Advice November Aurora Northern Lights Cruise

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:13 AM.
Up north
18 Posts
Joined May 2017
Let's keep our fingers crossed that it decides to snow heavily the week before we get there! Last time we went, bearing in mind it was March, we were caught in a blizzard leaving Alta, was definately an experience trying to sail through the Norwegian Sea in those conditions! Did feel a bit queezy though!
Devon
178 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
We went in February this year and did the husky sledging and our driver told us quite often not enough snow until January in Alta so maybe p&o wait to see the conditions before offering trip? Did the northern lights trip and thought it was a lot of money for what we did, just went to a football field 10 mins from ship, we went on the 9.30pm trip and were lucky as saw the lights just after midnight as the sky cleared, people on earlier coaches had already left. The second night we had a fantastic view nearly all evening from the ship! Also in Alta people caught the bus to the museum from the tourist info place and walked down to a little beach and got beautiful photos of the lights!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
20 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by ModestlySublime
We have spoken to the company direct and they have booked us on their own tour for this November. Carting if no snow, sledging if there is. I suspect much cheaper than p&o would have been, very happy.

That's good.
Pleased to hear you have been able to book directly with the tour company.

I will discuss with the other members of our family traveling with us regarding our options.
UK
2,370 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
I was on the same cruise as Slugsta and Whatshallicallmyself - ( HI Both - Hope all well with you and yours ? ) and the very same experience re the northern lights excursion except that we had gone back to the ship before the lights came out. However, we were very lucky to see the lights actually dance with our naked eye from the ship on the second night. It was the most fantastic experience imaginable - but those lights are so elusive and so unpredictable that you have to be prepared for disappointment no matter how much you pay! We took a taxi to the cable car in Tromso and went up there DIY for the most amazing views of pure undriven snow. A great cruise
Staffordshire
1,805 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by [email protected]
Has anyone done the overnight at the Igloo Hotel..

Would really like to do it but not cheap at £389 each...
Plus the amount you have already paid for the night on the ship it will make it a very expensive night in any hotel never mind whether it is made of ice or not.
north east
2,333 Posts
Joined Mar 2011

We didn't stay over but visited the Ice Hotel and saw the skins which you lie on and in, and they were a bit 'wiffy' and I certainly wouldn't fancy sleeping on them.
The visit was fantastic and I would recommend that.
Stoke on Trent, England
4,854 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Just to warn you that we have now been to Finnish
Lapland in February 8 times and still haven't seen the Northern Lights!!!!!!!!! Then again we gave up standing on a frozen Lake at midnight at minus 32 for a log fire in a cabin so a ship may be a better option. ...... good luck.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
20 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by happy v
We didn't stay over but visited the Ice Hotel and saw the skins which you lie on and in, and they were a bit 'wiffy' and I certainly wouldn't fancy sleeping on them.
The visit was fantastic and I would recommend that.
The ‘Overnight at the Igloo Hotel’ excursion in Alta is not available during our November Northern Lights Cruise.

The reason as I understand it is that it does not open until Mid-December.

Perhaps just as well as apparently it cost £389.00pp.
Staffordshire
1,805 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Floppity
I'm doing this cruise in March (only just booked). Do you have to provide your own cold weather gear and boots etc.? Thanks
Yes.
Staffordshire
1,805 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by P-L-B
The ‘Overnight at the Igloo Hotel’ excursion in Alta is not available during our November Northern Lights Cruise.

The reason as I understand it is that it does not open until Mid-December.

Perhaps just as well as apparently it cost £389.00pp.

Have you seen the price they charge per person if you book direct with the Igloo Hotel approx £250pp which includes some sort of breakfast. Other than the transfer I do not know if P&O include anything else but seems a large price hike even taking into account those that get 10% reduction for Peninsular Club loyalty.
West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Floppity
I'm doing this cruise in March (only just booked). Do you have to provide your own cold weather gear and boots etc.? Thanks
Yes - look out for great ski-wear at Aldi and Lidl! And don't forget snow boots or ice grips - I bought the Yaktrax which worked beautifully.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:
https://photos.google.com/albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

To come:-
Adonia Round Britain 2017

Saga Sapphire Xmas Markets 2017
Aurora circumnavigation of South America 2018
Arcadia - USA & Canada Sept 2018

>
West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007

You also need to bear in mind that the loos are in a separate wooden building which means a walk outdoors across compacted snow!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

>
West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Slugsta
There are two things you should know about the lights to avoid disappointment if/when you get to see them. Both relate to photos you might have seen.

Firstly, the lights do not look anything like as green to the naked eye as they do in photos. This is because of the long exposure used in photos which 'layers' the colour. We also found that many photos seem to have had the colour enhanced considerably.

Secondly, many of the 'videos' on youtube etc are actually 'time lapse' photography, the aurora does not usually 'dance' in the way you might have been led to expect.

If I had not known these facts in advance I think I might have been very disappointed by the reality. As it happens, we were lucky enough to have some really good sightings
I can't agree that the lights did not dance to the naked eye. I sat and watched it drift and move exactly as I expected it to. What you can't do is video it. You need a tripod and a camera that will allow long exposures.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:

Ships visited:

>
UK
2,370 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Re spending the night in the Ice Hotel................. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Apart from the expense, the bedrooms were very poky and also I agree with happy v in a post above - whiffy!!! Someone told me that was because of reindeer pellets used in the mattresses... smelt like a hamster cage to me lol . AND with having to pop across the courtyard to the loo in the night in very very sub zero temperatures, that makes it a NO No for me. They told us that a lot of people who go to the loo in the night stay over there sleeping on a bench in the warm . It was a fabulous trip to the Ice Hotel and so worthwhile..... but it was nice to come back to a nice warm cabin on the ship to sleep.
Up north
18 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Host Sharon
I can't agree that the lights did not dance to the naked eye. I sat and watched it drift and move exactly as I expected it to. What you can't do is video it. You need a tripod and a camera that will allow long exposures.
I agree, we had a fantastic display and they did definately dance across the sky. When you watch footage of them they move fast because it's done by time lapse but if you are lucky and you get a really good display you will also see them dancing. We were also told that the naked eye doesn't pick the colours up like a camera does but again that was incorrect, we seen a multitude of colours. Just hoping and praying we get to see them again on the next trip!
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Scriv
Re spending the night in the Ice Hotel................. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Apart from the expense, the bedrooms were very poky and also I agree with happy v in a post above - whiffy!!! Someone told me that was because of reindeer pellets used in the mattresses... smelt like a hamster cage to me lol . AND with having to pop across the courtyard to the loo in the night in very very sub zero temperatures, that makes it a NO No for me. They told us that a lot of people who go to the loo in the night stay over there sleeping on a bench in the warm . It was a fabulous trip to the Ice Hotel and so worthwhile..... but it was nice to come back to a nice warm cabin on the ship to sleep.
Thanks all for the advice ... Think we'll opt for the day trip just to see (and smell) it.
20 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
We have spoken to the company direct and they have booked us on their own tour for this November. Carting if no snow, sledging if there is. I suspect much cheaper than p&o would have been, very happy.
I have discussed this option with the family and we would also be interested in booking this tour.
Could you please give me the contact details and location, Tromso or Alta.
Also dates and times available.
20 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Hi, ModestlySublime

OK, I think I may have found the company online.
Can you please confirm, is this the tour company you have booked?
Holmen Husky Lodge (Alta)
They offer a 2.5Hr Tour Along The Alta River.
Carting if no snow, sledging if there is.