Long haul,is it worth it?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:22 AM.
cheshire
129 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by wowzz
Perhaps I'm unusual, but I look forward to the long flights, as long as it is not in economy! Sitting in a nice comfy seat, catching up on films I've missed, with wine and food served at regular intervals - what's not to like? Give me 9 hours of that to the Caribbean compared to 4 hours stuffed into easyJet to the Canaries any day!
I can only agree with your comments!
Australia
35 Posts
Joined May 2012
We flew 21 hrs from Adelaide to London to join Azura for 20 nights in July just gone. Flight was tough, but so worth it. On the way home we had 3.5hrs on the Tarmac before we took off from Heathrow due to medical emergency �� That was hard.

I have to get up every hour or so and have a walk around. Helps with the achy legs. Can't sleep no matter what but I found listening to my fav music helped me zone out. And focusing on the fantastic holiday I was about to have/or have had.
Scotland
593 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Perhaps I'm unusual, but I look forward to the long flights, as long as it is not in economy! Sitting in a nice comfy seat, catching up on films I've missed, with wine and food served at regular intervals - what's not to like? Give me 9 hours of that to the Caribbean compared to 4 hours stuffed into easyJet to the Canaries any day!
I wish I was like that but I can't sit for all that time, I just get stir crazy and claustrophobic.

I agree re Easyjet but it's better with an operator that offers extra space seats etc.
Cork
925 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I love Caribbean cruises I've done 5 so far. What we do is fly out economy and fly home business class (you don't have to fly same class both ways)

Economy seats are compact, but you are flying during the day so not too bad. You have movies & TV shows to watch. Dinner and a snack to eat and a drink service.

We also love Miami so depending how many days off I have we will spend a couple of days each side of the cruise in South Beach.

Flying to Miami, there is not much jet lag but is coming home.

That's why I recommend business class. The seats convert in to a bed so you are lying flat, even if you can get 2 or 3 hours sleep stretched out it helps.

This time we are going to do a B2B which will have a quick turn around. I also recommend at least arriving the day before your cruise. A lot of the hotels at Miami airport offer free shuttles from airport and to the Port of Miami

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02-07-2015 Norwegian Getaway
10-04-2014 Norwegian Jade
08-10-2013 Crown Princess
Bedfordshire
111 Posts
Joined Oct 2012

I could have typed this - I can even hack economy when I know what's coming next !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cork
925 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I too love the flight, I take my holiday starting the moment I'm through security.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02-07-2015 Norwegian Getaway
10-04-2014 Norwegian Jade
08-10-2013 Crown Princess
Nottingham
206 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Think it's all been said but my 2pennorth, I wouldn't go for a week, 2 week or more is fine. I tend to read, watch a film, listen to music unusually talk to the wife. Going out is a doddle no real jet lag, cat nap if you can. Only problem we have is waking up at 3am in Barbados or wherever and creeping about trying not to disturb others. Coming home is a different story, if you get a Dreamliner it's much better the air and lighting help you with the lag. I don't sleep well on planes but usually manage a nap here and there, wife sleeps. You can get up and walkabout on the big planes which helps. For me worth it for a fortnight. Get an Eastbound reposition if you can but they do tend to be March time.
Kev
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UK
135 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Here are my thoughts for what they are worth. Caribbean should be two weeks and not one week. If I only had a one week holiday I would not fly so far.

We fly out of Gatwick and do a hotel park and stay package. We stay at the Sofitel the night before the flight. I park the car directly outside the hotel, take the luggage in to the hotel with my wife, check-in, put our luggage into the room, then I park the car in the hotel's car park and walk back into the hotel. We get a club room which provides lounge access giving a comfortable lounge environment with unlimited drinks and nibbles. We eat in one of the hotel's restaurants that evening. In the morning we have a quick continental breakfast in the club lounge then check out and head to the airport.

The flight itself I actually enjoy. I load up my phone with films/programmes to watch and also watch whatever I fancy in the in-flight entertainment. The fact that all on board are on the same cruise (assuming it is a P&O charter) gives the flight a different feel to a normal flight.

The transfer to the ship is generally as good as it can be. No need to wait at the carousel looking for the luggage as it is taken directly to the cabin.

The transfer back to the airport is equally as good as it can be. The flight back is definitely not as good as the flight out. Arriving back in the UK in the early morning is a shock to the system. Luckily I have only a one hour car journey home. If the journey were any longer, I would definitely plan to take a coffee break or even consider checking in to a Travel Inn or similar for a 3 to 4 hour sleep.

The answer to the question of is it worth it - yes it is. The Caribbean is wonderful and cruising in the Caribbean is a great way to experience it.
United Kingdom
449 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
We did the outbound transatlantic last November and were totally destroyed by the flight back; when we arrived in Manchester there were no trains from the airport and we were only offered a 3 hour bus journey half way home, by a nasty official who laughed in our faces.
I would NEVER do this again. I didn't even like the Caribbean that much; the heat was fine but the humidity was dreadful.
If I were to return it would only be by sailing out and back.
Lancashire
2,856 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
For one thing, don't drive home. Get a bed at the airport, or get a taxi home.

For another, an eight hour flight doesn't take four times as long, door to door, as a two hour flight. If your two hour flight takes nine hours then your eight hour flight takes 15 hours - not even twice as long.

Finally, if you really struggle to cope with red traffic lights then don't fly. A six hour delay could drive you right round the twist.

I read for 8 hours on a transatlantic, day or night. I can't get any sort of relaxing sleep with the noise and vibration of the engines. Plenty of time for sleep when I get there. I don't think planes are any less comfortable than trains, and 8 hour train journeys aren't thought of as exceptional.
36 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The Thomson dreamliner is just about doable for long haul economy. We've done it numerous times to Mexico and Mauritius, decent leg room etc.

I've no idea who P&O use to the Caribbean but obviously it wont be them. That aside the end result is usually worth the pain but premier economy prices are ridiculous across the board. The flight home is pretty grim on most airlines.
Bedfordshire
111 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by doog442
The Thomson dreamliner is just about doable for long haul economy. We've done it numerous times to Mexico and Mauritius, decent leg room etc.

I've no idea who P&O use to the Caribbean but obviously it wont be them. That aside the end result is usually worth the pain but premier economy prices are ridiculous across the board. The flight home is pretty grim on most airlines.

Just watching flights from hell on channel 4 - seems to fit this topic !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Taunton
487 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by doog442

P&O do use the Dreamliner, amongst others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

36 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Somerset Cruiser
P&O do use the Dreamliner, amongst others.

Cheers, In that case I wouldn't hesitate as its comfortable enough in its basic form.
760 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Not sure what the deal is about the 787. 14 hours upstairs on the A380 is much more comfortable than 9 hours on the 787.
Bournemouth
275 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
For me I love flying, even in economy as I just enjoy having nothing to do but watch films, have a few wines, eat a few meals and just relax. I usually stay up all night as I hate to miss any of the flight - apart from the one time we used our airmiles and upgraded to Premium, the seats were so comfortable that I actually fell asleep within an hour and missed the whole flight, I was absolutely gutted! I do hate the arriving back in the early hours of the morning and the worse thing is the disgusting breakfast they serve but it is worth it. We drove to Cornwall one summer, took us 9 hours to drive there with two young children, no air conditioning and not enough toilets on route - give me a long haul flight anytime over that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

16 December 2016 - Oriana - Southamptom to Bruges
10 September 2016 - Ventura - Southampton to Bruges
19 March 2016 - Azura - Barbados to Southampton
1 November 2015 Celebrity Eclipse - Southamton to Miami
10 October 2015 - Ventura - Bruges
2 June 2015 - Aurora
10 April 2015 - Ventura
4 April 2014 - Azura
29 June 2013 - Ventura
16 April 2013 - Azura
17 Oct 2012 - Queen Victoria
Kent, England
6,104 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I have flown to the Caribbean and on the flight out after 4 hours I had had enough!. the night flight back was better as it was half empty and I had 3 seats to lie on. The next time I cruised transatlantic both ways. I also flew to Sidney and back from Singapore for a cruise segment on Aurora so tolerated the flights. The cruise was poor but that is another story. Four hours to Greece or the Canaries is about my limit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
Lincolnshire
33 Posts
Joined May 2014
Thanks all, the general consensus is it's not worth it, given the sort that I am. Irony is I can afford it now.
Just seen a fred Olsen video on you tube of people having fun and folk saying the staff remember your name. That's not going to happen either. I'm not good with social skills. Hate forced fun.
Fixed dinning, we asked to be moved every night, realised at the end that it's me,not others
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Britannia 9 Oct 2016
Queen Victoria May 2016
Ventura 2014
Oriana 2006 & 2008
Oceana 2006
760 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by yesididit
Thanks all, the general consensus is it's not worth it, given the sort that I am. Irony is I can afford it now.
Just seen a fred Olsen video on you tube of people having fun and folk saying the staff remember your name. That's not going to happen either. I'm not good with social skills. Hate forced fun.
Fixed dinning, we asked to be moved every night, realised at the end that it's me,not others
Not sure where you got the feeling about the general consensus being that long haul flights are not worth it. For only one week, no, for more than one week, yes.
And I have no idea what Fred Olsen has to do with a question about long haul flights! And as for fixed dining - sorry, totally lost me!