UK cruises, new gratuities

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:47 PM.
Wherever there is water, a boat and the wind!
1,163 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by PrincessLuver
People have a right on Princess to tip or not... it's a choice and it is what it is.... I am sure your name calling will not change anything!
Well, If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ...... Nope, no name calling. Just facts. People who take advantage of that policy for their own benefit at the expense of the people who work hard to take care of them know exactly what they are - selfish.
up north
116 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by sloopsailor
Well, If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ...... Nope, no name calling. Just facts. People who take advantage of that policy for their own benefit at the expense of the people who work hard to take care of them know exactly what they are - selfish.


pay ALL staff properly, make the fare transparent (no smoke & mirrors), allow reward for excellence.
1,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Thrak
Yes. It's probably to make up for the cruises where folks from the UK remove the tips. Things like that cause disparities among the crew of various ships so the gratuities get shared to help even things out for the crew. If everybody just looked at the gratuities as part of the cost of the cruise then this wouldn't be necessary.
Sorry why keep naming UK cruisers?? JME - they are not alone.

US cruisers also remove gratuities. I know I have met them 4 adults 40 day cruise sharing an inside cabin and removed gratuities - Californians btw.

Just the way I do business, if I leave a gratuity/service charge on a ship, I expect it to be paid to the crew of that ship - no-one else. When I leave a gratuity at a Jamie Oliver restaurant in London, I don't expect the amount to be pooled and paid to some of the staff in Cardiff.

Transparency is key here.

Annie
essex uk and calabria italy
657 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by anniegb
Last year I spent time in the Far East where it is standard practice that all hotel rates are quoted £X ++. The ++ represented local taxes and normally 10% service charge.

Maybe the time has come to incorporate 10% service charge into the fares.

Annie
In India,they have aircon tax,even when we ate alfresco they charged it ,lol.
1,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by AE_Collector
I don't see why not. I would imagine it to be a Princess fleet wide pool where everything goes in and out of. It isn't as though crew all board a specific ship for a specific time frame where all gratuities from that ship can be divided up amoungst them. Crew are constantly starting contracts, ending contracts and even moving from one ship to another. The only logical way to administer it in my mind would be fleet wide.

Why does it matter if part of your gratuity money winds up going to crew on another Princess ship as long as some of that ships gratuity money goes to your cabin steward?

AE_Collector
It is not logical to administer the gratuity pool fleet wide - way too complicated. From my experience it complicates the administration of payroll.

Annie
Western Australia
333 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by anniegb
It is not logical to administer the gratuity pool fleet wide - way too complicated. From my experience it complicates the administration of payroll.

Annie
It's not complicated, its what's done in many countries of the world. Include the cost of service into the price of the product, and increase the wages of service staff accordingly. So in UK waters, and Australian/NZ waters, they get a higher daily rate that includes gratuities Perhaps they would prefer that, I would much prefer to know exactly how much I was 'talking home' each week/month rather than relying on the wims or generousity of others. Most payroll IT systems can handle that, they would have the ability to set more than one rate per scale.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop.
1,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by reedy8
It's not complicated, its what's done in many countries of the world. Include the cost of service into the price of the product, and increase the wages of service staff accordingly. So in UK waters, and Australian/NZ waters, they get a higher daily rate that includes gratuities Perhaps they would prefer that, I would much prefer to know exactly how much I was 'talking home' each week/month rather than relying on the wims or generousity of others. Most payroll IT systems can handle that, they would have the ability to set more than one rate per scale.
Part of my working life was spent in developing international payroll and taxation systems for mariners.

Do you know for a fact, there is an uplift in pay scales when operating in certain geographical sectors?? Pay scales do vary according to class of ship and seniority. I worked with over 100 different pay scales and our system coped easily.

Most mariners salaries are not annualized.

So Princess could be asking some employees to 'sacrifice' some earnings in order to top up the earnings of colleagues on another ship?? Well mariners have changed.

Annie

PS All above is irrelevant to the guest. Princess are asking guests for a service charge for ship x and may be using it to reward employees in establishment y. When I tip on a ship, I expect the gratuity to stay on the ship - just the way I do business. I will still leave my auto-gratuities on and prepay them - makes my cruise bill smaller.
UK
2,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by anniegb
Part of my working life was spent in developing international payroll and taxation systems for mariners.

Do you know for a fact, there is an uplift in pay scales when operating in certain geographical sectors?? Pay scales do vary according to class of ship and seniority. I worked with over 100 different pay scales and our system coped easily.

Most mariners salaries are not annualized.

So Princess could be asking some employees to 'sacrifice' some earnings in order to top up the earnings of colleagues on another ship?? Well mariners have changed.

Annie

PS All above is irrelevant to the guest. Princess are asking guests for a service charge for ship x and may be using it to reward employees in establishment y. When I tip on a ship, I expect the gratuity to stay on the ship - just the way I do business. I will still leave my auto-gratuities on and prepay them - makes my cruise bill smaller.

Your tip is pooled fleetwide
Wherever there is water, a boat and the wind!
1,163 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Britcruzer15
pay ALL staff properly, make the fare transparent (no smoke & mirrors), allow reward for excellence.
The staff is paid properly IF all passengers pay the gratuities. It is the ones who keep that money for themselves that affect their income, not the cruise line. This is the way it works on most cruise lines. If you don't want to do your share, then be a decent person and just stay off those ships. If you willingly remove the gratuities for your own benefit, you are the problem, not the solution. Besides, if the gratuities were included in the fare the total you would be paying will remain the same as when you pay the gratuities separately. So why all the bitching, moaning and groaning? None of you complainers ever bitch about the port fees and taxes you have to pay, which are also not part of the base fare.

No smoke and mirrors here - unless it is from you to rationalize your own excuses for stiffing the crew.
5,198 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
I certainly hope that those who believe the cruise line should do away with the Hotel Service Charge and pay an adequate wage so inform their waitstaff and room stewards, on the first night, that they are withholding their Hotel Service Charges as a sign of their solidarity with the crew and as a protest message to the cruise line. I would also hope that those who do so return to the thread after the crew and relate just how grateful the crew was for their support.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
rktctysooner at gmail dot com
San Jose, Calif
1,769 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by RocketMan275
I certainly hope that those who believe the cruise line should do away with the Hotel Service Charge and pay an adequate wage so inform their waitstaff and room stewards, on the first night, that they are withholding their Hotel Service Charges as a sign of their solidarity with the crew and as a protest message to the cruise line. I would also hope that those who do so return to the thread after the crew and relate just how grateful the crew was for their support.
LOL!!!!
up north
116 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by sloopsailor
The staff is paid properly IF all passengers pay the gratuities. It is the ones who keep that money for themselves that affect their income, not the cruise line. This is the way it works on most cruise lines. If you don't want to do your share, then be a decent person and just stay off those ships. If you willingly remove the gratuities for your own benefit, you are the problem, not the solution. Besides, if the gratuities were included in the fare the total you would be paying will remain the same as when you pay the gratuities separately. So why all the bitching, moaning and groaning? None of you complainers ever bitch about the port fees and taxes you have to pay, which are also not part of the base fare.

No smoke and mirrors here - unless it is from you to rationalize your own excuses for stiffing the crew.
all other costs are included in the the cruise fare, why not this one, just make it mandatory and not call it something it is not.
COLORADO
58,884 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Britcruzer15
pay ALL staff properly, make the fare transparent (no smoke & mirrors), allow reward for excellence.
Originally posted by Britcruzer15
all other costs are included in the the cruise fare, why not this one, just make it mandatory and not call it something it is not.

That's great but currently IT IS NOT, so until it is changed why screw the crew?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises



USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

up north
116 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by RocketMan275
I certainly hope that those who believe the cruise line should do away with the Hotel Service Charge and pay an adequate wage so inform their waitstaff and room stewards, on the first night, that they are withholding their Hotel Service Charges as a sign of their solidarity with the crew and as a protest message to the cruise line. I would also hope that those who do so return to the thread after the crew and relate just how grateful the crew was for their support.
I spoke to both the front desk staff and the CSM about this during the cruise. and made my position clear.

I also spoke to my steward and various other front line staff who all told me about how working on the ship allowed them a much better standard of living than if they stayed at home.
COLORADO
58,884 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by anniegb
Sorry why keep naming UK cruisers??

Maybe because they are the ones that openly brag about it here on CC?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises



USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

1,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
Maybe because they are the ones that openly brag about it here on CC?
Could they be winding you all up?

What about the tip removers who never confess?

Annie

PS we know that cc forum members are only a small percentage of cruisers.
England
1,871 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
Don't Australians pay significantly more for cruise fare?
They do, i suspect because the gratuity is built into the fare, in the same way as non package drinks are advertised and charged at a price that includes a gratuity, not XX dollars +18% gratuity as in the US and other places.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailing through life, slowly seeing the world, with each day a new adventure before I finally achieve nirvana.........
up north
116 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
That's great but currently IT IS NOT, so until it is changed why screw the crew?
Do you think it will ever change?, it will need to as in Europe and elsewhere whilst tipping is present in the UK it is not normal especially at the level on Princess and other lines.

So it needs to state that we will be charged an amount per day to top up the wages of the staff who are underpaid by their employer, regardless of the quality of service provided. that is not a gratuity/tip, never has been never will be
COLORADO
58,884 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by anniegb
Could they be winding you all up?

What about the tip removers who never confess?

Annie

You can spin it and deflect anyway you want.
It's plain wrong. Punishing the crew is not the way to deal with it.
If one can't afford or does not want to pay it then don't cruise or find a different cruise line......it's really that simple.
The crew work their tails off and don't deserve to be cheated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises



USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32