In search of great local carribbean cuisine!

bitsey66

The best place to have local cuisine would be at any lolos (locally owned and locally operated). There are many on the French side in Grand Case on Boulevard de Grand Case.

http://www.grandcase.com/lolos/

http://www.stmartinisland.org/st-martin-restaurants/restaurants-saint-martin.html

http://www.stmartinisland.org/even-more-st-martin-island/st-martin-focus-of-the-month/93-specials/439-lolo.html

You can get local cuisine at the lolos, if that's where you decide to go, but just try to make sure your order the local dishes as opposed to the more Americanized ones. Nothing wrong with those dishes, but you can get them here in the States.

For excellent island dishes, there are 3 places I would suggest, all on the French side. Yvette's in Orleans is my favorite, offering dishes such as goat stew, St. Martin chicken, conch and dumplings, and an outstanding pan fried snapper. All these plates come with 3 or 4 sides, including their famous Johnny Cakes, and none cost more than $16/plate. Next up is Hercules, across from the pharmacy in Cul de Sac, who does an excellent grilled grouper. I haven't tried anything else yet, other than his Accras, but I'm totally happy eating grouper there anytime. Ok, maybe next time I'll try the conch.

Villa Royale in Grand Case is a bit more upscale, offering classic island dishes, as well as more creative offerings such as tempura fried conch, and mahi mahi tartar.

I always wash my island meals down with Ti Punch, essentially rum made from sugar cane, lime juice and sugar.

Hope this helps.

We certainly love Yvette's, but for your visit I would second the idea of visiting the Lolos in Grand Case.

Yvette's is great, but casual and slow service. It's great for a dinner meal.

Our current favorite for lunch is Germaine's. Good food, cheap cold beer and $1 = €1.

If you want a bit fancier, try Sandy's in Marigot, across from the central parking lot. We plan to eat there next visit, based on our friend Joyce Hanley Prince's recommendation.

gary

• 2 weeks later...