Swollen legs/ankles/feet - THIS WORKED!

Thanks Ladies. I'm glad all this info is helpful.

There's one more piece of information that I could offer that may help in the battle against water retention.

Do you KNOW how alcohol contributes to dehydration? Which, in turn, contributes to water retention?

There is a hormone in your body (ADH) that tells the kidneys to reabsorb water, that is, don't release water into urine. When the body is under stress (cortisol release) or is dehydrated (it senses the amount of water in your blood...remember, your capillaries can be all messed up and releasing more water than they normally do when you travel to a new environment), this hormone will be released and tell the kidneys to CONSERVE water.

This hormone says...hang on to water!

Water is SO critical...your body is PROGRAMMED to CONSERVE.

All the mechanisms in the body are more related to conservation...unless you do exactly what the body needs for it to understand that it has a good water supply...so that it can let go of conservation mode.

Water is that important.

SO.

You need to drink water.

You need to eat watery food...like vegetables and fruit.

You need to keep cooler. Higher temperatures increase the need for water in the body.

And you need to do this overtime in a scheduled way, because you cannot chug your daily water needs within a few short hours.

Think drip irrigation as opposed to a Texas gully washer.

Doing this will keep the ADH from being released and your kidneys will let water pass out of the body and will not send it back into the blood stream. It will let go of water.

Alcohol inhibits the kidneys' ability to understand the ADH signal.

So, even if you are already dehydrated...and the body is releasing ADH, saying, please, please, we need water!...your kidneys will still let go of water because it doesn't get the ADH message in the presence of alcohol.

So.

You may be chugging water like mad...but if you are also drinking alcohol...you are NOT getting hydrated.

Even if you just indulge a LITTLE bit.

And wow, if that indulgence happens over time...

Let's say you have a mimosa with breakfast. Or a Bloody Mary. Or a Screwdriver. Or hey, straight up champagne. It's a holiday after all.

You have started the override of the ADH signal.

If you have a glass of wine or a crisp beer or cider with lunch. Because HEY, you are on vacation...

You have continued the override of the ADH signal.

An afternoon tropical tasty...

The kidneys continue to let water go...

Loyalty status pre-dinner cocktails...

Wine or other with dinner...

Post dinner partying...

Nightcaps...

Even if you DON'T drink all day long like I have illustrated...

Note that WHENEVER you drink...you have essentially cut off your body's water supply. The kidneys can't understand the command to conserve water any longer and they will be releasing water.

This can ebb and flow...

I don't know how long it takes for alcohol to be processed in your system so that the ADH signal can be understood again. Or how much water WITH alcohol might help dilute the situation. My guess is that it varies for everyone based on gender, weight, general health, etc.

My point in bringing this to your attention is for you to make good decisions regarding your own balance of alcohol and water intake during your cruise.

You already know that the increased sodium exposure requires more water to help the body maintain the balance it wants so badly. If you don't give it water...it will just hang on to it.

Alcohol will inhibit your body's ability to hang on to the water...even if it is technically dehydrated because of increased sodium.

If you are doing what you can to decrease water retention through physical manipulation of your body (dry brushing, lymph massage, gravity) then you need to support the replenishment of water as needed by balancing your own alcohol/water intake. Because alcohol is the ONE thing that you consume that will completely counter your attempts to supply your body with necessary water.

Just some science to help motivate you to remember to drink your water all day...and especially if you are indulging in some alcohol on your vacation. And perhaps to put off that first "we're on vacation YAY! cocktail", especially following your travel efforts to GET to vacation, so that you can take just a bit of time to try to replenish your body at the start of your vacation.

Edited by Anita Latte

Hi Yvonne,

I was wondering if I could just 'rub' or massage the gel or oil into my legs/ankles a couple of times a day (even day before we leave)? Do you think that would work without a brush. How about a dry shower soft buff puff? Thanks ever so much.

P

Hi Yvonne,

I was wondering if I could just 'rub' or massage the gel or oil into my legs/ankles a couple of times a day (even day before we leave)? Do you think that would work without a brush. How about a dry shower soft buff puff? Thanks ever so much.

P

I usually start using my oil and brush a few months before the cruise. I think any type of brush would work even a soft puff. Especially after reading the posts by Anita.

Yvonne

• 2 weeks later...
I swear by this brush. It looks coarser than it actually is. I don't use any gel or oil but I imagine for anyone who has sensitive skin or some kind of medical condition, either the gel or the oil would help.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/purest-palm-body-brush/1010474574?Keyword=body+brush

SANJOSEGAL, If this is the one you bought, I don't know when you bought it but it is now $9.99, to me worth every penny and I would even pay $19.99.:)

This is almost exactly like the brush I use, only I get mine on Amazon for around $9.

I found since I started using this brush at home, too, that when I cruise the swelling is diminished now. On my last several cruises I had very little, had the vasculitis heat rash for a few days, but everything was far, far better than before.

I have sensitive, easy bruising skin, too, and my legs and feet LOVE this brushing. It truly stimulates the skin and circulation, but I've never had more than a "rosy" reaction that lasts about 30 seconds.

