UK cruises, new gratuities

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:33 AM.
Manchester UK
210 Posts
Joined May 2007
It is now getting completely out of hand. The public sector in the UK have had their pay frozen now for nigh on 5 years. This hike has raised the gratuity by 17% in one year . The whole arguments about gratuities are beginning to grate. This fee can no longer be classed as a gratuity or tip..........it is clearly to pay staff wages.
It is about time Princess came clean and gave a very clear breakdown of how much each crew member receives from the gratuities and also what would 'prevent' them for receiving the promised gratuity. My husband and I worked out the gratuities, (not including the 15% drinks gratuities which on top of hiked drinks prices is now making the cost of drinks prohibitive), paid by all passengers on a daily basis. We then divided that amount by the average number of crew who would be eligible to receive that gratuity and it worked out to be thousands upon thousands of dollars per year. I no longer beleive that Princess give all the 'gratuities' to its eligible crew and will find any little discrepancy to rob them of the promised gratuity. Pay the correct salary for hours worked and leave gratuities to be given by passengers for outstanding serivice as it should be.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand P 05, Star P 06, Emerald P 07, Ruby P 09, Grand P 10, Emerald P11, GrandP 11, Emerald P 12,Grand P 12, RubyP12, Sapphire P 13, Crown P 13, Ventura 13, Emerald P 14, Emerald P 14, Regal P 14, Caribbean P 15. Britannia 15, Emerald P 15, Emerald P 15, Emerald P 15, Britannia 15, Emerald P 16, Emerald P 16, Britannia 16 Azura 16, Yet to come: Emerald P 16, Oosterdam 16, Caribbean P 17, Caribbean P 17, Azura 17. Westerdam 17, Zuiderdam 18

'If I close my eyes I can hear the sound of the wake'
UK
2,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
If a room steward receive $5 per person a day from the share of the fixed gratuities and he services approx 17 cabins he is earning $170 a day tax free. That's approximate $46000 per 9 month contract. Just as a guide the average income in the Philippines is $2800 a year.
Coastal North Carolina
6,954 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I've really never participated in or paid much heed to conversations about gratuities, until now. There are some very well thought out posts on this thread. I agree that it is getting out of hand, regardless of where you live.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunsetbeachgal. Princess Elite Member, HAL *** Mariner
From the Sunny North Carolina Coast

Next: Scenic River Cruises Paris to Nice, Sept., 2017, British Isles, Royal Princess June, 2018

Completed: Regal Princess, Feb 2017, Oasis of the Seas, Nov., 2016, Regal Princess Repo. Oct. 2016, Scenic Cruises Rhine River, June, 2016, Coral Princess Carib., Jan, 2016, HAL Eurodam, N. Europe, June, 2015, Regal Princess Carib., Jan. 2015, HAL Prinsendam, No. Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Carib., Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Carib., May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Carib. Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Carib., Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Carib.- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Carib.-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Carib.-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Carib.-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Carib.-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Med.-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Carib.-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Carib.-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/N.E.-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating 35 years of cruising!
Kent, UK
1,836 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by sunsetbeachgal
I've really never participated in or paid much heed to conversations about gratuities, until now. There are some very well thought out posts on this thread. I agree that it is getting out of hand, regardless of where you live.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
I'm with you.

It just doesn't make sense if you compare P&O's Britannia to Royal Princess. Identical ships with crew and passenger numbers but Britannia's auto gratuity is half.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chandris Cruises - Fiorita 1970
P&O Cruises - Arcadia 2001
- Oceana 2003
- Oceana 2005
- Britannia 2015
Princess Cruises - Grand Princess 2006
- Emerald Princess 2007
- Emerald Princess 2008
- Emerald Princess 2010
- Island Princess 2012
- Emerald Princess 2014
- Royal Princess 2016
- Crown Princess 2017
Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2009
Celebrity Cruises - Constellation 2010
- Solstice 2011
- Reflection 2013
Leicestershire, UK
1,177 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Presumably there is nothing to stop people going to reception and adjusting the gratuity to the old rate?
It is getting out of hand, especially as British cruisers have also been hit with a huge drop in £ to $ exchange rates.
The gratuity rate should be honoured at the rate prevalent when the cruise was booked, i.e. when the contract was made.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
UK
2,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by SadieN
You're looking for an excuse not to tip.
You're hurting the wrong people. The gratuity staff have NOTHING to do with the fares. Want to hurt Princess, don't book a Princess cruise.

Cruise lines have all sorts of promotions. We never seem to qualify. On rare occasions we'll encounter a California resident one. Think I've seen two in 10 years for the cruises we want to book. The other promotions are rarely on cruises we want to sail. Last promotion we booked was about 3 years ago.
You are correct but I'm sure if gratuities went up to $21 a day per person the attitude may change on that side of the Atlantic
apple valley ca usa
2,872 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Originally posted by Glenndale
Presumably there is nothing to stop people going to reception and adjusting the gratuity to the old rate?
It is getting out of hand, especially as British cruisers have also been hit with a huge drop in £ to $ exchange rates.
The gratuity rate should be honoured at the rate prevalent when the cruise was booked, i.e. when the contract was made.
The drop of the pound is the fault of your government, not Princess. When people from the US visit the UK, things are much more expensive than at home due to your extremely high taxes on everything. But if you can't afford to pay, you can't afford to go. Take a cheaper vacation.
Erial, New Jersey
1,854 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by joeyancho
The drop of the pound is the fault of your government, not Princess. When people from the US visit the UK, things are much more expensive than at home due to your extremely high taxes on everything. But if you can't afford to pay, you can't afford to go. Take a cheaper vacation.
The vote to leave the European Union also contributed to the decline.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Doug

Crown Princess March 2017
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess November 2012
Caribbean Princess May 2010
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Caribbean Princess July 2006
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Leicestershire, UK
1,177 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I don't need a lesson in Economics from you, thank you.
Nor do I need advice on whom I should book with.
You are rather quick in making assumptions about my financial position, which is of no concern of yours.
You have made no effective contribution to the debate, so why did you bother posting?
The brochure for my upcoming cruise quoted a gratuity rate of $11.50, this was what I contracted to pay. Is that too difficult to understand?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,263 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Glenndale
I don't need a lesson in Economics from you, thank you.
Nor do I need advice on whom I should book with.
You are rather quick in making assumptions about my financial position, which is of no concern of yours.
You have made no effective contribution to the debate, so why did you bother posting?
The brochure for my upcoming cruise quoted a gratuity rate of $11.50, this was what I contracted to pay. Is that too difficult to understand?

Unless you prepaid gratuities, cruise lines reserve the right to increase gratuities. Never seen an immediate increase. When both Princess and Carnival have announced increases, they've given enough time for pax to prepay at the older, lower rate.

Economically speaking, the US has a transparent sales tax.
Blame goes to your fellow countrymen who voted for Brexit. That fiasco is causing panic and the plummeting of the pound.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UK
2,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
The tip fee has doubled since we booked the cruise, so something may have to give for some passengers who have already booked
22,263 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by antsp
The tip fee has doubled since we booked the cruise, so something may have to give for some passengers who have already booked

Isn't there an option to prepay the gratuities?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

5,404 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
When did you book, 1990?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
22,263 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
May, gone from £7 a day to £10.60

That just over 50% increase, not double.
Weren't you given the option of prepayment?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Victoria, BC
120 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
I don't think anyone should use the exchange rate as a reason to reduce tips. The exchange rate is just a fact of life when you are travelling to other countries. It's not just the poor Brits that have been impacted by a stronger US dollar. I'm Canadian, and when I took a cruise last year the $11.50 daily autotip was converted to Canadian dollars at a rate of 1.10, so it equaled $12.65 Canadian. The new rate of $13.50 US would now cost about $17.96 Canadian at the current exchange rate of about 1.33. That's a 42% increase to the price I pay in Canadian dollars, but I would never think of reducing my tips. The exchange rate is not Princess' fault, and it certainly isn't the crew's fault, and they shouldn't be penalized for it.
UK
2,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by SadieN
That just over 50% increase, not double.
Weren't you given the option of prepayment?
This is something I would never do
Los Angeles Ca.
4,966 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
With the weak pound and new raise in daily tips how do you feel about paying £21 a day in tips per couple.
I don't think the new rates are reasonable and will adjust them to $10 PP PD on my next cruise. They are only a suggestion and not mandatory so go to guest services and do what is right for you.
5,404 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
May, gone from £7 a day to £10.60
I can't even guess if the numbers you quote are correct.

But, 7 ==> 10.60 is not 'doubled', unless english math
is different than american math.

Or, is this a the billion/million thing?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App