QM2 replacement thoughts

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:41 AM.
2,869 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Yes the sea- she can be unpredictable. I like all the three Cunarders- maybe the QM2 in the leading- because of the high ceelings- the sheer elegance- much more so after her refit last year. To be honest I liked the Chart Room in it´s first decor and apperance best. Very roomy back then- now all filled up - but still a very nice room.
Queen Camilla then first- if Charles manages to outlive his dear mother. Queen Katherine next and then... well back to QM again. LOL: Nice to spind those tales. LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NYC
3,654 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
QM2's successor will depend on whether or not there is a demand for transoceanic speeds in the future. If passengers are willing to accept 8 day or even 9 day crossings and only in warm weather months than a liner won't be needed. An enhanced cruise ship will do. The conditions of the North Atlantic, especially from September onward, was one of the arguments Payne had made to Carnival's board to justify the need for a true liner.

I often thought that Aquitania was a beautiful name for a ship.
2,869 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Yes a very nice name for a ship - and a beautyful ship to from the pictures- and her ballroom was the " father " of the Queens Rooms I once read in Cunard book. ( bought on board- of course. LOL)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
3,460 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Germancruiser
Yes the sea- she can be unpredictable. I like all the three Cunarders- maybe the QM2 in the leading- because of the high ceelings- the sheer elegance- much more so after her refit last year. To be honest I liked the Chart Room in it´s first decor and apperance best. Very roomy back then- now all filled up - but still a very nice room.
Queen Camilla then first- if Charles manages to outlive his dear mother. Queen Katherine next and then... well back to QM again. LOL: Nice to spind those tales. LOL
Camilla, No no no you must be lolling, that would not do at all.

David
817 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Colin_Cameron
You've been lucky then.

(Big box) TVs thrown to the floor in cabins. Some of the bars looking like a war zone with hundreds of broken bottles. Smashed windows on decks seven, twelve and thirteen. Balcony dividers that disappeared overnight. One of those really solid exterior wooden doors on the prom deck smashed to matchwood!

But in essence, I agree. She handles the seas much better than her sisters.

Regards, Colin.
Dear Colin Cameron,

Would you let me (and the others) know, when and where all this happened? I have sailed the QM2 for about half a year altogether and never had the slightest problem.
318 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by Colin_Cameron
You've been lucky then.

(Big box) TVs thrown to the floor in cabins. Some of the bars looking like a war zone with hundreds of broken bottles. Smashed windows on decks seven, twelve and thirteen. Balcony dividers that disappeared overnight. One of those really solid exterior wooden doors on the prom deck smashed to matchwood!

But in essence, I agree. She handles the seas much better than her sisters.

Regards, Colin.
The QM2 did lurch in the middle of the night about 20 degrees or so on a West Bound TA last year. The Captain blamed high winds but the ship did not right itself immediately leading me to suspect someone in the bridge made a mistake.
Pennsylvania
5,427 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Kynance
Right now, I'd love Cunard to develop an app to complement and build on the printed daily programme, which would include stuff like a deck plan, restaurant menus and access to onboard accounts.
HAL has this capability, also including viewing and booking shore excursions. You can highlight the activities that interest you and they then appear in a different section. But no automatic notification that your event is about to start...

Another feature Cunard could copy is that the onboard sales department could see the credit card I had on file in the ship's account and was able to charge the deposit for a future cruise to that card. I always have to go retrieve my physical card after booking aboard a Cunard ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Helsinki, Finland
44 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
If I remember correctly the QM2 was designed for a hull life of 40 years, which means she will be around for a good 27 years still. So I might be able to take my retirement crossing on her!

The advances in shipping technology have been and will continue to be so great that the QM3 will be a totally different kind of ship. But I hope she will carry on with the style and grace of the current ship. My guess is that she will be powered by LNG or fuel cells, with gas turbines providing the backup power needed for the North Atlantic like today. She could be a bit larger but not much, the limiting factors being the Verrazano bridge and turning circle in Southampton port. Maybe a few meters wider?

The main question remains if there will be money to build the QM3. I remember reading somewhere that at current prices it would be impossible to build the QM2 today, let alone her successor. But 20+ years is a long time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature