Into the Midnight Sun attire

perlgirlnj

This is a sort of catch-all question about how people dress on the Into the Midnight Sun itinerary. Our sailing is the June 25 - July 9 timeframe and we'll be in Oslo a few days early, and London a few days at the end. Specifically:

• I'm thinking in terms of black jeans/chinos/khakis and waterproof sneakers for daytimes. Does this make sense?
  • I'm thinking of black slacks/cropped pants and pretty shirts with black flats for evenings on the ship. Does this make sense? How dressy should the shoes be?
  • We have Columbia Sportswear 3-in-1 waterproof jackets with zip-out fleece lining that we lived in when we were in Alaska. A good choice? Do we need other outerwear?
  • I'm planning on doing A LOT of outfit repeating or adapting because we'll be gone for nearly 3 weeks in total and will be carrying our luggage on a Nutshell tour en route to Bergen.
  • My husband, who is still smarting over the Baltic trip where I told him he wouldn't need shorts and then it was 80 degrees, wants to bring shorts. Is there any point to this?

Our first European cruise was on Azamara, which doesn't have a formal night but is "country club casual". I didn't bring anything particularly "smart" to wear (especially shoe-wise) and felt underdressed most evenings. I'm trying to avoid that again, without going crazy on luggage.

If anyone has insight on this, I'd be most appreciative.

We are doing the Midnight Sun cruise that departs 6/3. Your list looks about like mine. So I hope you are on point 😀 We are flying into Oslo early for a few days and doing the Nutshell trip precruise also with an overnight in Flam on the way. We are using the Porterservice.no to transfer our luggage from Oslo to Bergen so we don't have to lug it along from train to train to ferry to bus and back to train again. Don't know if you are interested but it might make your Nutshell trip a lot easier.

We did Midnight Sun with Viking in 2016 --one of the test runs for the 2017 sailings.

In no particular order, the 3 in 1 jackets should work. It will give you plenty of options. Don't forget hat and gloves, which you will want for Honnigsvag if it is cool or windy that day, for Mt. Dalsnibba in Geiranger (much colder up there than it is down on the water), etc.

Yes, hubby should bring a pair of shorts. You never know what the temps will be. Our day in Honnigsvag, it was 70 degrees --down right balmy as far as the locals were concerned. Of course, the cruise before us had cold and rainy, so there is just no way of predicting in advance.

While I saw everything from over-dressed to under-dressed for dinner on our cruise, most of the people seemed to opt for casual but neat comfort. So my reaction to what to pack for day and evening is to simply wear what makes you happy--and comfortable. Most of the men-but not all- left the sports jackets home--but it seemed to be a personal choice for the guys that always wear a jacket to dinner. Viking calls it "elegant casual" but as I have said before, I just can't ever seem to pull off elegant anything and just settle for neat and comfortable.

Yes, do wear outfits over and over again. It is the only way to go and so easy to accomplish with the laundry service and the launderettes.

As for shoes, again, go for comfort. I took one pair of simple flats for dinner and two pairs of Skecher GoWalks for day. I may have even worn the GoWalks to dinner a couple of times.

We are basically doing the same itinerary as you-going to Oslo early and staying in London for a few days after the cruise. We are doing the train from Oslo to Bergen and using Porterservice.no to take our luggage from Oslo to Bergen. We were on the Homelands cruise lasy year and I rarely saw anyone "dressed up". All the clothes you mentioned are the ones in my suitcase!!!!:p

Gigiandbaba and mhb1757: Question for you about porterservice. We're doing the Sognjefjord in a Nutshell that doesn't get in to Bergen until 8:45 PM on embarkation day (Sunday for us). I was concerned that the luggage would arrive before we would and if there would be problems at the pier with the luggage being there in advance. Have you heard anything about how that is handled? Are you coming in on your embarkation day or before? Are you getting in as late as we are? Also, I think we'll be leaving Oslo potentially before the pickup occurs and I was wondering about that as well.

We are leaving Oslo on the 24th and staying in a hotel that night-the luggage service picks up our luggage at the hotel around 7am on the 24th, and we are catching the 8:25 train to Bergen, and they will deliver it to the hotel in Bergen by 8pm that night. I guess you could check with the porter service to see where they would drop them off. You might be able to state when you want the bags to be dropped off.

We are also taking the 8:25 train out of Oslo. Our hotel was too far away from the city center for an early pickup by the Porter Service folks so they are going to meet us at the train station at 7:50 to get our luggage. We will spend 1 night in Flam en route to Bergen and are staying in a hotel in Bergen for 2 nights prior to boarding Our Bergen hotel will hold our luggage until we arrive. So I'm not sure if they could deliver your bags directly to the ship. I do know they respond to emails promptly so you might want to ask them directly (http://www.porterservice.no)

I brought too many "nice" clothes for dinner this month on the Viking Sky. I ended up wearing my more comfortable clothes in the evening and forgoing the nicer things that I brought. Next time I will know that nobody cares what you wear to dinner. After all, you are sitting down and nobody can see your lower half! I only wear flats and I also wore my gowalks to dinner a few times. We also ate at the World Cafe a lot more than we thought we would because the food was so good and it didn't take 2 to 2 and a half hours. I never wore jeans to the dining room but I did ask the restaurant manager, Angela, if they were allowed and she said yes. She said the only restriction was no shorts.

We are doing the Midnight Sun cruise that departs 6/3. Your list looks about like mine. So I hope you are on point 😀 We are flying into Oslo early for a few days and doing the Nutshell trip precruise also with an overnight in Flam on the way. We are using the Porterservice.no to transfer our luggage from Oslo to Bergen so we don't have to lug it along from train to train to ferry to bus and back to train again. Don't know if you are interested but it might make your Nutshell trip a lot easier.

My husband and I are also doing the NiN from Oslo to Bergen prior to the cruise departing on JUne 25. We've organised our overnight in Flam so that we arrive in Bergen and are able to board upon arrival. Has anyone else done this and does that luggage transportation you've been mentioning take the bags to the ship or only hotels? Thanks. Jan

My husband and I are also doing the NiN from Oslo to Bergen prior to the cruise departing on JUne 25. We've organised our overnight in Flam so that we arrive in Bergen and are able to board upon arrival. Has anyone else done this and does that luggage transportation you've been mentioning take the bags to the ship or only hotels? Thanks. Jan

I'm not sure if the Porter Service will deliver to the ship or just to hotels. You could email them at the address above and let us know what they say.

The only issue I see is related to your overnight in Flam. They usually deliver luggage to Bergen the afternoon/evening of the same day they collect the luggage in Oslo. So if you are overnighting in Flam there might not be anyplace for them to deliver the luggage that day. They might be willing to hold your luggage one day and deliver the day you board the ship or you might be able to work something out with Viking to have the luggage delivered to the Radisson Blu which is where the people on the Viking extension stay and they have a rep stationed there that might be able to take delivery of your luggage.

I brought too many "nice" clothes for dinner this month on the Viking Sky. I ended up wearing my more comfortable clothes in the evening and forgoing the nicer things that I brought. Next time I will know that nobody cares what you wear to dinner. After all, you are sitting down and nobody can see your lower half! I only wear flats and I also wore my gowalks to dinner a few times. We also ate at the World Cafe a lot more than we thought we would because the food was so good and it didn't take 2 to 2 and a half hours. I never wore jeans to the dining room but I did ask the restaurant manager, Angela, if they were allowed and she said yes. She said the only restriction was no shorts.

We're going mid-June and so I've been curious about the weather in Norway as well. I suppose most people aren't huge fans of the World Cafe, but we are - especially if we can eat outside. However, I'm not sure that eating outside (breakfast and dinner) n Norway in mid-June will work. Will we have to wear a jacket or sweater? How about when we're cruising down, say, Geirangerfjord and standing up top (Explorers Lounge, outside, perhaps)?

We're going mid-June and so I've been curious about the weather in Norway as well. I suppose most people aren't huge fans of the World Cafe, but we are - especially if we can eat outside. However, I'm not sure that eating outside (breakfast and dinner) n Norway in mid-June will work. Will we have to wear a jacket or sweater? How about when we're cruising down, say, Geirangerfjord and standing up top (Explorers Lounge, outside, perhaps)?

Yes, it was chilly but there were still a few hardy souls out there. In the mornings, it can be damp (sometimes because they are cleaning at that time of day) and if the ship is underway, it is a bit breezy--but the scenery as you sail along in Norway is delightful because you are rarely far from land.

Perigirlnj

Are you doing the Viking extension in London or doing your own planning? we have yet to settle on a definite way to get from Greenwich to downtown London, and our hotel. I know you posted extensive ideas for getting into London, but just wondered how you intend to travel.

Looking forward to the cruise and perhaps seeing you on board.

Sharon

Perigirlnj

Are you doing the Viking extension in London or doing your own planning? we have yet to settle on a definite way to get from Greenwich to downtown London, and our hotel. I know you posted extensive ideas for getting into London, but just wondered how you intend to travel.

Looking forward to the cruise and perhaps seeing you on board.

Sharon

We are doing London on our own. I think that we're going to book a car service to take us to the hotel and then use that same car service a few days later to get us to the airport for an early flight. I was going to use Uber but I'd like something set up ahead of time. On our roll call, someone was recommending Blackberry Cars; I may use them or I may use a different company. I hadn't booked it yet as it seemed too early and both wanted the postal code to estimate prices. I did get an email from the customer service person at Viking who gave me the specific address & code if you need it.

Also getting excited and hope to meet you on board!

Amy

As for shoes, again, go for comfort. I took one pair of simple flats for dinner and two pairs of Skecher GoWalks for day. I may have even worn the GoWalks to dinner a couple of times.

Peregrina, how did those Skechers do in the rain, or was it dry your whole trip? I bought a pair of the GoWalks, and they're heavenly but I'm still debating the waterproof sneakers which are practical but heavy and not multipurpose.

Peregrina, how did those Skechers do in the rain, or was it dry your whole trip? I bought a pair of the GoWalks, and they're heavenly but I'm still debating the waterproof sneakers which are practical but heavy and not multipurpose.

I think the only rain we had was in Bergen--and Bergen is the rainiest city in Norway-- and my feet were fine.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Into the Midnight Sun July 1 cruise on the Viking Sky from Greenwich to Bergen. Being Yankees by birth but living in Texas for 40 years we have become acclimated to Texas weather such that we now feel chilly in temperatures below 65 deg or so. Looking at the weather for the cruise ports it appears that the average temperatures will range from the mid 40's to mid 60's and low 70's. Our plans are to take only long sleeve shirts, blouses, etc. No shorts. Fall weight coat, hat, and gloves. We figure we can always discard the coats, gloves, hats, sweatshirts, and sweaters if the weather becomes unseasonably warm. It also appears that the wind is always strongly blowing where we are going and, of course, on deck while the ship is underway. Can anyone who's been there and done that provide any further guidance as to the rationale for our wardrobe choices?

I brought a pair of Go Walks and pair of Ecco sandals for my 15 day cruise in Spain/Portugal last summer with a diffrent cruise line.

I wore my Go Walks on a day when it poured when we were in Sintra. My feet were fine. My shoes were wet , but not the footbed, just put them on my balcony when we got back to my ship and they dried out quickly.

Going to bring those same pair of shoes for my Viking Cruise in March 2018.

