Tipping

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:18 AM.
1,199 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Host Sharon
Of course the different Carnival brands have different rules. Costa for example are bringing in a zero alcohol policy for officers but not (yet) on Cunard or P& O
I am not sure why you are so keen on trying to dismiss this evidence from a Carnival brand.

Again you raise something that relates to the marketing of the cruise to customers (Costa don't let you take alcohol on, but do offer alcoholic drinks packages).

Crew conditions and remuneration is completely different and is a corporate not a brand issue.

I notice you don't disagree (or at least raise any arguments) that it would be illogical if the stewards/waiters did not hand in cash tips when the service charge is not paid.
essex uk and calabria italy
653 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Sharon was talking about Costa trying to stop drunken captains entertaining their concubines from hitting the rocks.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,313 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by insanemagnet
I am not sure why you are so keen on trying to dismiss this evidence from a Carnival brand.

Again you raise something that relates to the marketing of the cruise to customers (Costa don't let you take alcohol on, but do offer alcoholic drinks packages).

Crew conditions and remuneration is completely different and is a corporate not a brand issue.

I notice you don't disagree (or at least raise any arguments) that it would be illogical if the stewards/waiters did not hand in cash tips when the service charge is not paid.

Clearly you have failed to understand the point being made. Which of course is not unusual.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625

To Come

Crown Princess 17
Britannia 17
Britannia 17
Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Valencia, Spain
1,117 Posts
Joined Jul 2012

There is no need to raise any arguments as there is absolutely no evidence that they hand in cash tips.
6,313 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by dgs1956
There is no need to raise any arguments as there is absolutely no evidence that they hand in cash tips.

I don't think you are allowed to bring evidence and reality to the conversation.

. .

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Oceana E625

To Come

Crown Princess 17
Britannia 17
Britannia 17
Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Valencia, Spain
1,117 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by daiB
I don't think you are allowed to bring evidence and reality to the conversation.

. .

At least it hasn't degenerated into offensive remarks against anyone who "loves" P&O.
Cambridgeshire
2,371 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by brian1
Sharon was talking about Costa trying to stop drunken captains entertaining their concubines from hitting the rocks.
Yes, you have to take things in perspective. It has been alleged that a certain number of extra people might have been on board. If this was true, certainly a questionable decision. Whether the crew would drink on duty is another issue where bad decisions might have been made. Costa Concordia sunk in 2012 with a cost in lives of 32 according to figures I have. Cunard have not had a ship sink since 1982 with a cost of 12 lives.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess
1,199 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by dgs1956
I have provided evidence they do for at least one Carnival brand, and you haven't provided any evidence they don't have to do the same for the other Carnival brands including P&O.
6,313 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
I have provided evidence they do for at least one Carnival brand, and you haven't provided any evidence they don't have to do the same for the other Carnival brands including P&O.

And you have no evidence at all that each separate company has the same working conditions.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Oceana E625

To Come

Crown Princess 17
Britannia 17
Britannia 17
Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
109 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Despite your attempt to bad-mouth the source it's known that Cunard staff don't have to hand in cash tips so your assertion is at best unproven.
1,199 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by kentchris
Despite your attempt to bad-mouth the source it's known that Cunard staff don't have to hand in cash tips so your assertion is at best unproven.
I prefer documents to 'freind of a friend' stories that tell you what you want to hear.
England
661 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
OK folks. Here's the truth. Because none of us seem to know for certain, prompted by this thread I emailed P&O customer services last week about this precise issue and have now received a reply.

I asked the following;

"My wife and I are regular cruisers with P&O (3 cruises this year) and we pay the automatic service charge, now £6 per passenger per day.

We also like to give our Cabin Steward an additional tip, but I have been told by other passengers that they are required to hand them in to P&O for the general 'pool'.

I understand that this might be the case if tips are given by passengers who have cancelled the auto service charge, but could you please answer my specific question i.e. are staff obliged to hand in additional tips given by passengers who have paid the automatic service charge? "

And this is the response I have received;

"Firstly I would like to thank you for your loyalty with us and I hope we can keep on exceeding expectations with our cruises.

