Poor service on QM2

Duncansmith

All,

We recently took our first ever trip on a cruise ship, sailing Southampton to Hamburg.

We received no information other than a receipt, but we worked out where to go, and got to our bunk, a Q3 cabin, which was nice.

However, when we arrived in Hamburg, we had to take a flight home. We were given the flight times, but that was it.

I approached, therefore, the Purser's office, to ask where the Airport was, and was simply told "I don't know, Ive never been to Hamburg".

So I asked if there were transfers included in our trip (the receipt didn't make this clear at all); we paid the 'Cunard' fare.

Again, I was simply told "I don't know, but I do know there's a strike on the public transport system, so good luck".

I had enough, left the ship, walked to the train station, where, contrary to what we had been told, there were trains running.

I must say, I think it is very poor that Cunard don't tell give people information about getting to the airport at the ports they visit.

Was this, perhaps, a one off, or am I expecting too much that they render assistance about the trip home.

I should add, I have complained to Cunard. They acknowledged receipt, said they would respond in 28 days, but needless to say, that deadline has come and gone over a week ago, without response.

Edited by Duncansmith

PARTIAL QUOTE

All,

However, when we arrived in Hamburg, we had to take a flight home. We were given the flight times, but that was it.

I approached, therefore, the Purser's office, to ask where the Airport was, and was simply told "I don't know, Ive never been to Hamburg"...

Reminded me of this...

...conversation occurred in the 1950s between the Tempelhof ATC and a departing BEA pilot who was having trouble following his taxiing directions. The ATC finally snapped at him impatiently, "Vat iz the matter wit you? Have you never to Berlin before been?" To which the British pilot replied, "Oh yes, dozens of times old boy, but it was dark and we never actually landed you see."

Edited by Salacia

No, the tickets were included in the fare.
Thank you, in which case, on every trip (except one) I've been on (where a flight was included) the transfer to the airport was included as well.

On such a short trip, with so much going on and so much to do, it is easy to miss the all-important pieces of paper telling you where to go on board to meet the others in your group for transfers to the airport.

If you think about it, there would have been many, many people on board doing the same as you (taking a two-night trip and then the flight home). So coaches would have been laid on to get these passengers to the airport. So sorry to read that, on this occasion you missed joining them.

I have also done the trip to Hamburg and back on two separate occasions, and on both I was offered transfers and flights home as part of the "deal". As it happens I decided to book both "legs" as a "back-to-back", stay on board, and return by sea rather than fly home (I've also been offered a fly-to-Hamburg, transfers and sail home deal).

But had I decided to spend only two nights on board the ship, and then fly back, the package included transfers and flights as standard.

You don't say about timings, but it is possible that you reported to the Purser's Desk after the transfer coaches had left the ship, and therefore had to make your own arrangements, or didn't make clear to the member of the staff that you were on an "all-inclusive" (ship-coach-flight) deal. Hence the confusion.

I've always made certain that I know exactly what is included in my fare, and what isn't (the one time transfer wasn't included, I knew months in advance that I would have to make my own way from Newark Airport to my hotel in Manhattan before joining QM2). I am frankly surprised that you left this important transfer to chance and didn't bother to enquire about it at the time of booking, or when boarding, or during your time on board. We all live and learn in life, hopefully.

Still, I hope this experience hasn't soured your desire to cruise again with Cunard, and that the benefits of a Q3 suite and your time on board your taster cruise, with superb service and excellent food, will encourage you to book a longer trip next time. You should try a transatlantic crossing, that is a wonderful experience.

With all good wishes and happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

So if I'm reading this correctly you had your flight information and probably the tickets and you knew which airport you were flying from. I've always found that if I get into a taxi the driver knows where the airport is so I would have done that probably. It isn't surprising that the Purser's staff didn't know what was included in your fare, they stopped hiring psychics quite a while ago.

So if I'm reading this correctly you had your flight information and probably the tickets and you knew which airport you were flying from. I've always found that if I get into a taxi the driver knows where the airport is so I would have done that probably. It isn't surprising that the Purser's staff didn't know what was included in your fare, they stopped hiring psychics quite a while ago.[/QUOTE]

Darn those cutbacks! Full employment for psychics I say!

So if I'm reading this correctly you had your flight information and probably the tickets and you knew which airport you were flying from. I've always found that if I get into a taxi the driver knows where the airport is so I would have done that probably. It isn't surprising that the Purser's staff didn't know what was included in your fare, they stopped hiring psychics quite a while ago.