We are on Into the Midnight Sun July 1 cruise on the Viking Sky from Greenwich to Bergen. Being Yankees by birth but living in Texas for 40 years we have become acclimated to Texas weather such that we now feel chilly in temperatures below 65 deg or so. Looking at the weather for the cruise ports it appears that the average temperatures will range from the mid 40's to mid 60's and low 70's. Our plans are to take only long sleeve shirts, blouses, etc. No shorts. Fall weight coat, hat, and gloves. We figure we can always discard the coats, gloves, hats, sweatshirts, and sweaters if the weather becomes unseasonably warm. It also appears that the wind is always strongly blowing where we are going and, of course, on deck while the ship is underway. Can anyone who's been there and done that provide any further guidance as to the rationale for our wardrobe choices?

The weather is changeable regardless of what the forecasts say, especially on the Midnight Sun itinerary, where you need to be ready for unseasonable cold as well as unseasonably warm.

Layering is good but I find even the thinnest weight polartec fleece warmer and less bulky (thus easier to pack) than sweatshirts. Cotton sweatshirts also don't keep you warm if they get wet. For your shirts, take a couple of different weights, even if you take only take long sleeves. Polartec or quilted vests are my best friend; you feel warmer if your torso warm -- and they provide an extra set of pockets.

Don't forget bathing suits for the spa and for the covered pool on deck 7.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious what your final packing list ending up looking like for this itinerary? Like you, we want to do carry-on only for our July 9th cruise. From one Andrea to another, I would love to see your final list!

I'm currently on Star on our cruise, and while our cruise is probably only about a third over, I can tell you that anything and everything goes - although if you only bring shorts and t-shirts you'll be cold! I brought a half down jacket, hat and gloves. I haven't worn them yet, except both days in Iceland pre-cruise. I think layering is definitely the key, and I would take a pair of shorts and lightweight shirt if you want to go to the pools, walk around a lot, etc. If you want to go outside on the deck, there are times when you probably need a good jacket or several layers. If you go to places on a peninsula, like we did in the Orkney Islands on a private tour, you may want to be wearing something more than that for the half hour to hour you spend there. I've literally seen people wearing down jacket and hood when they walked around the 360 outside deck on 2, plus people in shorts - who wore them all day around the ship. The ship is fairly warm inside, and the pool area is warm and sheltered enough to be able to go there in a bathing suit or shorts/shirt.

We've only been to London, Edinburgh, and Kirkwall. London was positively hot and humid, but that was unusual. Edinburgh was light jacket weather or long sleeve weather if you tolerated slightly cold weather OK, with a little bit of wind. Kirkwall was pretty much like Edinburgh. Cloudy days with and some sun greeted us in the UK, other than London with its full on sun. Occasionally we had very light spitting type showers, but basically no rain yet. Wind has been present but usually not too much unless you're near an unsheltered area like a cape. But we get to our first stop in Norway tomorrow (captain had to cancel Lerwick due to wind) and who knows what the western coast of Norway may bring? The North Sea so far has been very calm. I seldom realize the ship is moving. There was one night where it rolled a little, and you could feel it, but I doubt it was a problem for the vast majority of cruisers. We've eaten outside at World Cafe a few times, but not sure how long that will last. (We're heading north.)

We've had cool and sometimes cold weather for the first half of the trip with some rain. I've found that my two pairs of fairly heavyweight but not too tight yoga pants have been my go to touring outfit, topped with a t-shirt or turtleneck under a fleece jacket, with a raincoat handy if needed. The pants don't absorb water the way 100% cotton materials do. I've loved the fleeces I brought - light enough to wear inside the ship but cozy when spending time on deck taking pictures. As everyone says, layers are definitely a plus.

I went with all black base layers - pants, t-shirts and turtle necks, with blue and green shirts and fleeces, plus four scarves of different types/colors that help things look a bit different each time. There were some dressy outfits yesterday in conjunction with the ship's christening, but for the most part everyone's fairly casual but neat - think nice outfits from any of the company's that focus on active clothing for outdoors and travel, such as Columbia, LL Bean, Patagonia, and Ex Officio. I see lots of folks wearing Keens and Brooks shoes, with mostly flats and sandals for "dress up". Not a lot of high heels.

As I write the weather's changed yet again. Blue skies with just a few fluffy clouds and the sun still way above the horizon at 8:00 pm!