UK cruises, new gratuities

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:30 AM.
Derbyshire, UK
564 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
The exchange rate situation is unfortunate. But it did mean I ended up booking with p&o rather than Princess this time.

If I were already booked I'd probably pre-pay my onboard account if the exchange rate was favourable. The gratuity amount going up at the same time is rather unfortunate timing, but as the Canadian poster says it's not just the UK which is suffering from the strong dollar.

The tempers on this tread have gotten a little out of hand. Remember the people that post on these boards are the new friends you make onboard. If you wouldn't get into a stand up argument with each other outside the Horizon Court, then please try not to do it on here

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Halifax
103 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I was on Emerald Princess ciuple of weeks ago and auto tip was $12.95 pppd, on top of that everytime you get a drink it was 15% extra added on top of 12.95 suggested amount.

I have booked another cruise for next year, like somone mentioned if I was to book identical cruise, cabin etc we would have got $900 obc plus other incentives but because I booked it in UK we get no incentive at all.

You should not be compelled to tip. I always take ours off Princess and P&O with no problems at all. Before you soot me down we always pay ours to whom we want to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
UK
605 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by joeyancho
The drop of the pound is the fault of your government, not Princess. When people from the US visit the UK, things are much more expensive than at home due to your extremely high taxes on everything. But if you can't afford to pay, you can't afford to go. Take a cheaper vacation.
Wait until the new President is elected and we may see more changes.
Newbury Park, CA
214 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
You could of course always contact Passenger Services and have your gratuity adjusted or ask to have it removed, but using the aftermath of the self-inflicted carnage that the Brexit vote is causing is a pretty poor excuse for not paying gratuities.

Living in the States, gratuities (aka tipping) are just a fact of life - doesn't help that here in So Cal the minimum wage won't buy you a shoe-box to live-in - but yes "When in Rome" etc... and Princess are a US company (figuratively speaking just up the road) even if there ships fly under a flag of convenience. Truthfully however, in the grand scheme of things, gratuities are a bit like adding the CDW to your rental car or the cost of travel insurance... the 15% surcharge on a drink is still cheaper than VAT.
Los Angeles Ca.
4,966 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by BritinSoCal
You could of course always contact Passenger Services and have your gratuity adjusted or ask to have it removed, but using the aftermath of the self-inflicted carnage that the Brexit vote is causing is a pretty poor excuse for not paying gratuities.

Living in the States, gratuities (aka tipping) are just a fact of life - doesn't help that here in So Cal the minimum wage won't buy you a shoe-box to live-in - but yes "When in Rome" etc... and Princess are a US company (figuratively speaking just up the road) even if there ships fly under a flag of convenience. Truthfully however, in the grand scheme of things, gratuities are a bit like adding the CDW to your rental car or the cost of travel insurance... the 15% surcharge on a drink is still cheaper than VAT.
What does living in the united states have to do with anything? Most crew are from countries that are very low income. Crew are very happy with cruise ship jobs which pay significantly more then could earn at home. Princess only offers their suggestion of what they would like to collect from passengers so they don't have to pay any crew related expenses. You are free to accept their suggestion or amend it or abandon it altogether.
Newbury Park, CA
214 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by cruzsnooze
What does living in the united states have to do with anything? Most crew are from countries that are very low income. Crew are very happy with cruise ship jobs which pay significantly more then could earn at home. Princess only offers their suggestion of what they would like to collect from passengers so they don't have to pay any crew related expenses. You are free to accept their suggestion or amend it or abandon it altogether.
See the bit where I said "Living in the States, gratuities (aka tipping) are just a fact of life" I'd wager that a the majority of Princess' passengers are from the US and so tips, just like the added sales tax are all part and parcel of living here as you know...

But even if hotel staff are potential paid well compared to "back home" (wherever "home" is), it's still not a huge amount and stiffing the staff just because of a poor exchange rate seems a lame excuse tbh (for the OP's benefit it's just not cricket)

But you're right. There's always the option of not paying gratuities or sail comfortably with P&O, safe in the knowledge that payment is in Sterling and the gratuities are less... all the while glossing over the fact that P&O got called out in the press a few years back for paying their staff 80p (or about $1) a day...
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,263 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Luvs2Crooze
I was on Emerald Princess ciuple of weeks ago and auto tip was $12.95 pppd, on top of that everytime you get a drink it was 15% extra added on top of 12.95 suggested amount.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The bar waiters etc who get the 15% DO NOT share in the auto grats.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,897 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by SadieN
The bar waiters etc who get the 15% DO NOT share in the auto grats.
I wouldn't be too sure about that, My understanding is that those charges also go into the pool.

