Norwegian Getaway Late June Baltic sailing?

otisbuckley

Hi:

I am new to cruising and new to this forum, so I hope I haven't posted in the wrong spot. I am considering a last minute cruise from Copenhagen to the Baltics. I am going to be solo this time, so NCL caught my eye. I have not been able to find reviews for this exact itinerary. Has anyone done this particular cruise on the Getaway. I am moderately picky and some of the reviews of NCL are scary.

Thanks for any feedback.

Whilst the Getaway is only just starting doing this itinerary, the Star has been doing it for the past few years, so you can get some details of the ports by looking at reviews from that ship.

There is nothing to be scared of about the Getaway. It's a cruise ship. That's a good thing. :)

Hi: I am new to cruising and new to this forum, so I hope I haven't posted in the wrong spot. I am considering a last minute cruise from Copenhagen to the Baltics. I am going to be solo this time, so NCL caught my eye. I have not been able to find reviews for this exact itinerary. Has anyone done this particular cruise on the Getaway. I am moderately picky and some of the reviews of NCL are scary. Thanks for any feedback.

Don't be scared. Lots of trolls out there stirring the pot.

The Getaway is a great ship (we have sailed on the GA twice and her sister ships the Breakaway and Escape 4 times). If you like the ports, book it.

The Getaway is just starting that itinerary for the first time (NCL had small ships on the itinerary last year). And I have not seen anyone live blogging from the ship.

Depending on your nationality, please ensure that you have the right travel documents for the countries visited.

We are actually on our way to NYC flying tomorrow to Iceland then on to Denmark Wed. Doing the Baltic Cruise. We are not too picky so not sure we could give you good answers, but you can see if I have the answers after that.

To OP : There are surely people that do not like NCL. And, there are people that enjoy it. If you were to provide a bit more of other cruises you have done, folks can GUESS at what you might encounter and if it would work for you.

Hopefully you come back and reply.

I booked a July Baltics cruise on a whim this week. My old roommate said he was going to be working on the boat, my original plans got really complicated and expensive so I decided to just cruise. I could do without St. Pete's only because I currently teach at an international school in Russia and it's summer! I might go to the bank and the ballet and have one of the girls at work book a ticket for me, I do have the all-encompassing Russian visa and can go by myself. Or just hope everyone else gets off ;p and have the boat to myself.

Just back from soloing that itinerary on the Getaway's first sailing there. Had a great time. Any specific questions you want answers to?

The Getaway is a big ship and is probably not my favourite, but there was nothing that would make me avoid her. The experiences on the Transatlantic were not repeated on the Baltic Capitals cruise.

Just back from soloing that itinerary on the Getaway's first sailing there. Had a great time. Any specific questions you want answers to?

The Getaway is a big ship and is probably not my favourite, but there was nothing that would make me avoid her. The experiences on the Transatlantic were not repeated on the Baltic Capitals cruise.

Huntingdon1701: Please post a separate trip report. Those of us doing the Getaway Baltic cruise later in the summer would love any information you have.

We're also just back from this sailing. It's going to take a few days to post a review, but I'm here to answer specific questions. This was our first trip on the Getaway and our first time in the Haven (2 bedroom suite for 4 adults). So, questions specific to either of those topics or the ports visited are welcome! So far, Huntingdon is doing a fantastic job (based on his perspective as a solo traveler).

• 5 months later...

With apologies to all who have had good experience on the Getaway! We sailed on this ship previously from/to Miami via the Us and British Virgin Islands and throughly enjoyed everything. However our more recent cruise round the Baltics was a great disappointment for a number of reasons:

Firstly the lack of supervision in the theatre. People were allowed to arrive well after the performance had started and after the disruption that caused many people decided to stand or sit in the aisles. Surely a safety issue?

Secondly, with my wife having mobility issues we made sure at the excursion desk that a wheelchair would be provided at a right time to take her to the excursion point. Never worked for us, still had to remind excursion staff of our needs because otherwise we would have missed the excursion. This was a particular issue with the booked excursion in St Petersburg, where the coach left before we were able to clear security. We were eventually found a place on another excursion which was ok as far as it went but missed some of the sights we were particularly keen to see.

Hopefully others have had better experiences and although we won't be ditching ncl in the future we will not cruise with one of their bigger ships again, unless we have some confidence that they have enough experienced crew to properly manage the theatre and cater for people with mobility issues