Just off Freedom caught in storm October 9th

PH8

And I don't mean anything that has to do with music!!

Last night after the Freedom left Pt Canaveral,it ran smack into a major storm......

Got this message from a friend who is onboard right now...

" tonight was definitely interesting. At dinner the ship started listing and it got so bad that the galley was trashed and we had to stop dishes from sliding off the table. They cancelled second seating (Captain ordered everyone to their staterooms) At about 10:30 they offered a buffet setup with paper plates and were handing out soda free. The tv reported 80+ mph wind. Stores on the promenade had a lot of debris from things crashing to the floor. "

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know the port was closed after the FR left..........Disney and Carnival stayed behind. Carnival is still there(till 7am)....Disney left sometime after midnight..

My Aunt is/was on the Majesty this weekend and they also ran into this same storm. She said they missed Coco Cay, and there was vomit bags scattered throughout the ship for use if necessary. In 40 some odd cruises, she has never seen the ship rock and roll so much.

Thank you for the update, certainly does not sound like the beginnings of a pleasure cruise:eek:. I see on the Port Canaveral web cam that Carnival still there, but the Monarch is docked.

I just happened to be watching a show on the weather channel and they showed the local radar for there and at least it looks like it should be short lived.

Tropical low over Florida this weekend...we live on the coast of GA...we are getting pounded with wind and rain right now.....

We Cruise several times a year...but we never cruise in Sept or Oct...these storms are common this time of year.

i just got off the freedom and we sailed through coming to the port no one on the ship slept with 30+ ft waves. one of the workers told me they lost a lot of lounge chairs into the sea from the pool deck i couldnt wait to get off the ship hope it gets better for you

Oh my! On our first cruise we had 20+ swells and had to keep our dishes from sliding off the table at dinner and I thought that was bad. This one sounds a lot worse to me. Dinner being cancelled -- WOW! Hopefully the weather will calm down and the passengers and staff will have calm seas and lots of sunshine.

I've been on eight (or nine) cruises and never had any bad weather. In fact I often find myself wishing I could feel a little more of the motion of the ocean. So my question to anyone is: If, like me, you've longed to feel a little more movement, and now find yourself in this more severe weather, are you frightened or excited? Is it fun or scary?

I've been on eight (or nine) cruises and never had any bad weather. In fact I often find myself wishing I could feel a little more of the motion of the ocean. So my question to anyone is: If, like me, you've longed to feel a little more movement, and now find yourself in this more severe weather, are you frightened or excited? Is it fun or scary?

I would hate it.my husband would love it.....

Right now,they are enjoying smooth seas.........

I really hope this moves out as we cruise next Monday on Majesty. I do hope all aboard are okay and can now enjoy the rest of their cruise.

Im pretty sure you'll be fine...........it was a freak storm that turned out worse than they thought............and it usually does not rain this much,this long here in FL..

I find that I do enjoy "some" movement of the ship and watching the action of the waves as the ship moves through the water. I love it when you find this on a bright day without rainy or cloudy skies. The heaviest seas that I have experienced were 40ft. seas, while I wasn't frightened or sick, it was just plain uncomfortable. Along with very little activity on the ship, it was hard to sleep as you tossed in the bed and you had to brace yourself while in the bed. All the drawers in the desk would roll out and then slam back, pretty well eliminating any real rest. Walking or using the stairs (elevators were shut down) was a real adventure. The storm lasted about 18 hours, real glad for calmer water.

Fortunately there were few of those cruises and here's to smooth sailing!

I was just off the Freedom yesterday as well and that last night was possibly the rockiest night I've spent on a ship since my very first cruise on the now-defunct Premiere line. Even before it got really rough, the winds were fierce with 50-90 mph apparent winds across the deck. As we were sitting in the Cloud 9 lounge (overflow Diamond Club), a burst of wind came up and smacked a deck chair against the window ... from 2 decks down.

oh dear! A co-worker is on that cruise. It is her first cruise and I know she was worried about sea sickness. I hope it goes smoother for them the rest of the trip!

Oh that isn't a good sign, many will never go back if that happens first cruise but hopefully the rest will be wonderful and it happened the first eve so plenty of time to recover.

That low pressure system came through the Keys On Fri night and Saturday. We had 40 mph winds and hard rain. No, that would not be good for cruising.....for people who don't like heavy weather. Me? I would be up on deck surfing! ;)

Im pretty sure you'll be fine...........it was a freak storm that turned out worse than they thought............and it usually does not rain this much,this long here in FL..

Worse than the NHC thought maybe but for the record there are some Meteorologist taking them to task on this storm. A lot of Tropical Storm Characteristics were met. The Buoy 20 miles East of PC provided lots of good data on this and was close to where what would have been a center passed. Pressures dropped like a rock, winds increased and the device measuring sea height failed at 22 feet and rising. It would be interesting to see what the highest real wind gust were on the Freedom, not apparent wind which includes ship motion. The Buoy did record winds to 58 knots which is about 66 mph. It was noticed by someone on CC that the Freedom was on Marine tracker last night and was heading in a strange direction. I checked it and she was in fact heading North/Northeast into the swell and had turned sharply in the swell. They probably did this after the list we are hearing about. In addition she had slowed to 6.6 knots so just enough speed to keep moving, which you need to do. Well it would have been interesting and I am sure the Disney and Carnival Capts are glad they said in port until it moved north.

Archived