The newest neighborhoods: What do you think?

What do you think about the just-announced areas?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the just-announced areas?

• I am excited about the Vitality at Sea area
    • I am excited about the Pool and Sports Zone
    • I am excited about both new neighborhoods!
    • I am a little disappointed (and I'll post why below)

Problem is that both areas are rehashes of things already done on other ships. Don't get me wrong, two flowriders and a zipline sounds pretty cool, but that's not enough to get me wound up about it. Spa-wise, my DW might be interested in it, but I probably won't ever set foot in the place.

With all the hype around this ship, those details could have simply been footnotes. Here's hoping that the rest of the "Neighborhoods" aren't just redos of existing areas.

Is it me or is the central park ruining the ship?I love the concept of it but it is making the pools narrower, much less seating, and frankly the tiny litte fence around the top of CP does not make me feel safe, can't people fall over it :eek::eek::eek:!!!! It looks like there is not even half of the amount of pool chairs that even voyager has!!!!

What do you guys think?

Is it me or is the central park ruining the ship?I love the concept of it but it is making the pools narrower, much less seating, and frankly the tiny litte fence around the top of CP does not make me feel safe, can't people fall over it :eek::eek::eek:!!!! It looks like there is not even half of the amount of pool chairs that even voyager has!!!!

What do you guys think?

Adam G stated that there was more space and chairs than on any other ship in the fleet. It is very hard to tell just by looking at photos how large any of the areas are going to be but RCI is the master of ship building and giving plenty of space. The Voyager and Freedom class show that. This ship is also a good bit wider than the Freedom class.

I love what I saw tonight. Not sure what some people wanted other than what was revealed. Not sure what else one can put on a cruise ship. I guess the only two areas left to reveal are Adventure Ocean and the Entertainment areas.

^I was thinking that too. But you also have to remember that there will be 600 or so lounge chairs at the Aqua Theater. But I don't think many people will want to relax in that area, they would want to relax around the pool areas.

The Aqua area will have actually one of the best views of the sea. Tiered deck chairs and a nice bar just behind it for drinks.

^I was thinking that too. But you also have to remember that there will be 600 or so lounge chairs at the Aqua Theater. But I don't think many people will want to relax in that area, they would want to relax around the pool areas.

I agree. That area of the ship is going to be incredibly loud due to the fact that it adjoins a floating carnival and not much sun is going to get past those huge hotel blocks unless the ship is facing north. Also, if they're going to have shows there, it's going to have to clear out around dinner time.

The upper pools were a little disappointing. The deck seems much smaller and splitting it in two means there's less deck space; more circulation space is required for two decks instead of one. Also, those glass walls aren't going to protect against splashing and flying pool toys. Stuff is going to make it to the lower deck and balconies somehow.

It doesn't seem really "innovative" to me. They just broke up the space. But with 6,000 people fighting over those chairs, it's still gonna get crowded.

I'm disappointed with the pool area. There might be more pools, but it will be even harder to find a chair because there will be so many places to look. I don't like how the main area overlooks CP. The spa looks nice, but I don't use the spa. I am looking forward to the rest of the reveals!!

Its not for me.

I don’t see the point in recreating the facilities of land resort on a floating, moving platform.

Personally when I cruise I want a cruise ship to look and feel like a cruise ship.

From the illustrations it looks just like two “slab” hotel blocks placed side by side. I wouldn’t want a view from my balcony to be someone else’s balcony in the opposite block.

But that’s just my personal opinion, I guess there will plenty of folks who will just love it.

I actually really liked what I saw tonight.

Other than putting a lazy river (which I think would be too small to be fun on a ship), there is not much else I can think to do on ship.

The only thing I was slightly disappointed in is the lack of pool slides. I think they are fun for kids. My thought is pool slides tend to seem "roudy" and maybe RCI is trying to keep things in the main pool areas sophisticated yet fun.

It is hard for me to get a good grip on size or scale so I'm not sure if the pools are small or not. This ship itself is so big that everythings looks small in comparison. Yes, it does look like a floating hotel, but if action and diversity in activities is what you are looking for then it is great. If you are looking for a more traditional cruise experience, probably not for you.

I was also disappointed that I asked a number of questions none of whiche were answered (for example pools slides, cabana rental). I know there were a lot of questions, but the questions that were answered seemed contrived and not all that informtive. I'm happy that Adam Goldstein is going on a birthday cruise, but to be honest I really don't care that much. I would rather have info on the cabana rental.

For me the ship looks awesome and what I'm looking for.

