Electrical Socket in stateroom

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:46 PM.
San Francisco
3,666 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Im looking at a USB adapter like this one with 4 sockets.

There is a European plug that I want to use in the stateroom.

The plug that I found dosen't look like the right one. What is the name for the plug that I need to fit in this socket?

Thanks!

Tom
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967, 58 months
Inland Empire, CA
10,023 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
That one should fit the outlet. It is an ungrounded version much like a two prong 120V US outlet.

We bought this one and used it with a standard US multi port USB outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan' 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Switzerland
2,209 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
It's correct. The European socket on Princess ships (under the bed on non Royal class) takes the various different shapes of EU plugs, some are like the picture you posted, some are round, some have 3 prongs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
Azura - October 2017

180 days completed and counting
39 Captain's Circle Credits
I don't have any Toblerones.
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,565 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
You can also buy one like that but is for 120V outlets not the 240V outlets
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Inland Empire, CA
10,023 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by AF-1
You can also buy one like that but is for 120V outlets not the 240V outlets
The OP wanted to be able to use the third outlet which is a European style outlet. That is why I suggested buying just the adapter and using a standard US multi port USB adapter. We did that on the Pacific because we had some items that were not USB powered and needed a separate outlet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan' 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,565 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by IECalCruiser
The OP wanted to be able to use the third outlet which is a European style outlet. That is why I suggested buying just the adapter and using a standard US multi port USB adapter. We did that on the Pacific because we had some items that were not USB powered and needed a separate outlet.
got it. I understand
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Francisco
3,666 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I'm still not sure if the adapter I found is correct as the European socket on the desk looks like it takes an adapter with 3 prongs at the top & one on the bottom.

My question was what's this is called in doing a on-line search.

Tom🤔
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

League City, TX
39,595 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Not all of these multi-port USB chargers are rated for 220V.
Inland Empire, CA
10,023 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by caribill
Not all of these multi-port USB chargers are rated for 220V.
Of course one should always confirm the charger is rated for 110-240V and 50-60Hz but there are probably very few multi-port USB chargers without that rating currently for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Inland Empire, CA
10,023 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by trbarton

The plug that I found dosen't look like the right one. What is the name for the plug that I need to fit in this socket?

Thanks!

Tom
Tom, The socket on the Royal and Regal in your photo is a Type F socket. This type of socket is compatible with type C, E, and F plugs. The USB adapter in your photo has a type C plug and will work in the socket on the Royal and Regal. This is what SwissDave and I said in our previous posts. The type C plug is ungrounded like our two prong US plug while the type E and F plugs are grounded like our three prong US plugs.

I would still recommend getting a Type E/F adapter like the one I referenced in my previous post and use that with a US USB charger rated for 110-240V and 50-60Hz. That way you can also use the charger in the other sockets and at home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Francisco
3,666 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Tom, The socket on the Royal and Regal in your photo is a Type F socket. This type of socket is compatible with type C, E, and F plugs. The USB adapter in your photo has a type C plug and will work in the socket on the Royal and Regal. This is what SwissDave and I said in our previous posts. The type C plug is ungrounded like our two prong US plug while the type E and F plugs are grounded like our three prong US plugs.

I would still recommend getting a Type E/F adapter like the one I referenced in my previous post and use that with a US USB charger rated for 110-240V and 50-60Hz. That way you can also use the charger in the other sockets and at home.
Thank you very much for your explanation. Very helpful in understanding this. Hopefully helpful for others too.

Tom😀
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,300 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by trbarton

Thanks!

Tom

If you look closely at the Euro, the two outer holes have a slight keyhole shape. It'll fit both the narrow and wide Euro pin plugs. You will not need any sort of adapter. We have used several kinds of Euro adapters/splitters/USB on various ships and haven't had an issue. A few of ours have that diamond shape holding the pins. We bought ours as souvenirs.

The issue will be the USB outlet itself. Many times those are slow charging.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Inland Empire, CA
10,023 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by SadieN
The issue will be the USB outlet itself. Many times those are slow charging.
That is another reason I suggested a separate adapter and charger. The model in Tom's photo appears to be rated at only 15 watts which is quite low for 4 ports at less that 4 watts per outlet. Most multi port chargers will be rated at around 10 watts per outlet to be able to charge phones and tablets at the same time.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queensland, Australia
260 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
That is another reason I suggested a separate adapter and charger. The model in Tom's photo appears to be rated at only 15 watts which is quite low for 4 ports at less that 4 watts per outlet. Most multi port chargers will be rated at around 10 watts per outlet to be able to charge phones and tablets at the same time.

Im not truly positive but isn't this USB charger a 3.0A which makes it a fairly fast charger - even with two devices (and three outlets)?? Output of 5V = 3.0A on the side?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhapsody of the Seas - NZ 2008
ms Zaandam - Asia 2010
Jewel of the Seas - Baltics 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific 2012
Silver Shadow - Alaska 2013
Voyager of the Seas - South Pacific 2013
MSC Orchestra - Gallipoli 2015 Cruise
Celebrity Solstice - NZ Dec 2015
Carnival Spirit - March 2016
ms Koningsdam - Norse Legends - July 2016
P&O Pacific Aria - October 30 2016
Ovation of the Seas - NZ - Dec 2016
Golden Princess - PNG & Sth Pacific - Sep 2017
Radiance of The Seas - Tasmania - Dec 2017
Pacific Eden - Sea Break - Wine n Food - May 2018

Carnival Spirit - Singapore to Sydney - June 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Melbourne - Jan 2019

Inland Empire, CA
10,023 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Porky55
Im not truly positive but isn't this USB charger a 3.0A which makes it a fairly fast charger - even with two devices (and three outlets)?? Output of 5V = 3.0A on the side?
If you connect just one device it would be fine. However, an iPhone draws 1.0A when charging and an iPad draws 2.1A. That is already 3.1A and if you connected any other device the charging for all devices would slow down.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queensland, Australia
260 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Thanks for that! So just 2 phones or the iPad on its own
(One of the ports isn't for an Apple device anyway )

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ms Zaandam - Asia 2010
ms Koningsdam - Norse Legends - July 2016
P&O Pacific Aria - October 30 2016
Ovation of the Seas - NZ - Dec 2016
Golden Princess - PNG & Sth Pacific - Sep 2017
Radiance of The Seas - Tasmania - Dec 2017
Pacific Eden - Sea Break - Wine n Food - May 2018

Carnival Spirit - Singapore to Sydney - June 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Melbourne - Jan 2019

Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,300 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Porky55
Thanks for that! So just 2 phones or the iPad on its own
(One of the ports isn't for an Apple device anyway )

That's just how they're labeled in Europe. An Apple product will charge just fine in the Galaxy port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Queensland, Australia
260 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by SadieN
That's just how they're labeled in Europe. An Apple product will charge just fine in the Galaxy port.

Ok thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ms Zaandam - Asia 2010