Random Notes, 5/24-6/7/17, Mariner, Rumorlite but LIVE!

Friends, you are about to witness the hand-off of a blogging baton. Roberto, you've done your usual terrific job of chronicling in words and pics your Mariner SF-Vancouver cruise. You gave my Chuckle-Meter a workout as only you can do. I can see you now in my mind's eye charging toward me with the baton in your right mitt and my piña colada (inside joke) in your left--don't spill it!--and I just hope I can keep up the blogging pace.

I haven't done a live blog by myself for more than a year, having joint-blogged with Zqueeze, Wes, Travelcat and Rachel and others on my last three cruises, so I may be huffing and puffing a bit in the early going. Also, I may be a little distracted, as Ginny and I are delighted to have our daughter Shauna with us. Shauna, as some of you know, has Down syndrome. Our little Ambassador of Joy has warmed the hearts of passengers, crew and staff alike on her past four Regent cruises with us, and we expect that trend to continue this cruise. In fact, three of Shauna's Regent BFFs are onboard, namely Captain Serena, CD Lorraine and Chief Security Officer Shiju, so hugs aplenty are in the forecast.

So, unsure of how often I'll be posting, I've given myself cover by being the latest blogger to work in the word "lite" in the title. But I do hope for a goodly number of Random Notes, as DW likes me out of her hair now and then and Little Boss likes, and needs, her naps. It will be interesting to see what type of slant the Notes take. I wouldn't be surprised if Shauna were to play an ongoing role. As a fellow passenger informed her on our 2013 Montreal-Miami cruise, "Shauna, you do know that you are the most popular person on this ship, don't you?" This before "Dr. Ted" invited her out on the Pool Deck to watch him fly his kite.

This is a milestone cruise for Ginny and me, as we turn Platinum the moment we embark. It only took us 15 cruises and seven years and two months! Thank goodness for those 14 nights we were awarded in that 2011 two-for-one rewards-night Black Friday promotion, or we'd still be knocking on Platinum's door.

This will be our seventh cruise aboard the Mariner, the most of any Regent ship. After two cruises on the Explorer last year and the Voyager earlier this year, I'm looking forward to comparing the look/feel of the one remaining Regent ship still due a makeover with its new or refurbished sisters.

Before closing for now, I want to note that while our cruise has its own name, "Northern Frontiers," it is essentially a back-to-back, encompassing two one-week cruises, Vancouver-Seward ("Alaskan Summer") and Seward-Vancouver ("Picturesque Peaks"). (Regent treats it as a back-to-back by offering us two sets of specialty restaurant reservations.) One thing I like about the itinerary is that none of the ports are repeated. Another is that we'll be getting a second crack at Hubbard Glacier. Fog and rain doomed our first (very brief) visit in 2013. Hoping for blazing sunlight this time, but I'd settle for mostly cloudy.

Glad to have you along for the hand-off and beyond! We'll be taking off for Albuquerque by mid-afternoon for a pre-flight stay at an airport-area hotel. We're scheduled to fly out at 6:15 a.m. Tuesday, and are looking forward to our pre-cruise stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver.

Rich

P.S. I was also hoping, and still am, that we'll be getting our first look at Tracy Arm on this cruise. To that end we booked the tour "Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer," premium priced at $141 per. But Jackie's comment about Tracy Arm on Z's thread reminds me that conditions are problematic for an exploration of that stunning fjord this early in the season. I have noted in the excursion description's "small print" the following: "In the event that there is heavy ice flow, the tour boat may visit Endicott Arm as an alternative." I'm wondering how Endicott stacks up to Tracy and, frankly, if it's worth the extra bucks. Feedback, anyone?

map%20of%20itinerary_zpslogc0fsu.jpg

Excited to "see" you again and are looking forward to following along with your cruise. I'm sure that Shauna is excited about her upcoming adventure.

Congratulations on becoming Platinum. As I've mentioned, we will become Titanium in November (helped out by three double night cruises). It took us 13 years and 9 months to achieve this level (but whose counting ----- well, I guess I am).

