Corsica Shore Excursion

maggie3

Our ship will dock in Ajaccio, Corsica for one day. We are torn between exploring the town of Ajaccio on our own for the day, or taking a tour into the Corsican countryside. Is the countryside not to be missed? Which parts of Corsica would be most beautiful or enjoyable for the day?

I too will be going there just for the day late next May and have the same question. In doing research, it looks like getting to some of the other towns would be quite a hike and not very realistic for a day trip. There seems to be a really nice beach within a short walk of the downtown, so at this point I am considering making this a beach day and exploring the town vs doing an excursion, but will see if others make any recommendations here. Keep me posted on what you decide.

Edited by joseph123

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to that port a few times and usually just spent time in town, on the town beach, and having a nice lunch. But on one trip, for a change of pace, we booked a cruise line excursion (very rare for us to ever book any excursion) to the "Calanches." It turned out to be interesting because the route was quite picturesque and it was nice to see some of the island outside of Ajaccio. If we ever get back to Ajaccio I imagine we would probably do our usual beach day.

Hank

We have been to that port a few times and usually just spent time in town, on the town beach, and having a nice lunch. But on one trip, for a change of pace, we booked a cruise line excursion (very rare for us to ever book any excursion) to the "Calanches." It turned out to be interesting because the route was quite picturesque and it was nice to see some of the island outside of Ajaccio. If we ever get back to Ajaccio I imagine we would probably do our usual beach day.

Hank

It is good to read these responses. Unfortunately, our ship does not offer an excursion to the Calanches. They offer trips to high parts of the island to smell the maquis(?) and eucalyptus or taste the wine. Has anyone here seen local operators at the port offering day trips to the Calanches? We may decide to follow advice here and enjoy the little town, and possibly the beach.

We went on a ship's tour to the Calanches in June. We had a load of non-refundable obc to use up and OH fancied seeing something of the Corsica as he'd never been there before. (I've been on a land vacation). It was a very pleasant trip, along the coast for a lot of the way. But I don't think you would be likely to find operators at the port offering the tour, as it is quite a long way.