Ariel Tramway..anyone done it?

English lady

Has anyone done the Ariel Tramway tour from Panama? I will be sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas on 14/1/2005.

I like the idea but don't only want to see foliage !!! The only tour available leaves at 10.45...not sure how long it takes to get there but I don't want to take it and find all birds and animals will be having a lunch time nap !!!

I would really appreciate some feedback on this tour

We did it last Decmber-a bit earlier in the day than your tour. We left from Colon (as opposed to leaving from a ship anchored in Gatun Lake). The trip to the Gamboa Rainforest Resort was about 90 miuntes each way. The tram ride itself was ok but not spectacular. We saw mostly foliage-one monkey and a few birds. I believe the noise of the tram causes animals to move away. That said, the experience is interesting and, at the top of the tramway, a tower provides maginficant views of the canal.

Those passsengers who did the "zip line" treetop trips in Costa Rica and Roatan reported seeing far more wildlife than we did. (On the "zipline", one is in a harness swinging silently between platforms.)

My overall recomendation would be to skip the tram-especially if this is your first trip to Panama. We had spent time in Panama on several trips over decades and wanted to take this tour, in part, because it took us in to areas of the country which had been off limits during American control of the zone. Seeing the Gamboa Rainforest Resort was, thereefore, of interest.

If you are a young and energetic English Lady, I would then suggest a trip to the zipline at Coral and Almonds south of Puerto Limon (see Costa Rica port board for lots of info on this trip).

Bruce O'Dea

Bradenton, Florida

For a first trip to Panama, the Canal should probably be the main focus.

Your post does not give your itinerary. If you are on a cruise that does a full transit, or even a partial transit (in to and out of Gatun Lake), you will get a full view of the Canal's workings as you go through the locks. You will get some feel of the rainforest through which the Canal threads as well.

If, on the other hand, you are docking at Colon, I would suggest a tour to the Gatun locks. I would expect that there are cabs available for just that purpose. You may wish one for 3 hrs so you can spend some time watching ships go through.

There are full day tours by car and rail which will take you ocean to ocean and to Panama City. Not recommended by me.

I note some cruise lines docking at Colon are offering partial canal transits in small boats. Expensive, but if you really want to get the feel of the thing....... might be worth it.

For a first trip to Panama, the Canal should probably be the main focus.

Your post does not give your itinerary. If you are on a cruise that does a full transit, or even a partial transit (in to and out of Gatun Lake), you will get a full view of the Canal's workings as you go through the locks. You will get some feel of the rainforest through which the Canal threads as well.

If, on the other hand, you are docking at Colon, I would suggest a tour to the Gatun locks. I would expect that there are cabs available for just that purpose. You may wish one for 3 hrs so you can spend some time watching ships go through.

There are full day tours by car and rail which will take you ocean to ocean and to Panama City. Not recommended by me.

I note some cruise lines docking at Colon are offering partial canal transits in small boats. Expensive, but if you really want to get the feel of the thing....... might be worth it.

The Legend docks at Colon. I don't want to do the ocean to ocean sounds like a bit much. I've seen a cruise liner go through locks in Canada but I'm thinking the Panama will be great. Might try to find a pritvate tour to do.I have some time to search yet!

Archived