Disappointment at St Peter Port.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:51 PM.
Scotland
594 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by the english lady
Having used a tender when the seas were not being that helpful (cant remember where it was now) I would never complain if they decided conditions were such that they were not going to run tenders ashore.
Smooth going out, but wind/swell was getting up when we came back. Took quite a few attempts to get the tender tied up safely.
To all who complain maybe let them do an iffy transfer, and see if they are happy to repeat it. A lot lot different being on a large ship than a small tender.
To those who say cant we go to another port..24 hours notice to see if there is space to dock somewhere...try and arrange tours....arrange shuttle buses....for a couple of thousand people. easy peasy ??
Yes it is easy peasy, other lines manage it perfectly well (a bit like they manage embarkation better IMO)

It's particulalrly easy to arrange contingency when it happens virtually ever other cruise so you are well aware in advance that you need alternatives.

They don't need to offer tours, I am sure pax would be perfectly happy with just not being stuck with an extra day at sea with repeat entertainment. Oh but I forgot that would eat into their profit whereas leaving people on a ship adds to them.
Surrey
175 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Who are these other lines that have alternative arrangements if they cannot get in a certain port.
Just done a quick trawl through the other boards and found the same comments about missed ports as on here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
brillo
sailed on,
2005 Ocean Village Caribbean
2006 Ocean Village Caribbean
2007 Ocean Village 2 Mediterranean
2008 Ocean Village Caribbean
2008 Ocean Village Mediterranean
2009 PO Ventura Mediterranean
2009 Emerald Princess Caribbean
2014 PO Ventura Caribbean
2014 PO Adonia Norway
2015 PO Ventura Caribbean
2015 PO Azura Mediterranean
2016 PO Adonia Caribbean and Amazon
2016 PO Britannia Norway
2016 PO Britannia Christmas Caribbean
3,459 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by brillo
Who are these other lines that have alternative arrangements if they cannot get in a certain port.
Just done a quick trawl through the other boards and found the same comments about missed ports as on here.
In April Independence of the seas couldn't go to Le Havre because of a strike so they took us to Rotterdam.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
Scotland
594 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Missed port Gibralter - alternative Malaga (Thomson) weather related

Missed port San Sebastián - alternative Santa Cruz (Thomson) weather related

Missed port La Rochelle - alternative port of Le Verdon for Soulac Sur Mer (Celebrity) port workers strike

We have had missed ports with these companies as well, I am not saying that they always provide an alternative if it happens on the day but they can when they know the day before that there is an issue.

The point I am making is that in the case of Guersey P&O must know that it happens virtually every other cruise so they should have plenty of time to plan ahead. I am sure that there must be some of the less popular ports of call that would love to have thousands of extra people spending in their shops and restaurants etc and boosting the local economy.

Just out of interest does anyone know, are there any ports on the South coast of England that could either berth of provide tender facilities for ships as large as the P&O fleet?
England
663 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by insanemagnet
Perhaps they ought to have announced that they were going to do the 'step over the gap' test properly for once, and anyone that genuinely passed could go ashore.
Could you clarify what you mean by this comment? We have always found P&O staff to be scrupulous about the gap test. So much so that my wife has sadly given up on any chance of disembarking in a tender port, which is a great shame as we are doing a USA / Cananda cruise next year and she really wanted to see all the locations but won't be able to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 5 cruises (2017 - Aurora, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
bucks
618 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Selbourne
Could you clarify what you mean by this comment? We have always found P&O staff to be scrupulous about the gap test. So much so that my wife has sadly given up on any chance of disembarking in a tender port, which is a great shame as we are doing a USA / Cananda cruise next year and she really wanted to see all the locations but won't be able to.
Interestingly on our July cruise on Adonia I (stupidly) did not read the newspaper correctly and thought we got our tender tickets in the Curzon lounge. Went in there - did the gap test - and then discovered that was the meeting place for excursions and passengers exploring on their own had to go to Andersons
Went to Andersons and queued up to get our tickets - but no gap test in there. I asked the entertainemnt officer supervising and she said we didn't have to do it
So complete hit or miss!
UK
2,133 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Just booked the mini cruise to St Peter Port next week and hoping we manage to get there. I have been successful three out of four times in the past.

Don't cruise P&O much now so I am completely puzzled by the term "gap test"?

Are you saying there is some kind of test to see if pax can step into a tender? It won't affect us but it may affect my mother on future cruises. She is mobile but a bit unsteady, with poor vision and just needs to take her time getting in and out of a tender. She was thinking of booking a Fjords cruise with her three friends who are all getting on a bit but fairly healthy for their ages.

Should she be worried about this gap test as there are quite a few tender ports on the Fjords cruise she is hoping to book.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

England
663 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Lottie A
Just booked the mini cruise to St Peter Port next week and hoping we manage to get there. I have been successful three out of four times in the past.

Don't cruise P&O much now so I am completely puzzled by the term "gap test"?

Are you saying there is some kind of test to see if pax can step into a tender? It won't affect us but it may affect my mother on future cruises. She is mobile but a bit unsteady, with poor vision and just needs to take her time getting in and out of a tender. She was thinking of booking a Fjords cruise with her three friends who are all getting on a bit but fairly healthy for their ages.

