Regent Navigator public areas-- temperature

whoopie

I am debating between bringing a light sweater or a fleece sweater for indoors. I know outdoors on tours it will be quite warm (Miami to Vancouver via Panama Canal, many South American ports) but wonder how the a/c onboard is in public areas?

You are likely to get replies that are all over the place. Firstly, people have different heat and cold tolerances. I was raised in Southern California which, as you know, can be quite hot and we live with air conditioning (as you likely do). We now live in Washington state where people are not used to air conditioning (nor are people from the U.K.). So, people from cooler climates tend to find Regent ships cold to freezing while I find it fine to warmish (I actually purchased a small digital room thermometer and it was in the 70's in Compass Rose which some found cold).

Temperatures in restaurants start out a bit cool for some people but warm up quickly as they fill up. So, the best advice I can give you is that if you tend to be cold, bring a sweater, pashmina or other wrap. If you are like me, none is necessary.

Hope that you enjoy your cruise!

I'm a great fan of pashminas and wraps. John calls them my "blankets". They don't take up much space in the suitcase, they can dress up any simple outfit and are easy to drop off my shoulders if it's too warm.

Just to say that my husband and I are among the Regent cruisers who virtually always find the ships very cold. (Haven't been on Navigator though.) This was the case back when we lived in cooler climates, as well as our warmer one now. We always have to wrap up in some way or another in the restaurants, and we often do same in other areas of the ship as well. To echo what Tc and Mudhen have said: Be sure to bring a wrap or sweater if you tend to feel cool. (We find the Regent restaurants colder than any land restaurants we've been in. Have heard others remark the same. But as Tc said, many others will not find it too cold at all.)

I hope you enjoy your cruise! We've loved every single Regent cruise we've been on.

I'm a great fan of pashminas and wraps. John calls them my "blankets". They don't take up much space in the suitcase, they can dress up any simple outfit and are easy to drop off my shoulders if it's too warm.

Haha. I refer to my shawl as "blankie."

Yes, the public spaces tend to be cold. The larger the venue, the more likely it is to be cold.

I've learned from dealing with hotels and convention centers in putting on conferences how hard it is to maintain a comfortable temperature in large spaces. Inevitably, it's either too hot or too cold. Subscribing, I suppose, to the notion that you can always put on more clothing, but there's a limit to how much you can (or should) take off, Regent seems to go to the cold end of the spectrum.

Interestingly enough, I found the Navigator warm on our recent cruise to the South Pacific. I never had to take a shawl to dinner or to the theater in contrast to other cruises (even in the Middle East!!!) where we were draping napkins over our shoulders it was so cold in Compass Rose. Perhaps this was because the World Cruise skewed to much older demographic, they raised the core temps on the ship. At any rate, take a shawl...it's light and easy to pack!

I've learned from dealing with hotels and convention centers in putting on conferences how hard it is to maintain a comfortable temperature in large spaces. Inevitably' date=' it's either too hot or too cold. Subscribing, I suppose, to the notion that you can always put on more clothing, but there's a limit to how much you can (or should) take off, Regent seems to go to the cold end of the spectrum.[/quote']

I also subscribe to this notion which is why I can't understand why CR is kept so warm on most ships (we find Explorer's temperature quite comfortable which would likely mean that others will freeze). When you are too warm, there is really nothing you can do but be uncomfortable. IMO, the ship should be a constant 68 degrees. Having it 74 degrees when one is dressed for dinner is quite warm for some of us.

I also subscribe to this notion which is why I can't understand why CR is kept so warm on most ships (we find Explorer's temperature quite comfortable which would likely mean that others will freeze). When you are too warm, there is really nothing you can do but be uncomfortable. IMO, the ship should be a constant 68 degrees. Having it 74 degrees when one is dressed for dinner is quite warm for some of us.

If it was below 72 I would freeze. I take shawls but 68 to me is very cold when it is forced air.. I would be in my winter jammies or legging. no thank you. now i have a better idea what to wear to dinners. I will be on two cruise ships before regent so i will have what i normally wear plus some cold air con clothes.

If it was below 72 I would freeze. I take shawls but 68 to me is very cold when it is forced air.. I would be in my winter jammies or legging. no thank you. now i have a better idea what to wear to dinners. I will be on two cruise ships before regent so i will have what i normally wear plus some cold air con clothes.

Interestingly, we went to a restaurant on the bay near our house this afternoon. We walked in and it felt like a sauna. They checked on the temperature an were upset to see the thermometer set at 75 degrees.

While I agree that 68 degrees with air conditioning can be cold, without air conditioning blowing on your it can be comfortable. For us (used to air conditioning), 72 with air conditioning on and blowing near us would be fine.

In terms of the ships, there has to be a temperature that most passengers tolerate. As has been said, it one is too cold, there are many ways to warm up (sweaters, pashminas, blazers). For those of us that are too warm, there is nothing that we can do to make ourselves comfortable.

Agree! I live in the Northeast a relatively cooler climate and I found the restaurants very chilly. I packed pashminas and shawls and used all of them. Pashminas are so light weight and packable and can change an outfit so they also add versatility in addition to warmth!

And while I agree that one can always add layers to stay warmer, there have been a number of times when I have been so cold that muscles have ached. While it may be fine to say that it is easy to get warm, many people go a restaurant expecting to be mildly cool so they take a sweater but really are in need of a Parka. It can be just as uncomfortable to someone who is overly warm.

I had avoided chiming in on this thread because I'm always too warm and I thrive in colder venues - whereas my wife will take sweaters, wraps, and quite possibly the aforementioned parkas to get through dinner.

That said, we both found CR on Explorer to be comfortable, me in slacks & short sleeves and her in a lightweight dress with a wrap. Of course, we both kind of self-regulated our body temperatures with pre-dinner cocktails, so what do I know?

And while I agree that one can always add layers to stay warmer, there have been a number of times when I have been so cold that muscles have ached. While it may be fine to say that it is easy to get warm, many people go a restaurant expecting to be mildly cool so they take a sweater but really are in need of a Parka. It can be just as uncomfortable to someone who is overly warm.

Totally agree. I have been so cold in some restaurants that I could not enjoy my dinner.

I had avoided chiming in on this thread because I'm always too warm and I thrive in colder venues - whereas my wife will take sweaters, wraps, and quite possibly the aforementioned parkas to get through dinner.

That said, we both found CR on Explorer to be comfortable, me in slacks & short sleeves and her in a lightweight dress with a wrap. Of course, we both kind of self-regulated our body temperatures with pre-dinner cocktails, so what do I know?

This thread is getting interesting. I never imagined that anyone would need a parka at 70 degrees. It seems that discussing actual temperatures is easier for people to relate to than whether a place is cold or hot. When it is 70 degrees where we live, people are in shorts (but I understand that people in Florida can be freezing in the 60's). IMO, based on comments I've heard in lounges on Regent ships (not the Explorer), it is the air conditioning rather than the temperature that is the issue. I was thinking about the years growing up in L.A. (San Fernando Valley) where it is hot too much of the time. We went from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to air conditioned stores and restaurants. It was just the way life was (and still is). I do recall that sometimes when it was over 100 degrees outside that when the air conditioning brought it down to 80 in the house, it was comfortable (as long as the air was on). There are so many variables.

In any case, we are talking about Regent ships and no one needs a parka or a coat in their restaurants.

Bill, I like your idea - if you have enough to drink you can adjust easier (to just about anything). Still, I recommend to people that tend to be cold to bring a sweater or other wrap (or parka:evilsmile:) and for those of us that find CR too warm, wear short sleeved shirts, dresses or blouses. At least we can turn the air conditioning up as high as it will go inside of the suite.

Totally agree. I have been so cold in some restaurants that I could not enjoy my dinner.

On Oceania this winter i walked out of the steak house twice. once to get a shawl and the second partly because i was still cold and my so called sharing was one couple. the woman ruin my dinner as she played 50 questions and my dinner got cold.i am not at dinner to play 50 questions but to relax and meet new people. seems AZ is a few degrees warmer in most venues or a shawl works not in the steak house.

Yep, too many variables to really give any solid advice. It was 55* this morning here in Greenville and I walked my dog in shorts and a t-shirt (I was the one in the shorts and t-shirt, not the dog). Everyone else I ran into was wearing long pants and jackets and they all - ALL - complained about the cold.

There's a huge difference between 95* in Colorado and 95* in South Carolina. Humidity, breezes, and available shade all make a huge difference. Just the same with being indoors in an air-conditioned space - if you have a vent blowing on you it can be quite uncomfortable. If you're sitting by a window in the sun, it can be quite uncomfortable. Guess who always gets stuck sitting under the AC vent in MY family? ;p

Yep, too many variables to really give any solid advice. It was 55* this morning here in Greenville and I walked my dog in shorts and a t-shirt (I was the one in the shorts and t-shirt, not the dog). Everyone else I ran into was wearing long pants and jackets and they all - ALL - complained about the cold.

There's a huge difference between 95* in Colorado and 95* in South Carolina. Humidity, breezes, and available shade all make a huge difference. Just the same with being indoors in an air-conditioned space - if you have a vent blowing on you it can be quite uncomfortable. If you're sitting by a window in the sun, it can be quite uncomfortable. Guess who always gets stuck sitting under the AC vent in MY family? ;p

Excellent points - especially the one about sitting by a window in the sun. During the summer when it remains light until quite late, I recommend for those of you that tend to feel cold to ask to sit on the side of the ship where the sun will be going down as it is quite warm there. Also, on Explorer, the slanted windows in the far back of P7 and Chartreuse can be quite toasty!

68 degrees is FREEZING. I would never sail with Regent again if they did that! I always take my puffy winter coat and I NEED it in the theater. IMO it is ridiculous how cold it is

68 degrees is FREEZING. I would never sail with Regent again if they did that! I always take my puffy winter coat and I NEED it in the theater. IMO it is ridiculous how cold it is

Just Googled the average winter temperature in Michigan and it came out 31 degrees....... now that is freezing.:) Do you have air conditioning in your home? I think that air conditioning is what makes people feel so cold (if you are not used to it). We keep our home at 67 degrees. Currently it is 70 degrees - we have our doors open and are wearing summer clothing. I think this is about what each of us are used to. Also, humidity plays a big role (we live near the water so that makes it feel warmer).

According to my trusty thermometer, CR is in the low 70's but may start out lower since it warms up as the restaurant fills up. I'm okay onboard - as long as the temperatures don't exceed 74.

I do understand how uncomfortable temperatures can be when you are not used to it. In warm climates, I am so uncomfortable that I can barely breathe and, at times, think that I'm going to melt and become a puddle. For this reason, I'm buying all sorts of gadgets this summer to keep cool in hot weather in preparation for our Amazon cruise (and for the same reason, we moved from California to Washington state).