Arnica gel is what I use, and I rub it in first, then brush. I keep a small travel size hand sanitizer bottle filled with the arnica gel, and I will massage my ankles and feet on airplanes in the bathroom. It helps the swelling while flying, too.

Edited by pcur

This is almost exactly like the brush I use, only I get mine on Amazon for around $9.

I found since I started using this brush at home, too, that when I cruise the swelling is diminished now. On my last several cruises I had very little, had the vasculitis heat rash for a few days, but everything was far, far better than before.

I have sensitive, easy bruising skin, too, and my legs and feet LOVE this brushing. It truly stimulates the skin and circulation, but I've never had more than a "rosy" reaction that lasts about 30 seconds.

Arnica gel is what I use, and I rub it in first, then brush. I keep a small travel size hand sanitizer bottle filled with the arnica gel, and I will massage my ankles and feet on airplanes in the bathroom. It helps the swelling while flying, too.

Thank you Peggy for the feedback I'm sure you've helped many fellow cruisers.

Edited by SANJOSEGAL

• 3 weeks later...

Wow.....I have never been to the fashion thread but needed to find out if I could wear white in Oct in europe......got that not answered quickly and just as I was leaving I spy this thread....how enlightening!....I am already taking Lasix and it works for the most part.....will need support for our 3 weeks to and from Europe including an 11 day cruise....great information.....will run it by my cardiologist to be ready......on my last caribbean cruise brought bottled water and that made a significant difference much to my surprise.....every little bit helps....thank you so much for the great info!

I have been very interested in this thread for some time - and do experience swelling on the 'high seas' - in fact most recently I am experiencing swelling in the evenings (left foot) and am quite bothered by it - have been sleeping with foot elevated but sometimes it is still a bit swollen upon awakening.

Yes I am seeking medical attention and have had an ultrasound of my left leg to rule out the possibility of a blood clot and will be having an MRI done 1st week of September.

But I am thinking why not try the brushing? Certainly can't hurt right? So was out and about this weekend and found the brush (as pictured in another post) at Winner's! (only about $10) - but still have to find the arnica gel? (might try a health food store?).

What I really want is some guidance/instruction from those doing this?

How often?

Before/after shower? day or evening?

How long?

How much gel? does it matter what kind of gel? (in case I can't find arnica - any substitutions?)

How does it feel/look afterward?

Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly so I can establish whether or not this is helpful for me!

Hoping to hear back from the ladies who are doing this on a regular basis! Thanks :)

Hello, everyone.

While on another board someone mentioned another possible remedy to this problem. Black Cherry supplements. Anyone heard of this? Well I'm going to give it a try on my next cruise, along with the brushing, which didn't work so well for me alone, and will report back.

Sadly, this did not work for me. I purchased the brush and oil, started days before leaving, and still had swollen ankles and feet. I will be flying next month and will try again. I really, really, really want this to work.

Hello, everyone.

While on another board someone mentioned another possible remedy to this problem. Black Cherry supplements. Anyone heard of this? Well I'm going to give it a try on my next cruise, along with the brushing, which didn't work so well for me alone, and will report back.

Yes...if you do a search and type in Black Cherry Supplements I bet some

older threads will come up. I tried them and they didn't work for me.

Yj2 - I've tried the black cherry capsules with success. It's not a supplement I take every day at home. I usually take them a couple of weeks before the trip and then during the cruise. Even had DH take them since figured it couldn't hurt. Haven't tried the dry brushing although might.

OK, I didn't think to start taking them weeks in advance of my cruise. Well I guess I better order them since I'm cruising pretty soon. Lois, I'll check for the other threads. I'm hoping this works for me!

You don't have to "order them".....any of the GNC and those type stores

sells them.......And I think if you look at any pharmecy, they may carry

them too.

Sadly, this did not work for me. I purchased the brush and oil, started days before leaving, and still had swollen ankles and feet. I will be flying next month and will try again. I really, really, really want this to work.

A few suggestions:

-Try the Arnica gel instead of oil. Arnica is a natural ingredient for swelling and pain. I even rub it on when I have a visible bruise I want to get rid of. I whacked myself on the forearm against a table corner a few weeks ago. Rubbing arnica gel on it once/twice a day for 2 days and it was gone.

-Wear compression socks when you fly, or when you drive for long periods. For me, the swelling actually starts when I fly, and then it's hard to get rid of it on cruises.

I have found that avoiding as much ship water as possuble is the answer for me....First cruises, I would leave the ship miserably uncomfortable....now I buy lots of bottled water...treat myself to only a few cold soups on the shop...no extra salt etc. Correct me if I am wrong, the ships use recycled sea water for general use? At home I drink low sodium V 8 often...it has alot of potassium to counter act too much sodium...I am going to try the parsley idea out of curiosity and an overgrown herb garden...

I have found that avoiding as much ship water as possuble is the answer for me....First cruises, I would leave the ship miserably uncomfortable....now I buy lots of bottled water...treat myself to only a few cold soups on the shop...no extra salt etc. Correct me if I am wrong, the ships use recycled sea water for general use? At home I drink low sodium V 8 often...it has alot of potassium to counter act too much sodium...I am going to try the parsley idea out of curiosity and an overgrown herb garden...