Have they also stopped hiring people who could tap a room number into a computer and tell me?

Are you not surprised that when I asked how to get to the airport, they said "I don't know"

Edited by Duncansmith

Have they also stopped hiring people who could tap a room number into a computer and tell me?

Are you not surprised that when I asked how to get to the airport, they said "I don't know"

I'm surprised that you would even ask, your onward transportation is not their responsibility; it is yours! If you had a transfer arranged with them you should have been aware of that quite important fact and if you didn't then how the hell do you think that you will get to the airport.

So if I'm reading this correctly you had your flight information and probably the tickets and you knew which airport you were flying from. I've always found that if I get into a taxi the driver knows where the airport is so I would have done that probably. It isn't surprising that the Purser's staff didn't know what was included in your fare, they stopped hiring psychics quite a while ago.[/QUOTE]

Darn those cutbacks! Full employment for psychics I say!

I don't blame the cutbacks, they should have seen it coming!!

Reminds me of the tourist in New York who asked "How do I get to Carnegie

Hall?"

And the reply was "Practice, practice, practice!"

(Ok, it's an old one, but drum roll, please :)

I'm surprised that you would even ask, your onward transportation is not their responsibility; it is yours! If you had a transfer arranged with them you should have been aware of that quite important fact and if you didn't then how the hell do you think that you will get to the airport.

How should I have been aware? If I book a package (Ship and flight) it was my expectation that they would include transfer. I really do think they should know if they are included!

In fact, I think they were included - but the Purser's Office couldn't be bothered to look it up.

How should I have been aware? If I book a package (Ship and flight) it was my expectation that they would include transfer. I really do think they should know if they are included!

In fact, I think they were included - but the Purser's Office couldn't be bothered to look it up.

So what is the wording in your contract?

And if you don't have one, what did the advertised rate all include?

I for my part would check at least the inclusive parts (such as fare, meals, transfers and airfare) and if I'd be missing out one of the promised components ( such as a transfer) - the people at the purser's desk could not brush me off with "I don't know".

I would make sure that he'd find out and then complain about a poor service.

Edited by Yoshikitty

So what is the wording in your contract?

And if you don't have one, what did the advertised rate all include?

I for my part would check at least the inclusive parts (such as fare, meals, transfers and airfare) and if I'd be missing out one of the promised components ( such as a transfer) - the people at the purser's desk could not brush me off with "I don't know".

I would make sure that he'd find out and then complain about a poor service.

Transfers are arranged by the Tours office and the details are sent to the individuals and published in the daily programme, if the OP didn't have the sense to check the perhaps his carer should have.

I've never done this trip but on all my Cunard cruises disembarkation information has been pretty clear and received at the cabin the day before.

When we had a flight arranged with Cunard, transfers were included and times & flight numbers were included in the disembarkation leaflet.

Did you receive any disembarkation information ?

I've never done this trip but on all my Cunard cruises disembarkation information has been pretty clear and received at the cabin the day before.

When we had a flight arranged with Cunard, transfers were included and times & flight numbers were included in the disembarkation leaflet.

Did you receive any disembarkation information ?

i would agree with this. it has been our experience that we could almost staple our paperwork to our coats and go to sleep......cunard would have us home by the time we awoke.

PARTIAL QUOTE

Reminded me of this...

...conversation occurred in the 1950s between the Tempelhof ATC and a departing BEA pilot who was having trouble following his taxiing directions. The ATC finally snapped at him impatiently, "Vat iz the matter wit you? Have you never to Berlin before been?" To which the British pilot replied, "Oh yes, dozens of times old boy, but it was dark and we never actually landed you see."

Is this funny?

Don't you bear any responsibility for knowing what you actually booked? If you don't know, why should anyone on ship? It's the big, bad world of business and just expecting something without doing your homework is a critical first step in an almost guaranteed failure.

If you were in a Q3 I'm amazed you didn't just ask the butler to sort it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salacia viewpost.gif

PARTIAL QUOTE

Reminded me of this...

Is this funny?

Depends on your nationality

pretty often transfers are included in a package which combines cruise and airfare. I don't know how it is in the UK, here it's pretty much always.

I am using this service frequently. Special luggage tags are issued 2 days before disembarkation to your stateroom in an envelope with clear instruction how to proceed.

If transfer is on your own an information stand is inside the cruise terminal.

The train strike was cut buy a day so you were lucky indeed. Cunard couldn't know this as noone knew.

Just packing for QE now:)