One of the major reasons Princess and other cruise lines went to the pool concept is to eliminate issues based upon where one is working in the ship. Someone in the piano bar has a totally different sell rate then someone back in Fusion for example.
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,263 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by RDC1
I wouldn't be too sure about that, My understanding is that those charges also go into the pool.

One of the major reasons Princess and other cruise lines went to the pool concept is to eliminate issues based upon where one is working in the ship. Someone in the piano bar has a totally different sell rate then someone back in Fusion for example.

It's a pool of bar waiters, NOT the crew getting the auto grats. Different pools, different crew.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

90 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Much like it has already been posted by Cruzsnooze, the daily charge added to your on-board account, call it tips, gratuities or whatever you want to call it, is not mandatory.
So please, by all means, feel free to adjust it up or down.

Thanks,
Fred
League City, TX
39,536 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Glenndale
The gratuity rate should be honoured at the rate prevalent when the cruise was booked, i.e. when the contract was made.
Do not know about the UK, but in the USA when the new rate was announced, Princess said that anybody prepaying gratuities by a certain date could pay at the old rate.
Erial, New Jersey
1,854 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by caribill
Do not know about the UK, but in the USA when the new rate was announced, Princess said that anybody prepaying gratuities by a certain date could pay at the old rate.
When I saw that the gratuities were going up for our upcoming cruise, I immediately prepaid. I guess that makes me a minor league cheapskate compared to those who remove or reduce theirs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Doug

Crown Princess March 2017
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess November 2012
Caribbean Princess May 2010
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Caribbean Princess July 2006
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Los Angeles Ca.
4,966 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by caribill
There is no old or new rate, go to guest services and adjust your gratuity up or down as you see fit, it's all just a suggestion and not mandatory.
5,404 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by cruzsnooze
There is no old or new rate, go to guest services and adjust your gratuity up or down as you see fit, it's all just a suggestion and not mandatory.
I think I have the solution to anytime dining.
Swipe the passenger's card.
If they have not cancelled tips, seat them.
If they have cancelled tips give them a pager.

Optional: activate the pager sometime later during the cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Kansas City, MO
1,731 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by pablo222
I think I have the solution to anytime dining.
Swipe the passenger's card.
If they have not cancelled tips, seat them.
If they have cancelled tips give them a pager.

Optional: activate the pager sometime later during the cruise
Excellent idea!!
UK
2,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by susiesan
Excellent idea!!
Surely this wouldnt work, passengers would just leave it to the last day to remove there tips. What Princess needs is some sort of scanner to read passengers minds to see what they intend to do, or even a time machine, that would work.
2,897 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by antsp
Surely this wouldnt work, passengers would just leave it to the last day to remove there tips. What Princess needs is some sort of scanner to read passengers minds to see what they intend to do, or even a time machine, that would work.
The other way would be allow removal, but only for the preceding 24 hour period. So if some gets bad service they can remove for that period. If someone wants to remove for the entire cruise they would have to visit customer service each day for each 24 hour period.
UK
2,172 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
The other way would be allow removal, but only for the preceding 24 hour period. So if some gets bad service they can remove for that period. If someone wants to remove for the entire cruise they would have to visit customer service each day for each 24 hour period.
That's a great idea, hate to see the long lines every day though. Good job the have the elite line too
UK
605 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Just include gratuities in the price of the cruise. That solves all the problems!
scotland
125 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by PRINCESSTHE BEST
Just include gratuities in the price of the cruise. That solves all the problems!
best idea of this thread
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess 2016
Emerald Princess2016
Emerald Princess 2015
Caribbean Princess 2015
Emerald Princess 2014
Caribbean Princess 2013

Star Princess Apr 2011
Freedom of the Seas Oct 2010
Liberty of the Seas Feb 2008