Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Canada

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Beaches in St. John's N.B.

Hello everyone,

My family is sailing with CCL a the end of June. I realize that it still may be to cool to swim then, but what beaches are nice to possibly catch some sun? Or isn't this a good idea at all?

We're from eastern Pa., and it's usually pretty warm at this time of yr., but the pools, lakes, etc., might be cold yet.

Thanks!

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Saint John isn't known for it's beaches, but there are a couple in the surrounding area. Bayshore is closest, and Mclaren's is further south. It will be way cold yet to go in the water, but it can be nice enough to lay out and catch some rays. Or you can lay out and freeze your butt off. June weather is unpredictable in that part of the country, especially right on the water.

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."

Fond Memories Of

Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:10 AM
5,000+ Club

On a geographical note, you will be in Saint John. St. John's is in Newfoundland which is quite a distance from here.

As for beaches, nobody in their right mind would swim in the Bay of Fundy. It is simply freezing at any time of the year.
You might find a day at the end of June that would be comfortable to spend on the beach sunning but if I were going to swim and get in some beach time I would go to Rockwood Park Beach which is a short taxi ride from the pier. The lake temperature would be OK for swimming, and just being a few blocks away from the bay makes for a warmer temperature for sunning. There is a canteen there and washrooms are available. There is also a childrens' playground a few steps away from the beach, as well as the horse barns which the kids love.
Get the taxi driver to let you off by the playground and you can walk along the short path to the lake and beach. If you walk to a quieter area of the small lake you can feed the ducks if you like.

Even if the morning is cool and foggy, which days in June often are, it could burn off and be very warm and sunny by noon.

If you enjoy hiking along the water, you could visit the Irving Nature Park--about 10 to 15 minutes by cab--and take the two hour hike around the park. There are several spots where you can find a nice rock to sit on while you bask in the sun and take in the lovely scenery by the water. If you do that, take something to drink with you as there are no food concessions in the park.

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all your great answers. I'm sure we'll find a lot of other things to do other then finding a beach.

Old May 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinad View Post
Thanks for all your great answers. I'm sure we'll find a lot of other things to do other then finding a beach.
I don't know if your cruise takes you to Prince Edward Island, but if it does, they have the nicest sandy beaches north of the Caribbean---plus the water is warm enough to swim in.
New Brunswick does have some nice beaches for swimming but unfortunately they are on the North Shore. The Fundy Shore is very rocky and cold.

Old May 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

No, no Prince Edward's Island. St. John's is the only stop on our 4 night cruise.

Thank you anyway. I'll keep that in mind for our next one in that direction.

All swimming will be done on the ship, under roof, I suspect! I'm sure we'll have plenty of heat on the way, when we get back home!

Great info.!

Old May 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinad View Post
No, no Prince Edward's Island. St. John's is the only stop on our 4 night cruise.

Thank you anyway. I'll keep that in mind for our next one in that direction.

All swimming will be done on the ship, under roof, I suspect! I'm sure we'll have plenty of heat on the way, when we get back home!

Great info.!
Have you considered the Canada Games Aquatic Centre - a couple blocks from ship? Olympic size pool, 2 leisure pools, kids pool, waterslide, hot tubs, steam room, sauna, tarzan rope, diving platform and boards and toys ... http://www.aquatics.nb.ca/cgac/
Carnival Victory
Celebrity Millenium (Mediterranean)
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Legend
Carnival Liberty
Celebrity Millenium (Caribbean)

Old May 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Acey, I will go on their website and check it out. I didn't even know of them.