In regards to tipping under no circumstances are staff obliged to hand in their tips. We understand that some staff are more guest facing than others so that is why we set up the Service Charge scheme so that the staff 'behind the scenes' still get appreciated too. However staff that do have a guest facing role and who make the impact on our cruises would never be penalised for earning more tips, they work hard and I think you will agree with me that they deserve them.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon."

Now admittedly, my specific question was regarding tips received over and above the auto service charge, but the reply does say that staff are not required to hand in tips under any circumstances.

So it can't be any clearer than that.

Obviously, whether to pay the auto service charge or not is a matter of individual choice for as long as P&O chooses to have a discretionary system, but hopefully this now clears up the issue regarding staff having to hand in tips. They don't!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 5 cruises (2017 - Aurora, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
3,435 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
OK folks. Here's the truth. Because none of us seem to know for certain, prompted by this thread I emailed P&O customer services last week about this precise issue and have now received a reply.

I asked the following;

"My wife and I are regular cruisers with P&O (3 cruises this year) and we pay the automatic service charge, now £6 per passenger per day.

We also like to give our Cabin Steward an additional tip, but I have been told by other passengers that they are required to hand them in to P&O for the general 'pool'.

I understand that this might be the case if tips are given by passengers who have cancelled the auto service charge, but could you please answer my specific question i.e. are staff obliged to hand in additional tips given by passengers who have paid the automatic service charge? "

"Firstly I would like to thank you for your loyalty with us and I hope we can keep on exceeding expectations with our cruises.

In regards to tipping under no circumstances are staff obliged to hand in their tips. We understand that some staff are more guest facing than others so that is why we set up the Service Charge scheme so that the staff 'behind the scenes' still get appreciated too. However staff that do have a guest facing role and who make the impact on our cruises would never be penalised for earning more tips, they work hard and I think you will agree with me that they deserve them.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon."

Now admittedly, my specific question was regarding tips received over and above the auto service charge, but the reply does say that staff are not required to hand in tips under any circumstances.

Obviously, whether to pay the auto service charge or not is a matter of individual choice for as long as P&O chooses to have a discretionary system, but hopefully this now clears up the issue regarding staff having to hand in tips. They don't!
Thank you for taking the time and effort and subsequently informing us all regarding the tips.
We always autopay and give extra and it is pleasing that the crew who serve us well are not penalised.
Your post is the reason i read and post myself.
Thank You.
Graham &Pauline.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
Staffordshire
1,811 Posts
Joined Sep 2010

I asked the following;

Clear as mud then because in the past P&O have said that only butlers, cabin stewards and waiters/assistant waiters are rewarded from the Service Reward Scheme but now they are saying "backroom staff" are now receiving payment from Service Reward Scheme. So that has cleared nothing up as usual and a "muddy waters" response from P&O once again. If you sent the same e-mail again and you received a response from different member of staff you would probably get a different response.
1,199 Posts
Joined Jun 2014

I asked the following;

So logically everyone who thinks their steward or waiter has done a good job should remove all of the service charge and give the whole of that amount in cash to the steward and waiters.

That way the steward and waiters not only will you be certain they get the cash tip, but they will get double pay as they will still receive their share from the tip pool.

They will be over the moon.
3,435 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by majortom10
Clear as mud then because in the past P&O have said that only butlers, cabin stewards and waiters/assistant waiters are rewarded from the Service Reward Scheme but now they are saying "backroom staff" are now receiving payment from Service Reward Scheme. So that has cleared nothing up as usual and a "muddy waters" response from P&O once again. If you sent the same e-mail again and you received a response from different member of staff you would probably get a different response.
Seems clear to me.
Do the right thing and prepay the tips and if anyone gives you exceptional service you can give them a cash tip and know they can keep it for themselves.

Valencia, Spain
1,117 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by grapau27
Seems clear to me.
Do the right thing and prepay the tips and if anyone gives you exceptional service you can give them a cash tip and know they can keep it for themselves.

Absolutely clear to me as well but there again we don't fall into the trouble making or moaner categories.