I do hope that you are able to visit Tracy Arm. It is gorgeous - my comment on "Z"'s thread wasn't trying trying to diminish the beauty but rather was a comparison. The sounds of the calving at Hubbard Glacier blew us away - it sounded like thunder. However, again, things are pretty darn cold right now so your experience may be different.

Enjoy Vancouver ....... soon you'll be back onboard the Mariner:D

This is a milestone cruise for Ginny and me, as we turn Platinum the moment we embark. It only took us 15 cruises and seven years and two months! Thank goodness for those 14 nights we were awarded in that 2011 two-for-one rewards-night Black Friday promotion, or we'd still be knocking on Platinum's door.

Congratulations on becoming Platinum. As I've mentioned, we will become Titanium in November (helped out by three double night cruises). It took us 13 years and 9 months to achieve this level (but whose counting ----- well, I guess I am).

Good Lord, how do you guys do it? We've been sailing Regent since 2009 and we're just hitting Gold this summer. I feel like such a slacker!!!

Good Lord, how do you guys do it? We've been sailing Regent since 2009 and we're just hitting Gold this summer. I feel like such a slacker!!!

You never know where you'll be in a few years. You're still working -- give yourself a break:D. BTW, if "Z" and "Mr. Rumor" are ever on the same sailing again (along with "mudhen", "TNR" and a few other CC'ers) - go for it! It was the most fun cruise (in terms of other passengers) that we have ever been on! We ever managed to get the Captain's Table (under the huge blue chandelier) for Thanksgiving!

Friends, you are about to witness the hand-off of a blogging baton. Roberto, you've done your usual terrific job of chronicling in words and pics your Mariner SF-Vancouver cruise. You gave my Chuckle-Meter a workout as only you can do. I can see you now in my mind's eye charging toward me with the baton in your right mitt and my piña colada (inside joke) in your left--don't spill it!--and I just hope I can keep up the blogging pace.

I haven't done a live blog by myself for more than a year, having joint-blogged with Zqueeze, Wes, Travelcat and Rachel and others on my last three cruises, so I may be huffing and puffing a bit in the early going. Also, I may be a little distracted, as Ginny and I are delighted to have our daughter Shauna with us. Shauna, as some of you know, has Down syndrome. Our little Ambassador of Joy has warmed the hearts of passengers, crew and staff alike on her past four Regent cruises with us, and we expect that trend to continue this cruise. In fact, three of Shauna's Regent BFFs are onboard, namely Captain Serena, CD Lorraine and Chief Security Officer Shiju, so hugs aplenty are in the forecast.

So, unsure of how often I'll be posting, I've given myself cover by being the latest blogger to work in the word "lite" in the title. But I do hope for a goodly number of Random Notes, as DW likes me out of her hair now and then and Little Boss likes, and needs, her naps. It will be interesting to see what type of slant the Notes take. I wouldn't be surprised if Shauna were to play an ongoing role. As a fellow passenger informed her on our 2013 Montreal-Miami cruise, "Shauna, you do know that you are the most popular person on this ship, don't you?" This before "Dr. Ted" invited her out on the Pool Deck to watch him fly his kite.

This will be our seventh cruise aboard the Mariner, the most of any Regent ship. After two cruises on the Explorer last year and the Voyager earlier this year, I'm looking forward to comparing the look/feel of the one remaining Regent ship still due a makeover with its new or refurbished sisters.

Before closing for now, I want to note that while our cruise has its own name, "Northern Frontiers," it is essentially a back-to-back, encompassing two one-week cruises, Vancouver-Seward ("Alaskan Summer") and Seward-Vancouver ("Picturesque Peaks"). (Regent treats it as a back-to-back by offering us two sets of specialty restaurant reservations.) One thing I like about the itinerary is that none of the ports are repeated. Another is that we'll be getting a second crack at Hubbard Glacier. Fog and rain doomed our first (very brief) visit in 2013. Hoping for blazing sunlight this time, but I'd settle for mostly cloudy.

Glad to have you along for the hand-off and beyond! We'll be taking off for Albuquerque by mid-afternoon for a pre-flight stay at an airport-area hotel. We're scheduled to fly out at 6:15 a.m. Tuesday, and are looking forward to our pre-cruise stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver.

