White Pants OK in Mediterranean Ports During the Fall?

We are taking a Mediterranean cruise in Sept./Oct. visiting Spain, France, Italy, Montenegro, and Croatia. Do men and/or women wear white pants in the Mediterranean during these early Fall months? I don't expect to look like anything other than a tourist, but I want to be respectful of local customs. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

One of the things I remember about early Euro trips was lack of pale colors on shore even in high Summer. Europeans wear dark colors and dress more covered up than tourists. Wear your whites on ship where they will remain clean also.

Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing.

We are going to England, Spain and France in Oct. and I have a pair of cream colored jeans that I would like to take.

I live in South Florida and we wear white pretty much year round.

Check those pictures of fashion shows. On me, white attracts stains. That's why I never wear white pants on trips. It's usually black, dark blue, grey.

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/5-mens-fashion-trends-to-keep-for-2015/

Me too. I once spilled a glass of white wine on my white pants while on a plane. Can you imagine what my pants looked like when I got off the plane? :eek:

There was a thread somewhere else about wearing white in Europe to which I replied (note where I live)

In that I said that my decision to wear white in 'fall' - is that September/October? - would more likely be governed by temperature. If it was blazing hot, and can be over 30 in September, then I would have no hesitation in wearing lightweight white trousers.

Two things (cultural) to note:

1) As Labour Day in Europe is May 1st, the US rule re no white after Labour Day obviously doesn't apply

2) Pants over here are what you wear under your trousers i.e. underwear. I certainly would hope never to see anyone walking about in their 'pants' - whatever colour they were!!:)

Yes wear white

I wore white in the Med in the fall

If temperature and fabric apply, sure.

Others wore white and in capris, shorts, slacks, dresses depending on weather that particular day

We were there end of October into November

Always felt comfortable

Thanks for all your suggestions and insights. It seems the consensus is it will be OK to wear white trousers only at the French port stop if it is hot enough to justify that choice.

Florindiana, thanks for the link. I had a huge laugh picturing my 60 something husband in some of those outfits! And orchestapal, don't worry - I have not worn short shorts or skimpy tops in at least the last 30 years, as I am also a 60 something grandmother!

Just to reiterate - white trousers are fine anywhere, not just in port, if the weather is warm enough. ALL my summer trousers are white and I wear them until it's really too cold. I even wear them with a light sweater if it's beginning to get chilly in the evenings.

I don't wish to appear snarky or rude, but whose opinion would you rate on this topic - people who have only visited Europe or someone who actually lives there? Just saying!:)

There are two issues for me - one, I don't wear white. I really don't like it much and it doesn't like me. So no matter the season or climate, I personally don't wear it. That might bias my opinion that I don't like to see it on others in non- summer or warm weather times (and yes, that applies to jeans or winter white wool too).

The second issue is that light colors are bad for me personally for travel as I'm messy. Dirt at the flea market, sauce from the street food, red wine - you name it, I'll wear it. So though I wear khaki and stone quite a bit at home, I don't usually travel with that either. Black with accents and different textures works best.

If you go in to your packing list knowing you love white pants and want to wear them, I'm sure you will see others doing the same.

• 3 weeks later...
We are taking a Mediterranean cruise in Sept./Oct. visiting Spain, France, Italy, Montenegro, and Croatia. Do men and/or women wear white pants in the Mediterranean during these early Fall months? I don't expect to look like anything other than a tourist, but I want to be respectful of local customs. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I am European, and having spent many summer holidays in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, etc. the short answer is no. Late September is autumn, and we switch to darker colours and more substantial fabrics. The average daytime temperature in southern France in mid-October is 18C. White trousers or a white skirt is something I wear when it's 30C outside.

I remember attending a ball in Milan in northern Italy in October a couple of years ago, and I ended up wearing a velvet jacket over my frock since it was so cool.

There was a thread somewhere else about wearing white in Europe to which I replied (note where I live)

In that I said that my decision to wear white in 'fall' - is that September/October? - would more likely be governed by temperature. If it was blazing hot, and can be over 30 in September, then I would have no hesitation in wearing lightweight white trousers.

Two things (cultural) to note:

1) As Labour Day in Europe is May 1st, the US rule re no white after Labour Day obviously doesn't apply

2) Pants over here are what you wear under your trousers i.e. underwear. I certainly would hope never to see anyone walking about in their 'pants' - whatever colour they were!!:)

That is a good point. Yes, pants are worn underneath one's clothes and should never see the light of day. However, I think OP probably meant trousers.

I am a fellow European, and I would never wear pure white linen or cotton trousers/dresses/skirts in late September. If it's blazing hot, sunny and 30C, I have plenty of sun dresses in darker colours (brick red, blue, green, etc.) that will keep me cool. Even in southern France and northern Spain, the average high in October is 19C. I don't think one runs the risk of overheating.