I'd love to have a tour of her, but I don't think I want to sail on her. 5 cabanas are going to go a long way with all those people!! Surely the void in the centre could cause a safety problem if open to the elements at the end, which it seems to. Large quantities of water entering this area in a storm could create instability - I'm sure the design has been checked out but I remember the disasters on ferries where car decks have filled with water and made the ship capsize! Having been on the Independence of the Seas recently, I found her too big, with long walks from one end of the ship to another and nowhere near enough seating areas in the bars etc for the amount of passengers on board. I will however be interested in watching any tv reports when she's launched though. Sue

Last night I asked one of the RCCL reps about when they were releasing some more pics of the other "regular "cabins. She said they were there, then came back and said that they would be updated and posted later in the evening. I still don't see anything other than loft suites. Do you think they will hold this off as another "reveal" ? I would think with bookings opening up, they would put more out there for people to see what they are booking. Thoughts anyone? Jax:)

i really love all the concepts but i think there is some flaws in the layout...the adult area is nice but the pool deck looks crowded and not usable in rain or rough seas...so where does everyone go when it is rainning?

maybe if the cp area was partially closed to allow for the pool deck to be larger it may have made it look less crowded...and not so top heavy

i will sail on her someday i am sure...

Its not for me.

I don’t see the point in recreating the facilities of land resort on a floating, moving platform.

Personally when I cruise I want a cruise ship to look and feel like a cruise ship.

From the illustrations it looks just like two “slab” hotel blocks placed side by side. I wouldn’t want a view from my balcony to be someone else’s balcony in the opposite block.

But that’s just my personal opinion, I guess there will plenty of folks who will just love it.

I couln't have said it better. We generally take 2 or 3 vacations each year, and when we want a land resort with all the bells and whistles, that's what we do. Maybe I'm a traditionalist since I got hooked on cruising back in the early 1990's, before the spate of behemoth ships, specialty restaurants, and my time dining. The more I hear and see about the Oasis, the less inclined I am to sail on it. Voyager class is plenty big for me, and I would love to see some new builds in the Vision class or Radiance class.

cruzeluvr, i have sailed 4 classes (no freedom class or higher yet) and love radiance the best...the smaller ships have something special about them that the larger ones lose...

don't get me wrong i may sail the others for ports...

I love the big ships. We have been on the Sovereign and Vision class enough for us, and we have felt they were to small for our liking. We like all the different venues and have decided to go on nothing smaller than the Voyager class in the future (although, we will probably try the Radiance class, at least once, since everyone loves her so much). Like others, we are very excited to try the Oasis.

While I wasn't blown away by the reveal last night, I don't mind the pool set up at all. We typically just spend our time on one side of the pool, anyway, so the two separate pools are just fine by us. It will be interesting to see how they handle the pool activities, though, unless they are all going to be by the Aquatheater? Either way, we are in!

I have to say, I am a bit dissapointed, the ship is amazing and all, but these 2 new neighborhoods arnt anything as inovative or amazing as the other neighborhoods, i was expecting another crazy concept for the pool deck, something as crazy as the boardwalk and central park, but hey, those 2 things make the ship amazing enough for me!

Disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I'm still sailing the inaugural, however, I have to admit was hoping for something different and a bit more exciting. Perhaps this will be in the next two reveals

(PS poll wouldn't let me click on the button)

• 1 year later...
I agree. That area of the ship is going to be incredibly loud due to the fact that it adjoins a floating carnival and not much sun is going to get past those huge hotel blocks unless the ship is facing north. Also, if they're going to have shows there, it's going to have to clear out around dinner time.

The upper pools were a little disappointing. The deck seems much smaller and splitting it in two means there's less deck space; more circulation space is required for two decks instead of one. Also, those glass walls aren't going to protect against splashing and flying pool toys. Stuff is going to make it to the lower deck and balconies somehow.

It doesn't seem really "innovative" to me. They just broke up the space. But with 6,000 people fighting over those chairs, it's still gonna get crowded.

You are assuming that every single person on board will want a chair which is not the truth at all. There are way too many other things to do and not everyone wants to lay out

If the ship is the destination, than this destination doesn't have much to offer in the way of pools and lounge chairs. Even if it has more chairs than any other ship, what is the ratio to passengers compared with other ships.

Especially considering the "cruise to nowhere" itineraries Oasis has. This is a ship that demands that people spend a lot of time aboard to enjoy. That time aboard should be comfortable and enjoyable, not frustrating and cramped.

As ships become more and more like destination resorts than people are going to demand better food, better service, and better space.

Archived