Rich

P.S. I was also hoping, and still am, that we'll be getting our first look at Tracy Arm on this cruise. To that end we booked the tour "Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer," premium priced at $141 per. But Jackie's comment about Tracy Arm on Z's thread reminds me that conditions are problematic for an exploration of that stunning fjord this early in the season. I have noted in the excursion description's "small print" the following: "In the event that there is heavy ice flow, the tour boat may visit Endicott Arm as an alternative." I'm wondering how Endicott stacks up to Tracy and, frankly, if it's worth the extra bucks. Feedback, anyone?

map%20of%20itinerary_zpslogc0fsu.jpg

We will be on the same cruise my wife is Lisa and I am Mel hope to run into you and your family

Ok folks, you are all in for a treat because I think Rich is one of the best writers in cruise critic and he and his family are such wonderful people. I proudly pass the baton to you, Rich. But enough about him (lol). I'm not off the ship yet.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Zqueeze1

Hi Rich-

We have made it to Tracey Arm 3 times but two of those times were in June. We also went to Endicott once and although not as close up nor dramatic as Tracey Arm, it was still wonderful. The Navigator seems to be able to make it in ok and last year the excursion was cancelled. My favorite excursion was the wildlife and glaciers tour in Seward run as the Kenai Fjords tour...we saw the most wildlife with orcas surrounding our tour boat.

Hope your cruise is wonderful. Tina

Hi Shauna, Ginny & Rich; Ida and I send our warmest wishes for Fair Winds and Following Seas for your fab Mariner Alaska itineraries. Look very forward to vicariously cruising with y'all--can't wait to see snaps of cruise joy featuring Shauna, Ginny and you. Rich, will you still follow your early a.m (i.e., 5:15 a.m) stationary bike/elliptical routine?

Already, anxiously looking forward to blogging together again on the Mariner's Way of the Emperors in March 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wes, what in the heck is "Mariner's Way of the Emperors in March 2019"? I intensely dislike Regent naming their cruises as it does not give anyone a clue as to the itinerary. Guess that I'm too lazy to look it up;p

Jackie, Mariner Mar 28-mid April, 2019 (Shanghai to Tokyo) both Rich & Ginny, Ida and I booked this independently on board the Voyager in February (Singapore to Hong Kong) and then realized at lunch or breakfast we were all on the another Regent voyage again. For us, the pre cruise Great Wall tour was the magnet that encouraged us to book, along with visiting ports in China and Japan. Tho, (both Ida and I) have spent weeks in (late 1999 early 2001) Tokyo while serving in the U.S. Army doing special Army Air Defense work for Japan's Defense Department--we still look forward to returning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roberto: Appreciate the nice words, brother. Hope you and Pam went ahead and booked that New England cruise. Making an onboard booking helps me cope with the End of the Cruise Blues.

Thanks, Jackie, 1982CruzStart, Susan and Mark, Bill, Ann and Shel, Cindie and Jim, Linda and John, Peggy, Lisa and Mel, Tina and Wes--it's great to have your company! I mean that literally for our fellow cruisers Cindie and Jim (thanks for those beautiful words about Shauna) and Lisa and Mel. Ginny, Shauna and look forward to meeting you. (Wes, I packed my gym duds and hope to burn at least several thousand calories in very early a.m. workouts. You and Ida continue to inspire me.)

We're happily situated in our hotel room, a five minute drive from the Sunport. Shauna was the first one to hit the hay (she was sawing wood five minutes after I took the snap below) and we'll be turning in early, too. We have no choice, as we have had to set our alarms (note plural) for 3:15 a.m.!

By the way, the little feller sharing Shauna's pillow is Stowie. Ginny, who never met a craft she didn't like, created this little guy as a teenager, and he's been our other traveling companion for years. Quiet and unassuming as he is, he has a way of working himself into my photos, so I doubt this will be the last we see of him.

Good night. . .

Rich

34e4f22cb4d95e11ef7314dcb4f30a13.jpg

Great pic of Shauna and Stowie. Enjoy your cruise as much as we did ours. Still working on booking another cruise and my instead book the Carib onboard the Mariner. Safe travels.