Should she be worried about this gap test as there are quite a few tender ports on the Fjords cruise she is hoping to book.
Passengers using a tender have to be able to step across a gap of 18 inches unaided and in a reasonable time. Usually the actual gap between tender and ship is far less than that, but the challenge for those with mobility issues is that the tenders can go up and and down by a foot or more, even when moored against the ship. Understandably, P&O have passenger safety foremost in their mind, so those passengers who have declared a mobility issue prior to booking will be requested to attend a tender briefing on those cruises, only where there are tender ports on the cruise (usually the first sea day) and, at the end of this, everyone is asked to step, unaided, over a mat marked with two lines 18 inches apart. If successful, they tick off your name. If not, they will advise that you may not be able to disembark by tender, but the decision will rest with the deck officer. They have the mat present at the tender dock for those who did not attend the briefing or where it may be in question. If you do not wish to disembark by tender, you do not need to attend the briefing or perform the test. If your mother has not declared a mobility issue, she won't need to go through this and, as long as she can safely board the tender she will have no issue. Ironically, although the test necessitates having to board unaided, P&O staff are always present and assist!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 5 cruises (2017 - Aurora, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
Cambridgeshire
160 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
On Adonia in July,the gap test, stepping over to lines 18 inch apart was being used at the departure lounge before boarding, and the also in the designated tender lounge before getting to the tender.

On Adonia there are also 9 steps to negotiate to get to the tender.

If unsure practise at home, make up a cardboard box 18 inch wide but very shallow in depth,and train to step over it.

It helps to bend the push off knee.
Cambridgeshire
2,383 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Certainly Princess ran their two nighter last year with a reserve port in mind. They are a lot more expensive than P&O on the weekend at Guernsey. They have run longer at Guernsey leaving later in the day giving opportunities to go to Sark etc. with the line. P&O seem to leave earlier. We went on to Le Havre one year after Caribbean Princess failed to tender, think that was on a British Isles circumnavigation. . They also make a point of launching a tender with crew on and the captain comments on it. At this point one or two passengers on board were agreeing with the "It's too rough" opinion expressed watching the boat bobbing up and down. . This year Princess have scheduled it as a three nighter with Cherbourg following day. It seem prudent to add a night and a second port as well as having a reserve port anyway. Incidently the 2018 Princess Guernsey weekender is going down in price and looks comparable to P&O bearing in mind an extra day/port.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess
UK
2,133 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Thank you Selbourne and Mercury for that info. Never known it on any other cruise line or indeed P&O before. My mother cruises with P&O often and me very rarely. I much prefer Azamara and Silversea!

She shouldn't have much trouble stepping across a gap of 18 inches as long as they allow her time. Actually it's her vision that causes her the most problems. She has macular degeneration. I will let her know that she can book her Fjords cruise with her friends when the price comes down a bit.

Now I just hope we make it into St Peter Port next Sunday.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Standish
229 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Presto2
Strange this morning Marine Traffic was showing Venturas ten ders going to and fro.... Shame for those on Oriana. Have to say,re comments re folk on Oriana. You can be elderly, a couple and infirm but you can still want to get off and explore.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app
Maybe if you had been on the cruise instead of sat at home on the PC you would have known they were testing the conditions and NOT taking passengers ashore.
We were on Ventura and got ashore in the afternoon, not sure why Oriana did not use Venturas tenders.
Stoke on Trent, England
4,854 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Well two to Tango .. I wasn't being confrontational just curious. I was just tracking the ship getting excited about our cruise.... and to be honest find your comment unnecessarily sharp .... perhaps you have post cruise blues ????

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Standish
229 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Well two to Tango .. I wasn't being confrontational just curious. I was just tracking the ship getting excited about our cruise.... and to be honest find your comment unnecessarily sharp .... perhaps you have post cruise blues ????

Yes am a bit upset with P&O (see my post on balcony smoking). sorry no blues but if you had been sat on the ship all morning looking over what seemed to be a very calm port with tenders bobbing about you would feel a bit tetchy about someone "presuming" . The local ferry was going back and forth with no problems even though it was smaller than the tenders. I understand they must put safety first but they always seem to over react when in channel ports.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,324 Posts
Joined Nov 2006

I have to say that most other times we have had problems with tendering P&O have found another port. Toulon instead of Cannes and Ajaccio instead of Monaco. We missed La Coruna once and headed straight for Tenerife and had an over night. I think the problem with St Peter Port is to do with the duty free situation. They want to give every opportunity to get into the port as if they don't then people cannot have their duty free purchases. I suspect that once we leave the EU Guernsey may miss out on cruise ship calls.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625

To Come

Crown Princess 17
Britannia 17
Britannia 17
Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
3,459 Posts
Joined Dec 2016

I agree, almost everyone who posts on cc will not be on a ship at the time they are posting.

3,459 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Two 2 Tango
Yes am a bit upset with P&O (see my post on balcony smoking). sorry no blues but if you had been sat on the ship all morning looking over what seemed to be a very calm port with tenders bobbing about you would feel a bit tetchy about someone "presuming" . The local ferry was going back and forth with no problems even though it was smaller than the tenders. I understand they must put safety first but they always seem to over react when in channel ports.
Sometimes its only when you are getting on or off the tender from the ship that you realise the safety issue.
We have been on a tender when it was moving up and down several feet and people were getting off 1 at a time.

3,459 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by daiB
I have to say that most other times we have had problems with tendering P&O have found another port. Toulon instead of Cannes and Ajaccio instead of Monaco. We missed La Coruna once and headed straight for Tenerife and had an over night. I think the problem with St Peter Port is to do with the duty free situation. They want to give every opportunity to get into the port as if they don't then people cannot have their duty free purchases. I suspect that once we leave the EU Guernsey may miss out on cruise ship calls.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Very good point.

Surrey, UK
1,399 Posts
Joined May 2006

Either that or no manners
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette
Thomson (3): Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess
RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland and America (1): Eurodam
Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt
Dolphin Cruises (1): Island Breeze
Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird