Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:48 AM.
Boston
1,034 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Good evening fellow Cunard lovers.
I wanted to share this information as I felt it may be of interest to many of you [especially those of you in New England and "old" England as well].

I attended a wonderful exhibit today at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts called "Ocean Liners: Glamour, Speed, and Style" that chronicles the heyday of ocean travel between the mid-1800s to the mid 1900s. Whilst not specific to Cunard, the line [obviously] played a major part in the exhibit and was the most prominently displayed along with White Star Line, the French Line and the United States Line. Surprisingly there was not much on Holland America Line [with the exception of ONE poster] so I wonder if they did not want to grant copyright consent or something of the sort.

It was extremely well done and included [in addition to the many lovely vintage posters] several artifacts from actual famous ships [the original "Honor and Glory Crowning Time" from RMS Olympic; Verandah Grill circus painting and carpet from the original Queen Mary; deck chairs from Titanic, Normandie and SS United States; the Cartier diamond/pearl tiara that Lady Allen carried with her off the Lusitania; some of the Duke of Windsor's Goyard trunks; the scale model of the original Queen Elisabeth that was in the Cunard New York office, etc. etc.]. Also, the Hales Trophy is there for the exhibit. It really was a treasure trove of ocean liner goodies. This was a joint exhibit with London's Victoria & Albert Museum so will move there after the run in Salem finishes in Oct. so our brothers and sisters in England will have the chance to see it as well. For those that can't make it, the full catalog is available for purchase and includes wonderful pics of everything displayed [I couldn't resist buying one haha].

The link below has a very brief description of the exhibit. Anyway, I thought I would share as I know there are many true ship buffs on this board.

http://www.pem.org/exhibitions/198-o...peed_and_style
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST VOYAGES:
Holland America Line Zuiderdam (from Copenhagen) - Jun 2017 - Oceanview - 12 nights (Baltic: Dnk, Swe, Rus, Deu, Est, & Fin)
Cunard Queen Mary 2 (from NYC) - Jan 2017 - Balcony - 7 nights (Eastbound Transatlantic to Southampton)
Holland America Line Westerdam (from Seattle) - Sep 2016 - Inside - 7 nights (Alaska)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody OTS (from Venice) - May 2016 - Oceanview - 10 nights (E. Med: Italy, Greece, & Montenegro)
Cunard Queen Mary 2 (from Southampton) - Sep 2015 - Inside - 7 nights (Westbound Transatlantic to NYC)
Holland America Line Veendam (from Boston) - May 2015 - Inside - 7 nights (Bermuda)
Regal Princess (from Ft. Lauderdale) - Mar 2015 - Inside - 7 nights (E. Carib.: "PC" Bahamas, St. Thomas & St. Maarten)
Carnival Freedom (from Ft. Lauderdale) - Mar 2014 - Inside - 6 nights (W. Carib.: Key West FL, Grand Cayman, & Jamaica)
Norwegian Gem (from NYC) - Dec 2013 - Inside - 1 night (Cruise to Nowhere)
Norwegian Breakaway (from NYC) - Sep 2013 - Balcony - 7 nights (Bermuda)
Carnival Glory (from Boston) - Jun 2013 - Balcony - 4 nights (Canada: NB)
Carnival Legend (from Tampa) - Mar 2013 - Inside - 7 nights (Exotic W. Carib.: Mexico, Belize, & Honduras)
Carnival Fascination (from Miami) - Apr 2008 - Oceanview - 3 nights (Bahamas: Nassau)

UPCOMING:
Norwegian Sky (from Miami) - Oct 2017 - Inside - 4 nights (Cuba and "GSC" Bahamas)
Holland America Line Koningsdam (from Ft. Lauderdale) - Mar 2018 - Inside - 11 nights (S. Carib.: Sxm, Lca, Brb, Mtq, Kna, USVI, Bhs)
New Jersey
8,821 Posts
Joined May 2007
Thanks for posting this. I haven't been to the Peabody Essex in ages. I hope we can get up there before the exhibit closes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
10 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Franklin, MA USA
7,254 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Thank you for sharing. We should visit this museum
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
X~Century03,07~Mercury05~Summit15~Silhouette16 PCL~Caribbean06,09,10~Ruby08~Grand12~Royal17
RCI~Splendor04~Explorer07,09,10~Brilliance13~Allure16~Anthem16~Grandeur17 HAL~Zuiderdam04~Veendam16 NCL~Sun06~Spirit08~Dawn11~Jewel12~Gem12,17~Breakaway14 MSC~Poesia14~Divina14 Cunard~QM217
CCL~Liberty05~Miracle11~Glory13
Valley of the Sun, Arizona
7,143 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Wonderful exhibit. Makes you ponder if there will be such an exhibit 100 years on: Ball caps, slow, and No Style.......
Philadelphia, PA
91 Posts
Joined May 2004
Having attended the exhibit this week, I can second the recommendations to see it. We spent about three hours taking it in; much longer than I had expected. I have some photos that, once I've cleaned them up, I'll post here.
Phil