Box Lunches

pdx13

We have a couple of day long tours on our upcoming cruise, and as we generally just snack for lunch I was wondering whether Seabourn will provide box lunches for passengers on request. We do not particularly want to take the time to stop at a restaurant while touring St. Petersburg, for instance.

We have a couple of day long tours on our upcoming cruise, and as we generally just snack for lunch I was wondering whether Seabourn will provide box lunches for passengers on request. We do not particularly want to take the time to stop at a restaurant while touring St. Petersburg, for instance.

Yes. Call the evening before and they can bring it to you at breakfast time or whenever you say.

Don't forget to take plenty of water as you leave the ship. Some of the attractions charge a horrendous fee for it.

We have lots of Seabourn tours that seem to leave at 11.30 ish for 4 or 5 hours and do not seem to include lunch. Does anyone know if a packed lunch is supplied or we have to order them .

Thanks

I'm interested in this, as we usually take lunch in the port, but we have a couple of ports coming up in a cruise next year where I'd prefer to stay ashore the whole day but am wary of eating locally. ;)

Are these boxes easily portable? What sort of size are we talking about? Do we call room service to order ?

Isolate

We have enjoyed many a lunch on shore...without any problems. (It was fun to dine on chicken Kiev in Russia,) Your guide or the ship's concierge desk will give good references. Dining is another way to explore/visit a city, a people.

Have a great cruise. Paula

Isklaar

For the two of us they give us two boxes which we pack in to one. Quite easy and light to carry.

Order from the purser's desk ( Guest relations, SB Sq ).

Some years back we were in Vietnam and did a SB tour with lunch included. However these lunches can be far too long. Other passengers did the same thing as reports on the restaurant were not too good. So we do the tour but have our own lunch where its pleasant and quiet. The last one we had wine and soft drinks

which was taken in the coach.

Tony

Isklaar

For the two of us they give us two boxes which we pack in to one. Quite easy and light to carry.

Order from the purser's desk ( Guest relations, SB Sq ).

Some years back we were in Vietnam and did a SB tour with lunch included. However these lunches can be far too long. Other passengers did the same thing as reports on the restaurant were not too good. So we do the tour but have our own lunch where its pleasant and quiet. The last one we had wine and soft drinks

which was taken in the coach.

Tony

Great, was concerned it may be some massive, heavy picnic basket complete with Thermos flask!

Thanks very much Tony.

Don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but in many ports the local authorities prohibit bringing food off the ship into the country. Many parts even have local officers stationed a the gangway to check for fruits and vegetables. This will be in the daily program. The only time we had food from the ship was on an organized ship tour. Maybe you will have a different experience. As I said, it will depend upon the country and port.

Have never found that to be the case anywhere in Europe, Russia, U.S., Canada, India, China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam. Maybe travelingduo should nominate the countries where this is the case!

We have only used boxed lunches once and that was in Berlin where we had a very long day of touring ( not to mention the ling drive to and from Warnemunde) and much as it killed us decided we would do boxed lunches rather than stop for lunch. I do have to say while I appreciated having this option our sandwiches were mushy and dreadful.Luckily we found a stand selling brats!

I can't "nominate" any particular port, but I can report that we were not allowed to take food off the ship in ANY port during a recent cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Quebec. Same for Australia and New Zealand, nor several ports in the Mediterranean just last month.

Don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but in many ports the local authorities prohibit bringing food off the ship into the country. Many parts even have local officers stationed a the gangway to check for fruits and vegetables. This will be in the daily program. The only time we had food from the ship was on an organized ship tour. Maybe you will have a different experience. As I said, it will depend upon the country and port.

The ship's galley is aware of such prohibitions and will not provide a box lunch at ports where food cannot be taken off the ship.

Have never found that to be the case anywhere in Europe, Russia, U.S., Canada, India, China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam. Maybe travelingduo should nominate the countries where this is the case!

Assuming they were to catch you .. then Canada and the U.S. are also a NO.

My little niece managed to run afoul of the US authorities by bringing an apple off a British Airways flight in Orlando. The reaction by the official was somewhat crazy; he treated a poor little 7 year old as if she was an axe murderer or something. She is 21 now and says she will never visit the U.S. again.

One I know for sure is the Falklands, because I asked them via e-mail. Frankly I probably could have got away with it, there were no food police that I could see guarding the tender disembarkation dock.

My little niece managed to run afoul of the US authorities by bringing an apple off a British Airways flight in Orlando. The reaction by the official was somewhat crazy; he treated a poor little 7 year old as if she was an axe murderer or something. She is 21 now and says she will never visit the U.S. again.

QUOTE]

Years ago my wife took an apple off a plane arriving from - forget the exact place but an international airport and the U.S. customs people found it - she had planned to eat it between flights. As a result they took her aside and went thru all her luggage to insure she was not smuggling any other produce in. I do appreciate the reason for it, but I agree if caught they can make you feel like you've committed some horrendous crime.

Last year in the Falklands we were told we could take food ashore. Several passengers including ourselves did this and we had full wonderful day. We did not want to go back to the ship for lunch ( via tender) and having been there before many of the restaurants were heaving with passengers.

Kind regards

Tony

Australia and NZ come to mind immediately. They even made a whole series of shows based off arresting and fining people who bring fruit/veg/meat into NZ.

Edited by Emperor Norton

Australia and NZ come to mind immediately. They even made a whole series of shows based off arresting and fining people who bring fruit/veg/meat into NZ.

Along with the good ol' US of A - see posts above in this thread - despite Secoma4's assertion. Take a look at US Customs website regarding foodstuffs that cannot be imported.

Edited by stamfordian

Along with the good ol' US of A - see posts above in this thread - despite Secoma4's assertion. Take a look at US Customs website regarding foodstuffs that cannot be imported.

I saw that someone had already mentioned the USA so I didn't feel the need to repeat it. Im well aware that we somewhat care about our biodiversity as well as keeping those evil kinder eggs out of the hands of our citizens:rolleyes: