Eurodam to Alaska with the Two Cruising Sisters 5/20-27

We knew Sol when he was the show host on some other ships and really liked him. We saw him last on the Maasdam last fall when he was doing a training session for a show host. We was heading back to the K-dam. It's good to see HAL giving younger guys some opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, food is subjective. We thought Sel de Mer was much better than Le Cirque and the regular Pinnacle Grill menu, but as you can see from Lizzie 68, she prefers Le Cirque. I think gradually Sel de Mer is replacing Le Cirque on all the ships.

And yes, the main dining room serves lunch on embarkation day and sea days.

The pictures on the blog did me in:eek: I love seafood...but we also enjoy the MDR and I had already booked the Tamarind for our November cruise...but just could not resist the Sel de Mer after the pictures so I booked yesterday :D

That very well could be the reason they're changing cd's so much.

Oh that dinner looked delicious. I love the presentation of all the courses.

Did you know ahead of time that they would be on your cruise? You really lucked out! I'm happy for you ladies that you were able to experience that.

Enjoy your last day tomorrow. Vacation sure does go by fast.

I wish our work week went by as fast! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we knew ahead of time that Sel de Mer would be opening on our cruise, so I pounced:D And boo hoo, we have one more glorious day of the sybaritic cruising life, and then they kick us off the ship and back to reality:eek:

Just fyi, Deb, yesterday there was both a tea dance AND three hours of dancing at the Ocean Bar with The Band. And they will be there this evening as well. The other night when we asked them to play At Last, three couples immediately took to the dance floor.:D

How cold was it on deck in Glacier Bay. .? Finishing my packing for Saturday cruise

If it's sunny and no wind, it can feel fine. But you're in front of the Margerie Glacier for a good long time, which is essentially like being next to a giant ice cube. And it takes a long time to pass through Glacier Bay in its entirety. Wear a basic layer, an over layer, then an outer layer and adjust as necessary. I bring a shoulder bag to handle the peeling off and/or putting on of clothes while I'm on deck. But my sister and spend literally hours outside on Glacier Bay day.

We have been saving all of our daily programs , now called When and Where, and my sister will scan them all when she gets home. This helps us to remember and re-experience our cruise, and hopefully will help others who will do this itinerary in the coming months.

We appreciate all the kind comments and additional observations by our readers. We've had a great cruise, and it's been fun to share our experience. Yesterday and this last sea day/Victoria day have been full of ship board activities, and the weather has been beautiful.

Yes, we knew ahead of time that Sel de Mer would be opening on our cruise, so I pounced:D And boo hoo, we have one more glorious day of the sybaritic cruising life, and then they kick us off the ship and back to reality:eek:

Just fyi, Deb, yesterday there was both a tea dance AND three hours of dancing at the Ocean Bar with The Band. And they will be there this evening as well. The other night when we asked them to play At Last, three couples immediately took to the dance floor.:D

Aww thanks! That's a very romantic song to dance to! One of my biggest regrets is missing the band in the Ocean bar. We will just have to book another cruise next year! ;)

I would love to experience a Sel de Mer dinner!

Have you listened to the BB King Band?

Cost is $49 per person, and mariner discounts apply. I believe it's 25% for 3 star Mariners, and 50% for 4 and 5 star Mariners. There is a wine list, but I did not notice, nor were we offered, any wine pairings.

Thanks for the info. Looks to me a much better deal that Le Cirque. I hope this expands to the fleet.

I am curious, how much have you used your cabana and how windy is it in the cabana? I am thinking of renting one in a few weeks but don't want to be freezing cold out there.

We have used our cabana every day, but we are from Washington state and can handle a little wind and inclement weather. Blankets are provided, but it can get a little brisk up there, so bring along a sweater or jacket just in case. However, as the weather gets nicer over the next several weeks, it should be warmer up in the Retreat cabana area. Some of the cabanas, the ones on the sides, are protected with plexiglass. The seating area back from the cabanas is warmer, as you are sheltered from the breeze or wind. Of course, the Lido cabanas are quite sheltered within the ship, and they are a good choice for families with young children.

Yes, the BB King band on Eurodam right now is one of the best we've heard.:D

We liked them too...just wish they played some BB King songs.

The trumpet player was our favorite. He was very friendly whenever we saw him during the day in the Lido Market.

Are the cabanas at all discounted since it's Alaska? Not quite the cabana mecca, lol!

No, no discounts. In fact, they were completely booked on Glacier Bay day! The cabana was great for views, food and beverage service, and easy access to the Crow's Nest and Explorations Cafe.:D

enjoyed the BB King AllStars too. But as you observed, not too much BB King or even old school Blues. I think that's because so much of what people think of as blues nowadays has been heavily influenced by Motown and soul. I think they are playing to entertain their audience which of course is what they were hired to do.

But they were very good and I thoroughly enjoyed their sets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

enjoyed the BB King AllStars too. But as you observed, not too much BB King or even old school Blues. I think that's because so much of what people think of as blues nowadays has been heavily influenced by Motown and soul. I think they are playing to entertain their audience which of course is what they were hired to do.

But they were very good and I thoroughly enjoyed their sets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Personally, I do not care for Blues music.

Really enjoyed reading your blog everyday.Thanks so much for taking the time to do it .The menus have been very helpful ,will you be posting the menus from the night in Victoria?

Yes, my sister will wrap up the final day of our cruise on her blog, and will also scan the daily programs. Stay tuned.

Thank you for this thread. I enjoyed reading it.

You're welcome; we enjoyed doing it, and my sister loves photographing and writing up her blog. It helps us remember our experience. This Alaska cruise wasn't as active and full of excursions as previous cruises, but we accomplished what we were looking to do, which was to provide ourselves a little respite and refreshment in our currently somewhat chaotic lives.

Looks like the two of you had a great cruise! You always do. Glad it went well. We just got back from our flight yesterday and ours was great too. I have a bunch of tiles for you two from prior cruises, give us a call! :D