Extra gratuity for Butler and Housekeeper?

morneau

My husband and I just disembarked in Rome this morning after a fabulous cruise on the Explorer. We ended up tipping our butler and housekeeping duo but I'm never sure what is appropriate. Would anyone care to share their thoughts....whether to tip at all, and if so what amount?

Really that is up to you, if you get very good service why not tip extra if it makes you feel good. We really don't ask for that much extra, but we do us the butler---when the housekeeper always comes in when we leave so when we return the suite is always ready for us--they will also get extra. But really the amount is up to you as only you knows how much better they made your cruise. Rick

And we usually don't. You'll find that this is a typically contentious subject. Some do, some don't, it really is up to you. We rarely, if ever, ask for anything other than standard service, so we feel no pressure to tip. We have in the past, but it's rare.

I agree, if you ask for nothing extra your tip is include with your fare---however we do ask for more, a few dinners in our suite, breakfast most mornings, once in a great while lunch on the deck. We have a cocktail party at least once during the cruise. We drink a lot of bottle water so that needs extra time. We don't drink so we ask for special non-alcohol that is 0.0%. And because we likes our place cleaned in the morning (we've never asked) but they know we don't always get off the ship during a port day, so we may watch a movie during the day. So to us a extra tip is needed. Now again that's us.

WHY?

Tips are included. This sets a precedent that gets back to the US excessive tip culture. In Europe now but especially the UK tipping is in decline, thankfully we may start to see the end of this, good riddance.

If you must use the crew fund, but the master/servant hand out culture is not to be encouraged!!

Thanks to you all for your honest feedback. I do appreciate the input because I'm never quite sure what/if anything is expected. I do want to mention that when we were at reception and inquired about whether our on board credit could be used for tipping, we were told all tips were included already. We had so many wonderful servers in all the restaurants as well...we've only been on four cruise lines (SIlversea, Seabourn, Crystal and now Regent) and must say that the service in all areas of the ship was the most consistently friendly and professional we've experienced to date. I'm glad that whatever we did tip was certainly not expected.

On our last cruise on Mariner, we slipped some extra cash to the people who made our voyage enjoyable. That included our two suite stewards, a couple of bartenders and waiters, and the head waiter (?) who nightly sat us in our desired area of the Compass Rose. We don't care what others do or their feelings on this topic.

WHY?

Tips are included. This sets a precedent that gets back to the US excessive tip culture. In Europe now but especially the UK tipping is in decline, thankfully we may start to see the end of this, good riddance.

If you must use the crew fund, but the master/servant hand out culture is not to be encouraged!!

This just isn't true, in Europe a lot of places add the tip to the bill. Just look at the bottom of your bill. And your

"MASTER/SERVANT" comment is really out of line. It shows really how you think and that's sad.

One time on the Mariner, my wife cut herself (not serious, but needed band aids). The housekeeper was there, and I asked her if she could go get us a band aid. When she returned with it, I offered a tip (as this was clearly something extra). She declined it!

The rule we follow is tips are already paid in the fare for the usual cruise ship services. But if we ask for something extra (like running a personal errand) we do offer a tip. Haven't had one accepted yet.

On our last Regent cruise, ending earlier this month, USA residents were actually in the minority. I was pleasantly surprised by this, as it was Miami to Miami. But, as said above, the "tip culture" in the USA is not shared by any other country I know of. That is why some cruise lines that can't see their way to include tips in their fares have a mandatory tip amount added to your bill. Guests from most other countries don't tip at all, and those who do tip in amounts far less than those from the USA.

Are you also considering leaving $15 for each of those martinis that are included in your fare? Or how about an extra $100 for lunch?

Seriously, if a crew member does something really out of the ordinary, and some have, then an extra tip is warranted. Otherwise believe Regent when they say gratuities are included.

That is why some cruise lines that can't see their way to include tips in their fares have a mandatory tip amount added to your bill. Guests from most other countries don't tip at all, and those who do tip in amounts far less than those from the USA.

