Wine Tasting in Paris

seacrystal

We will soon be staying in the 6th Arron. I am aware that there are wine bars in Paris but is there a vineyard close enough for wine tasting not too far from the Paris area? Also, I know it is a matter of taste, but is there a special wine in the area that is not to be missed?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I guess a true wine lover (Oenophile) would tell you that the best wine is the one you like the most :). And in France you have a huge variety in all price ranges. If you want to do some serious wine tasting an vineyards you really need to get out of Paris. Several major wine districts are within a couple of hours (or less) by train. For example, you could take the train over to Reims and visit some Champagne houses. Or, you could take the train to the Burgundy region in less then 1 1/2 hours (am thinking of Dijon).

And Paris has many excellent wine bars (with Willi's being one of the famous ones). While we like to stop in Willi's to buy one of their new posters, they do pour some excellent wines by the glass. If you stop in a wine bar do not hesitate to ask advice. The French are very proud of their wine and they will always recommend something that is good. If in a restaurant it is OK to ask the sommelier or even your waiter for recommendations. But be sure to give them a hint of what you want (such as a very dry red) and it can also be helpful to give them a price range. When we travel around France we are always asking for advice on good local/regional wines and have seldom been disappointed by suggested wines.

Hank

Thank you Hank for taking the time to answer my question. I have followed your France threads with great interest in the last couple of years. Actually we picked the 6th Arron. because you spoke so highly of the St. Germain-des-Pres area. We arrive July 25 and can't wait!

Since I have become a true Oenophile, my friends and I are really looking forward to our stay in Paris and tasting the wonderful wines of France.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Thank you Hank for taking the time to answer my question. I have followed your France threads with great interest in the last couple of years. Actually we picked the 6th Arron. because you spoke so highly of the St. Germain-des-Pres area. We arrive July 25 and can't wait!

Since I have become a true Oenophile, my friends and I are really looking forward to our stay in Paris and tasting the wonderful wines of France.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Its always nice to hear that anyone listens to me (DW certainly does not :). You are very fortunate to be going to France at a time when the US dollar is so strong. On our last lengthy visit (about 1 year ago) a Euro cost us about $1.42! So now, everything is on sale for Americans. We spent a lot of time exploring the area between the Seine and Blvd St Germaine where we would always manage to stumble on a decent place to dine. But we will not take any credit for recommending the St Germain area since it is very well known and popular with lots of tourists and Parisians. We also recommend spending time exploring the Marais area which is also a great place to walk on Sundays (many shops are open in that area on Sunday).

But I will tell you a secret (shhhhh). DW and I will often eat in small local restaurants that have attractive "menus" posted outside. If we see a lot of locals going into one of these places that is a good sign. And we often just order Carafes of the house wine. Sometimes they are decent wines and other times they are pretty lame. But its fun and inexpensive.

Hank

I will add that we have visited Reims and Epernay (from Paris) to tour several of the champagne houses. It is a huge treat, like being a kid in a candy store, to be taken down into the dark, dusty Greco-Roman chalk cellars and see gallery upon gallery filled with racks of champagne bottles, aging. And then of course get to have a fabulous tasting after the tour.

As Hank said, it's not far by train from Paris to Reims. (We did it as an overnight because we added Epernay.)

There is also a very beautiful and famous cathedral in Reims, where the kings of France were crowned.

There's actually a tiny vineyard in Paris, close to the Sacré-Coeur. I don't think you can do tasting there, the gate is always locked. But if you're planning to be in the Montmartre area it's worth taking a look just to see the vines. Try Googling Clos Montmartre.

Thank you Turtles06 and Ravenscroft. It's nice to hear different suggestions. There are so many options!

We are really happy that the U.S. dollar is so strong this year. We originally planned to visit in 2012 but things always happen for a reason.;)

Actually there is a lovely little left bank wine bar we visited s few months ago Ambassade de Bourgogne on Rue de l'Odeon. We tasted some lovely burgundies and then bought a terrific Nuit St. George to take with us the next day on the TGV to Barcelona.