All Things Vantage

FuelScience

My husband and I have never been on a river cruise, but we have done several ocean cruises. We are considering Viking's A Seine River Cruise: Paris & Highlights of Normandy. I like the itinerary because it is longer than the Viking itinerary that my travel agent had suggested. I am not against Viking or Uniworld - I ruled out AMA because I did not like the ship.

I have (3) questions for the members here - has Vantage ever docked at Honfleur? I read reviews online indicating that they docked at Le Havre instead? Is September a good month to go? I asked the Vantage rep and he said anytime is a good time to go.

Has anyone taken this cruise and can you recommend it?

My husband has never been to Europe, while I actually lived there. We are looking to sail in 2015, and the only criteria I have is that I would NOT go during the height of the summer because of crowds.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Diane

Just be sure you go when the Monet Gardens in Giverny are open. That was one of the highlights of our trip. Think they are only open April to Nov.

Just got off the Culinary French Waterways cruise and hope to post a review when I get home in a week.

But I wanted to point out one thing that tripped up many of our fellow passengers. Vantage shipboard charges were billed through a company in Cyprus.:eek: This was noted in the "Money Matters While On Board" section of the little black book, but most of us didn't see it. Some passengers had their credit card charges denied because they didn't realize a trip to France would include charges from Cyprus.

So beware: Check your Vantage travel documents, and make sure you include whatever country they use for your ship in your notifications of travel to your credit card company!

Hi GregnChris - Just found on page 18 (Travel guide for French Waterways) under Money Matters re: billing thru a Cyprus company for on board expenses. Good info, thanks. Leaving June 2. Willard
YEP. that is good info. I just checked my Docs. and its in there. I would have missed it.

Just got off the Culinary French Waterways cruise and hope to post a review when I get home in a week.

But I wanted to point out one thing that tripped up many of our fellow passengers. Vantage shipboard charges were billed through a company in Cyprus.:eek: This was noted in the "Money Matters While On Board" section of the little black book, but most of us didn't see it. Some passengers had their credit card charges denied because they didn't realize a trip to France would include charges from Cyprus.

So beware: Check your Vantage travel documents, and make sure you include whatever country they use for your ship in your notifications of travel to your credit card company!

Yup, this is true.....and another reason why you should always read the "fine print"...:)

Treasures Of France 21 day ' date='Which Optional tours are a must// THANKS[/quote']

I checked out your itinerary and your optionals. I spent 3 weeks in France on a Trafalgar bus tour, which was marvelous, but grueling, however, I did visit the Louvre and Versailles and can recommend them both as being worthwhile. I didn't visit Perouges, but I googled it and it looks very picturesque, so you would have to decide if it's something you would enjoy.

I did notice one choice that you have and I'll weigh in on it if you don't mind...(well, even if you do it's too late, isn't it?) When you're in Normandy you have an option to see the Bayeaux tapestry...I would recommend it, it's absolutely amazing and the self-guided tour with headset was excellent because it took you to each numbered location and explained what you were seeing. I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that it was handmade!!!

• 1 month later...

To keep things active on the Advantage board, the River Splendor which Bev and I will be on in Aug.2015 is docked outside Vienna according to http://www.marinetraffic.com/ . News is one of the lock doors is damaged in Passau. Repair's could keep the locks down until 12/12/14.

If the ship is headed to Passau the repair's might be done in time.

We will sail on Vantage River Splendor on May 12 from Bonn sailing to Constania. We are trying to plan schedules in each port. Does anyone have the schedule from a previous cruise about the times of arrival and departure from the ports. I realize each sailing is a little different but having an idea of the time in each port would be really helpful.

Also are most of the docking locations within easy walks to the center city?

My email is mec419@gmail.com

Thanks so much for any information you could share. Elaine

My husband and I have never been on a river cruise, but we have done several ocean cruises. We are considering Viking's A Seine River Cruise: Paris & Highlights of Normandy. I like the itinerary because it is longer than the Viking itinerary that my travel agent had suggested. I am not against Viking or Uniworld - I ruled out AMA because I did not like the ship.

I have (3) questions for the members here - has Vantage ever docked at Honfleur? I read reviews online indicating that they docked at Le Havre instead? Is September a good month to go? I asked the Vantage rep and he said anytime is a good time to go.

Has anyone taken this cruise and can you recommend it?

My husband has never been to Europe, while I actually lived there. We are looking to sail in 2015, and the only criteria I have is that I would NOT go during the height of the summer because of crowds.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Diane

We did the 10/31/14 Seine River/Normandie cruise and it was wonderful.

The rivership docked in LeHavre, not Honfleur. For most of 2014 it was in LeHavre, due to a change in French maritime laws, but once they did dock in Honfleur, which is a charming town near LeHavre. Our cruise was scheduled for Honfleur as well, but during the cruise we were notified of the change to LeHavre.

LeHavre is an industrial port and there is a big shopping center/mall with stores and a big grocery store about two blocks from where the ship docks.

We found the best shopping to be in Paris ... the other ports had minimal shopping.

We were at Versailles in November and the crowds were horrific. It was like being on a subway at rush hour, but with shuffling feet ... truly. There were many bus tours and I think that was the main cause.

We did a private tour to the Beaches of Normandy since we wanted to travel as far as Sainte-Mere-Eglise, home of the Airborne Museum and spend the day at our own pace. It was worth every cent.

If you have any specific questions, I may be able to assist :)

CP556: Interesting that Versailles was crowded for you. We were on the Rhone from 10/23/14 thru 11/3 and were in Paris afterward. Some of the folks took the Vantage excursion to Versailles (on Wed. 11/5 I believe) and they said it was empty. Their guide said he had never seen it so empty. What a difference a few days can make.

Greg

CP556: Interesting that Versailles was crowded for you. We were on the Rhone from 10/23/14 thru 11/3 and were in Paris afterward. Some of the folks took the Vantage excursion to Versailles (on Wed. 11/5 I believe) and they said it was empty. Their guide said he had never seen it so empty. What a difference a few days can make.

Greg

Greg, how I wish Versailles had been empty the day we were there. But I guess it's the luck of the draw. What I did like was the parking lot vendors selling the same little Eiffel Towers they sold in Paris. I'd had Buyers' Regret for not buying more (5 for one euro) and I got 6 for a euro in the Versailles parking lot ... lol.

I can only help with Budapest to Constanta since we did this trip in two parts and when we did second one we did pre-trip to Prague. So, here's what I have from our trip this past June:

Embarkation: ship repositions at 8:30 p.m. (Be sure you're on deck with a camera)

Day 2: Budapest....ship sails 10:00 p.m.

Day 3: Kalocsa/Mohacs...arrive 6 a.m. departs 4:30 p.m.

Day 4: Mohacs: Ship over-nights in Mohacs and sail 3 p.m. following day

Day 5: VukovarOsijek: arrive 12 a.m. sail 10:30 p.m.

Day 6: Belgrade: arrive 6:30 a.m. sail 12:00 a.m.

Day 7: sailing the Iron Gates, no port.

Day 8: Ruse....arrive 1:00 p.m.

Day 9: Ruse...departs 9:30 p.m.

Day 10: Constanta...arrives 1:00 p.m.

Day 11: Disembarkation at 8:30 a.m. for Bucharest.

Hope this helps and I hope I got the days numbered right.....I have serious number issues!! :o

I can only help with Budapest to Constanta since we did this trip in two parts and when we did second one we did pre-trip to Prague. So, here's what I have from our trip this past June:

Embarkation: ship repositions at 8:30 p.m. (Be sure you're on deck with a camera)

Day 2: Budapest....ship sails 10:00 p.m.

Day 3: Kalocsa/Mohacs...arrive 6 a.m. departs 4:30 p.m.