Z and TB

Rich, so glad to see another Mr Rumor blog. Glad I don't have to go into blog withdrawal when zqueeze and TB disembark.

As far as Tracy Arm vs Endicott Arm, Endicott is ok, but nothing in comparison to Tracy Arm. Last year, we were unable to get into Tracy Arm, so Endicott was substituted. If I had known far enough in advance, I would have cancelled that excursion, because it just wasn't worth paying extra.

You can look back at my blog and see my notes on the other stops as this is the same itinerary we took. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357227&highlight=wrangell

Congrats on platinum. George and I won't be there till next year--splitting between Regent and Silversea does that too you, but Regent doesn't have any expedition ships.

Have a wonderful time. Tell Ginny hi for me and give Shauna a hug.

Hello from Vancouver!

You know you've had an out of the ordinary airport experience on your hotel transfer when you and your fellow cruisers break into spontaneous applause as your bus finally leaves the airport for your hotel.

I now can say we've had our best and worst Regent transfers in Canada. The best, by far, was our Montreal transfer in 2013 (Montreal-Miami) when one of the agents summoned a stretch limo for just the three of us--Shauna was beyond enchanted. The worst was today in Vancouver.

For some reason, instead of vans, the agent had scheduled a full size bus (56 seats) for the early afternoon arrivals. The obvious problem with that is that if your flight is first through baggage claim, you have to wait for the next flight with Regent passengers. Which is what we did, for upwards of an hour, as we compared middle-of-the-night wake-up and flight stories. At first we were told that we needed to wait for more passengers from a Phoenix flight. Then I heard Los Angeles.

But there is a silver lining to all of this--in fact, a blessing. The idle time gave Ginny an opportunity to launch what I thought would be a Mission Impossible: an attempted retrieval of her prescription sunglasses from the passport control kiosks. She was convinced she had left them there when we were having our photos taken.

Her mini-odyssey took her first to an unhelpful staffer in Information, who informed Ginny she could "file a report"--not acceptable to DW--then, to Customs, then back to the Information "dunderbutt" (I hadn't heard Ginny use that term in years!) who finally agreed to call "someone" at the kiosks.

Well, "someone" located the glasses in the spot that Ginny said to look (how she remembered what kiosk in what row amazes me) and called Ms. Information. A few minutes later Ginny was reunited with her specs.

We thought that was the sum of our excitement for today when we finally checked in at the Four Seasons (357 Regent passengers will be staying here tonight, by the way). Wrong. First, our card key wouldn't open Room 712. I returned the keys to a an apologetic staffer in Reception who disappeared beyond a door and emerged with another pair. This key worked, and I was immediately greeted by the sight of a mostly consumed bottle of Johnny Walker Red on the hutch directly in front of me, and a pair of shoes on the floor. Then I saw an article of woman's clothing on a chair. And two suitcases. And clothes in the closet. For the first time in our lives we had been given keys to an occupied room!

The mystery was quickly solved. The staffer who had given us our original set of keys had written "712" on the card envelope instead of "1712," the correct room number. So we're now finally settled in 1712, minus the company of Johnny Walker (who I actually could use at the moment). And our three bags just arrived.

I have just one more bit of business to do and that is to inform the Regent agent of our room number. While I am at the hospitality desk I have decided to return our three "12:45 Departure" bus tickets. The agent can transport our three big bags to the ship tomorrow, but as for DW, Little Boss and me, we're WALKING the seven minutes or so to the Canada Place terminal!

Rich

Wow - what a story From our experience last year (we visited friends that had just disembarked from the Mariner and also friends that just boarded the Mariner), Vancouver is pretty crazy right now (or should I say crazier than usual). Glad that Ginny found her glasses!

Good to hear that you will walk to the ship. Whenever possible, we avoid bus transportation to the ship It isn't only about getting there a long time after people begin to embark but, when a busload of passengers arrive, it creates an instant long line to get onto the ship.

Fingers crossed that the Mariner arrives on time. It is still windy here (50 miles from the port so it is likely still windy there). I'm sure that "Z" and others do not want to reschedule their flights and that you three would like to board the ship on time.

Looking forward to further reports.