Resident Rates

Does anyone know what determines if RCI offers a resident rate on a cruise? Is there anyplace you can see a list of what cruises have a resident discount? I just happened to check the rates yesterday for my Liberty cruise in September and discovered there was one for Arkansas. We upgraded from a promenade room to a balcony for about $300.

I got one once it was very nice. The night before final payment was due I called one last time to check pricing (I had already paid off the cruise) and found out the residency rate gave me a $500 price drop ! Since it was before the final payment but I had it paid off already I got the choice of having it returned to my credit card or OBC. No brainer, I took the OBC! I already had the card paid off so I figured it was just spending money at that point.

I got the choice of having it returned to my credit card or OBC. No brainer, I took the OBC! I already had the card paid off so I figured it was just spending money at that point.

I think most financial advisers would say the no brainier is to get the money back.If you had the money in your checking account would you buy $500 of OBC?;)

I believe there used to be a place on RCI's website where you could get this info. like residence rate, senior rate etc.....but like everything else IT has made sure that's gone along with the ability to input cabin number's for availability.

A few years ago, if I put in my province, it ONLY showed resident rates. It excluded sailings that did not have one so it was annoying, but sometimes I miss it...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The good old days before their "new and improved":rolleyes: website when you could not only search for just resident rates but, military, senior or C&A rates. It certainly made it easier to find some cheaper cruises.

I assumed residency rates were just for people who lived in the port cities. I wonder what makes them decide to give a residency rate to someone who lives elsewhere, and if there's a point to it other than trying to fill ships with people who live close enough to help them reach capacity, why don't they advertise it? Seems dumb on royal's part to have a discount to entice certain people to book, but then keep it under wraps so those same people never know they're trying to entice them to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assumed residency rates were just for people who lived in the port cities. I wonder what makes them decide to give a residency rate to someone who lives elsewhere, and if there's a point to it other than trying to fill ships with people who live close enough to help them reach capacity, why don't they advertise it? Seems dumb on royal's part to have a discount to entice certain people to book, but then keep it under wraps so those same people never know they're trying to entice them to book.

It's so they can offer a discount to a targeted number of people that they then don't have to offer to everyone else wanting a price reduction.

Back when it was easy to view I found that there were often times that there were more resident rates offered to people from Ontario than there were from Florida.

As part of Royal's marketing program each ship and cruise has specific sales targets for residents of each country which can also affect different pricing for different countries.

Not too long ago they had some pretty good resident rates for the OA cruises, they were moslty mid western states, who knows why??!!

The good old days before their "new and improved":rolleyes: website when you could not only search for just resident rates but, military, senior or C&A rates. It certainly made it easier to find some cheaper cruises.

I miss those days!!! :(

It's so they can offer a discount to a targeted number of people that they then don't have to offer to everyone else wanting a price reduction.

Back when it was easy to view I found that there were often times that there were more resident rates offered to people from Ontario than there were from Florida.

As part of Royal's marketing program each ship and cruise has specific sales targets for residents of each country which can also affect different pricing for different countries.

Interesting. Maybe they are trying to make sure they have a market share in more than just a few states by getting land locked people to try cruising. Doesn't seem it could work too well if they don't make it easy for people to know they qualify for the discount, but that's a Royal "sale" for you; they never seem to make much sense.

Off the TA site. They also have senior rates, and have similar info for Celebrity. I don't know why it is not more widely available.

mac_tlc

Thanks! Looks like all the Canadian ones are transatlantic or Europe right now. I am looking for a good canadian resident rate so I can book a MyVegas reward :)