You are wrong.

The primary source of ships' water is desalinated ocean water, which has been purified to a standard that far exceeds those of most U.S. municipal water departments (and the company that produced your bottled water). Certain minerals are added back to the purified water. No salt is added.

Where cruise passengers get their overload of salt is from the prepared food.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

My Dr asked me to try using bottled water as much as possible while on board......so I did.....and I was shocked to find I barely had some swelling all week....I did not stint myself food wise.....i'm a believer and will try it again in feb....so while i may be"wrong" I was a lot more comfortable!

My Dr asked me to try using bottled water as much as possible while on board......so I did.....and I was shocked to find I barely had some swelling all week....I did not stint myself food wise.....i'm a believer and will try it again in feb....so while i may be"wrong" I was a lot more comfortable!

Same here. After years of suffering with swollen legs, ankles and fingers, I stopped drinking everything on the ship. No coffee, ice tea...etc. Just bottled water. I never add any additional salt to any of my food, so this was not an issue. Have not had any problems since changing....:)

I have been very interested in this thread for some time - and do experience swelling on the 'high seas' - in fact most recently I am experiencing swelling in the evenings (left foot) and am quite bothered by it - have been sleeping with foot elevated but sometimes it is still a bit swollen upon awakening.

Yes I am seeking medical attention and have had an ultrasound of my left leg to rule out the possibility of a blood clot and will be having an MRI done 1st week of September.

But I am thinking why not try the brushing? Certainly can't hurt right? So was out and about this weekend and found the brush (as pictured in another post) at Winner's! (only about $10) - but still have to find the arnica gel? (might try a health food store?).

What I really want is some guidance/instruction from those doing this?

How often?

Before/after shower? day or evening?

How long?

How much gel? does it matter what kind of gel? (in case I can't find arnica - any substitutions?)

How does it feel/look afterward?

Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly so I can establish whether or not this is helpful for me!

Hoping to hear back from the ladies who are doing this on a regular basis! Thanks :)

Reposting and hoping for some details on what I should be doing as per above? Thanks :)

I get my arnica gel & arnica salve @ Walmart here in East Texas. If you can't find it, ask for help. The gel is made by Boiron ( w w w arnicare dot com) in a 'toothpaste' like tube, & the salve is in a pot or tub made by DeLaCruz

Hope this helps...

I am back with an update, and some new info on using the arnica gel.

I am allergic to mosquitoes, and I am in the mid-west spending some time with family. I was stung four times on my left foot, and once on my right.

Now, this happened to me here about two years ago and my feet and ankles were horribly swollen, plus the bites developed QUARTER sized blisters that took 3 weeks to go away. It was an awful experience.

So, this time I was prepared. I got Benadryl gel. Great for swelling and itching. I combined it with the arnica gel on my hands, and massaged it into my feet. With mosquito bites I get swelling in a 4 inch diameter all around the bite, so with 4 of them on my foot you can imagine what would have happened to my foot!

When I say massage, I mean MASSAGE!! Don't be a sissy about this, and really work the arnica (maybe Benadryl) into the affected area.

I then rubbed in hydrocortisone cream after the gels.

Amazing results! The bites are "bite-size" now. My left ankle is still swollen, not badly.

I had to do this 3 - 4 times a day for the first two days, but it worked.

So, those of you with really bad swelling might want to add the Benadryl to your arnica. It's basically an antihistamine product which is used to reduce swelling anyway.

I am back with an update, and some new info on using the arnica gel.

I am allergic to mosquitoes, and I am in the mid-west spending some time with family. I was stung four times on my left foot, and once on my right.

Now, this happened to me here about two years ago and my feet and ankles were horribly swollen, plus the bites developed QUARTER sized blisters that took 3 weeks to go away. It was an awful experience.

So, this time I was prepared. I got Benadryl gel. Great for swelling and itching. I combined it with the arnica gel on my hands, and massaged it into my feet. With mosquito bites I get swelling in a 4 inch diameter all around the bite, so with 4 of them on my foot you can imagine what would have happened to my foot!

When I say massage, I mean MASSAGE!! Don't be a sissy about this, and really work the arnica (maybe Benadryl) into the affected area.

I then rubbed in hydrocortisone cream after the gels.

Amazing results! The bites are "bite-size" now. My left ankle is still swollen, not badly.

I had to do this 3 - 4 times a day for the first two days, but it worked.

So, those of you with really bad swelling might want to add the Benadryl to your arnica. It's basically an antihistamine product which is used to reduce swelling anyway.

This is great to read because every year I get a few small mosquito bites in Florida before our cruise and they bother me throughout the cruise. I don't swell yet they itch like crazy. I will be hitting up Target on my way home today to buy some Benadryl and Arnica. Thank you for following up with us.

After reading the post about where the lymph glands are, have been doing just the dry brushing before shower a few nights a week and notice I seem to sleep better. Today happened to see a natural bristle nail brush and picked it up, thinking packing this for a trip is much better than the big body brushes, space-wise. Just a thought.