Celebrity Eclipse in a sky suite and disabled.

sorrymate

New to cruising and sailing next july to the med with my wife who is able bodied.I am T5 paraplegic and a permanant wheelchair user.I would like to know what it is like in the suite, on the ship, and in the ports.In particular what happens when i arrive in Southhampton with quite alot of baggage.My wife will have to carry on a medical supplies bag and a shower chair.What kind of help can we expect.Also what is the on /off procedure at the other ports of call and what about these Easytours do you have to transfer out of your wheelchair after you have used the lift to get onto the coach.

Sorry lots of questions but your answers will be much appreciated.

Sorrymate, my only piece of advice is to get on the Celebrity website and get either the phone number or e-mail address for their special needs department and let them know you'll be sailing. You probably won't need to divulge any more information than you've already posted here on the CC site. They'll be able to inform you of what services they are able to provide, as well as procedures for their Easytours. Ask for any assistance you think you might need embarking/disembarking the ship at any/all of the ports.

For other information, you've started off on the right foot by asking here. I can't be of any help with Celebrity specifics, because I've not sailed with them...yet. :)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and an exhilarating experience.

New to cruising and sailing next july to the med with my wife who is able bodied.I am T5 paraplegic and a permanant wheelchair user.I would like to know what it is like in the suite, on the ship, and in the ports.In particular what happens when i arrive in Southhampton with quite alot of baggage.My wife will have to carry on a medical supplies bag and a shower chair.What kind of help can we expect.Also what is the on /off procedure at the other ports of call and what about these Easytours do you have to transfer out of your wheelchair after you have used the lift to get onto the coach.

Sorry lots of questions but your answers will be much appreciated.

Celebrity Cruises - Access Department: 1-866-592-7225 or via email special_needs@rccl.com shorexaccess@rccl.com for excursion information

Best to contact Celebrity Directly via their Access Department.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Sorry I cannot help with more info:(

Joanie

I use a scooter and have been in a Sky Suite. The only problem you will have is in the bathroom. It's a step up into the room and there's a regular shower that you must step into and a bathtub. No handrails at all in the bathroom. The showers are not that roomy so I don't know how you will handle getting into and out of the shower. IMHO, you really needed to book an accessible cabin that has a roll in shower, hand rails everywhere and a roll up sink.

When you arrive at the port, there will be porters who will take your luggage and make sure it gets onto the ship. You tip them a couple of dollars per bag. Your wife should not have to bring the shower chair if you call Celebrity before you depart and request one in your cabin.

As for your ports of call, if it's a tender port, they will not let you off the ship in a wheelchair. You have to be able to walk down the stairs to the tender deck and get onto the tender with support of the crew. They will not take power wheelchairs or scooters on the tenders.

If it's a docked port, you should be able to leave the ship with no problems. Make sure to look for the exit for those in wheelchairs, as they are easier to maneuver.

Again, I cannot stress enough that you REALLY need to book an accessible cabin and not just a regular one. If you are totally confined in a wheelchair, a regular Sky Suite will not do for you.

That's wonderful. I'm relieved that you have an accessible suite. The Sky Suites are wonderful. Your butler will be able to do a lot for you, such as bringing meals to your suite, booking reservations in the specialty restaurants and even helping your wife with luggage/packing/unpacking

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi Kitty9 i should have said that my sky suite is accessible and on the resort deck.Thanks for your helpful comments though.:)

It was my understand that all accessible rooms have a roll in shower with a fold down seat. So you can leave the shower chair at home, at least. I would double check with the accessibility provider to make sure. It wouldn't make sense to have it in the lower categories and not the suites, though, in my mind.

Archived