What is the difference between Tips included in the fare or mandatory tip amount added. It's all the same in the end. Saying that if you don't tip that's up to you, just like it's up to us should we want to tip for extras. It's really knows ones business but your own. Here someone asked and that's OK, why not!

Rick

My husband and I just disembarked in Rome this morning after a fabulous cruise on the Explorer. We ended up tipping our butler and housekeeping duo but I'm never sure what is appropriate. Would anyone care to share their thoughts....whether to tip at all, and if so what amount?

We bring small presents for the cabin attendants (chocolate Easter Bunnies on the last cruise in April). We also give to the Crew Emergency Fund via the General Manager's office. Best for us as we use a lot of unseen staff especially laundry, pressing, shoe shines and also lots of bar staff.

Regent set up their all-inclusive model for a reason. They also decided upon a dress code and tipping policy. It is what it is. Unless and until they change it, we can argue until the cows come home and it will not change anything.

Regent says tips are included, yet people want to tip anyhow. Maybe they're just conditioned that way, or maybe they just like to walk around handing out money, who knows?

Regent also includes excursions. Maybe people want to pay for them, too. Regent has a dress code after 6:00 PM. And a smoking policy. And included alcohol. In my mind, tipping extra is the same as picking and choosing which policies to adhere to and which to ignore. It's really no different than wanting to wear 'dress jeans' to dinner or having a smoke on your balcony - it's the "I'll do what I want" mentality. Regent has a policy in place and people choose to ignore it. It shouldn't matter which policy you ignore - if you ignore one, why not ignore them all?

Of course, that's just 'my opinion' and should be treated as such.

It's not usually "people" who want to tip extra, it's "Americans." It's part of our culture and many of us just can't seem to accept that tips are really included. We want to be liked and to us liking means rewarding with cash. Hence the tip jars in every conceivable type of establishment.

Totally agree with UUnetbill , the tippers are just trying to buy influence.

I so dislike this hand out culture, it spoils it for everybody else and then tipping becomes expected, they do a great job without it and service standards are always very high on Regent.

Why perpetuate the master/servant concept behind tips, they only came in to the USA as a result of prohibition. On Regent the staff are paid well, its not the disgusting wages paid in US restaurants, which people use to justify tipping at the 20% level.

Totally agree with UUnetbill , the tippers are just trying to buy influence.

I so dislike this hand out culture, it spoils it for everybody else and then tipping becomes expected, they do a great job without it and service standards are always very high on Regent./quote]

How do you but influence when you tip after the fact or at the end of a cruise? So maybe you shouldn't take a bonus after doing a great job for your company, because you'll except it again next year. And how do you know how much more Regents pays the staff over other lines...is it 1%, 5%, 13% or what?

And how do you know how much more Regents pays the staff over other lines...is it 1%, 5%, 13% or what?

Just like calculating 'proper' tip amounts - we shouldn't have to ask - Regent says don't tip, that's good enough for me.

Just like calculating 'proper' tip amounts - we shouldn't have to ask - Regent says don't tip, that's good enough for me.

Well I do agree with you for most of your cruise expense-like dining, bar service etc. However if you have and use your Butler for dinners in the suite, a party or two and other stuff- and your cabin is always cleaned when you leave and little extras are done - I still feel you should tip them a extra at the end of the cruise.

Just wondering, do you tip when you leave your bags off before getting on the ship? Most people do, and Regents pays them to do the job.

And if you do why?

Rick

I'm obviously not Bill but do have an opinion. Firstly, we always tip the baggage handlers as we want to insure (as much a we can) that the bags arrive on the ship and/or are not put on last).

Secondly, only top suite passengers can have parties in their suite (although you can invite guests to your suite in any category - only upper suites get the "full Regent treatment" for parties. What passengers do or do not do in these cases is their business (and if I posted what we do, it would then sadly become everyone on Cruise Critic's business.).

Although I am repeating myself, I strongly recommend that everyone read the tipping guidelines on the Regent website and interpret it as you wish. I will say that I am a big fan of the Crew Fund!