again everyone. We rang Regent and added our names to the waitlist for Taku Lodge - there were already 6 people listed, so I'm hoping Regent will find another plane from somewhere - fingers crossed.

Sandra

Archived