Day 4: Mohacs: Ship over-nights in Mohacs and sail 3 p.m. following day

Day 5: VukovarOsijek: arrive 12 a.m. sail 10:30 p.m.

Day 6: Belgrade: arrive 6:30 a.m. sail 12:00 a.m.

Day 7: sailing the Iron Gates, no port.

Day 8: Ruse....arrive 1:00 p.m.

Day 9: Ruse...departs 9:30 p.m.

Day 10: Constanta...arrives 1:00 p.m.

Day 11: Disembarkation at 8:30 a.m. for Bucharest.

Hope this helps and I hope I got the days numbered right.....I have serious number issues!! :o

Hydro kitty. Thank you very much. This is really helpful!

One additional question. Do you have a recommendation for things to do in Mohacs?

Hydro kitty. Thank you very much. This is really helpful!

One additional question. Do you have a recommendation for things to do in Mohacs?

Hi Donray...were on the Navigator and haven't been on the new ships yet. (I keep trying but the dates just don't work out) anyway, there were no tables for 2. I don't think they have any, but tables for 4-6-8 are fun. We have found that open seating works and have made some permanent friends on 2 trips that we now travel with. This last one (Black Sea) was the best group we've ever traveled with..I never had so much fun in my life!! Virtually everyone is retired and like to talk about trips they've been on and trips they have planned. Politics rarely comes up because everyone knows it's an unpleasant subject for most people. There's always one, but you're not assigned to the same table so, at worst, it's one meal and done. That being said, if it's a real problem for you, I would suggest you ask the dining room manager and see what they can do to accommodate you.

As for Kalocsa and Mohacs: In Kalocsa there was a walking tour, but the hill was very steep so I didn't go. DH went and said it was interesting. After lunch there was an optional tour to the Hungarian Puszta for a demonstration of puszta riding. I would give it a B-....horses appeared well cared for, but show was kind of circusy and ho hum for me. In Mohacs we visited the town of Pecs, where we saw the Necropolis, an underground Christian cemetery that was amazing. I will issue one word of caution on the necropolis. We were advised that claustrophobics might have a problem inside. I have mild claustrophobia and I was fine, EXCEPT do not get in the tiny glass elevator!! It tends to get stuck, it did, and it was my banging on the glass that alerted people to us being inside! It was an amazing site to see and you're only inside maybe 30-40 minutes tops. The lunch was in a restaurant nearby and was excellent. I would give Pecs an A+.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I've read that River Splendor has a "Jazz" theme and that the Deluxe and Owners Suites are named for jazz artists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, etc.

Anyone know where a listing can be found of which suites have particular names?

Thanks....

I've read that River Splendor has a "Jazz" theme and that the Deluxe and Owners Suites are named for jazz artists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, etc.

Anyone know where a listing can be found of which suites have particular names?

Thanks....

i know on the Navigator it's a Frank Sinatra theme. Suites were Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin, Shirley MacLaine and Frank was the owner's suite.

Interestingly, they show the suites on the floor plans, but without names. Probably because while the deck plans are all very similar, the suite names vary. Friends of ours had one of the suites, and frankly, I found them a little frightening!! Imagine waking up with an almost life size photo of Frank, or Dean, or Sammy looking down on your bed.....(shivers) :D

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Vantage Roll Call thread, several CCers completed Vantage cruises in the last quarter of the year. I would suggest that you consider posting reviews at the link below.

Lots of folks who visit CruiseCritic to compare cruise lines aren't even aware of the forums and only look on the general and member reviews. There are currently only 13 member reviews for Vantage cruises, and it would be nice to have a few more to help people assess Vantage--especially since they don't work with travel agents.

FuelScience

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/vantage-cruises/cl/

I would write a review of our Irrawaddy river cruise but the boat is not listed.

Any suggestions about how to add a ship to the VERY short list. This may be the problem that many have faced when trying to submit a review.

Write it on the River board with the Company name and ship in the title.

In a brand new Thread of course!

(But be sure and post a link here so it can easily be found by other cruisers)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541