Surge protector

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:43 PM.
587 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
We just got off of a Royal Caribbean cruise. We were called down to the naughty cruisers room where they had confiscated our power strip from our checked luggage. (The same device I've brought without incident on at least 20 prior cruises on more than one line.) I tried to reason with him that we needed it for my husband's CPAP machine, let alone the fact that there were two, yes only two outlets in the cabin. They said it was a fire hazard, yet an hour later I saw the ship's photographer plug one in! Has anyone had a problem with this type of confiscation? We met a man on the elevator who says he packs his in his CPAP machine travel bag.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising since 1966 (Home Lines Oceanic). Along the way we have cruised Princess 19 times, Royal Caribbean 7 times, Disney 3 times, Home Lines 2 times, Celebrity 2 times, Oceania 3 times, America Hawaii Cruises 1 time, and Azamara 1 time.
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,565 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Used one a few weeks ago on Emerald Princess; and used one on Norwegian Jade. No questions asked by cabin steward
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,144 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
The strip without surge protection are OK but they often miss the ones with surge protection when boarding.
If it had been in your carried on luggage most likely the port scanning wouldn't have said a word.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Columbus,Ohio
1,543 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by pthjudy
We just got off of a Royal Caribbean cruise. We were called down to the naughty cruisers room where they had confiscated our power strip from our checked luggage. (The same device I've brought without incident on at least 20 prior cruises on more than one line.) I tried to reason with him that we needed it for my husband's CPAP machine, let alone the fact that there were two, yes only two outlets in the cabin. They said it was a fire hazard, yet an hour later I saw the ship's photographer plug one in! Has anyone had a problem with this type of confiscation? We met a man on the elevator who says he packs his in his CPAP machine travel bag.

I always carry a UL rated extension cord for my CPAP and have never had an issue. I also have a small 3 outlet adapter that we use to charge phones, nooks, etc. but only when we're in the cabin, none have surge protectors. I think their issue is, 1) surge protectors mess with the onboard power system and 2) with strips they fear the use of multiple devices plugged in at the same time possibly overloading the circuit? JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Calimesa, CA
4,784 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by mllewis48
I always carry a UL rated extension cord for my CPAP and have never had an issue. I also have a small 3 outlet adapter that we use to charge phones, nooks, etc. but only when we're in the cabin, none have surge protectors. I think their issue is, 1) surge protectors mess with the onboard power system and 2) with strips they fear the use of multiple devices plugged in at the same time possibly overloading the circuit? JMHO
Pretty sure it's just the "surge" protector feature that's the issue.
Palmdale, Ca
33,188 Posts
Joined Sep 2007

That's kind of what I've been told by a couple of different crew members on a couple of different ships.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
587 Posts
Joined Feb 2010

I actually had Royal Caribbean provide us with a long extension cord and distilled water for the CPAP. I have that same request with Princess on our February cruise on the Star. (I did get it back after the cruise.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising since 1966 (Home Lines Oceanic). Along the way we have cruised Princess 19 times, Royal Caribbean 7 times, Disney 3 times, Home Lines 2 times, Celebrity 2 times, Oceania 3 times, America Hawaii Cruises 1 time, and Azamara 1 time.
Preston UK
752 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
For future reference I believe you can ask for extensions and maybe adapters for a cpap machine and for distilled water if needed - RCCL have a form you email them.
Not sure why you posted this in the Princess forum?
861 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Royal Caribbean also took our power strip ( no surge protection) on our first RC cruise this year. Same one we have used on Princess and Carnival for years. Our friends had theirs in their carry on and it was not taken.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Long Island, NY
5,456 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
This seems to be the new go to item for the naughty room, as the topic is starting to pop up as frequently as the dress code and beverage package treads. Riddle me this Batman....If passengers carrying power strips and outlet extenders is such a problem why aren't they installing power stations in the staterooms? USB ports can easily be installed with the outlet and there is no excuse to not plan for them in new builds. I am scheduled for a sleep study and may be joining the CPAP club which seems to have a lot of members who are cruisers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
3,732 Posts
Joined May 2011
You don't need surge protection on a ship. Just additional outlets. So bring along an extension cord that has two or three outlets on the end and you're all set. Plus,on Princess, you will have more than two outlets in your cabin. Not all of them are easy to get to, but that is where the extension cord comes in handy. Plug it in once at the start of the cruise and unplug it at the end of the cruise.
16,395 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Once brought a Belkin power strip on my carry-on but was not flagged. Learned here it has surge protection and don't bring it anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
pa
6,689 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Next time on any ship just bring along an extension with multiple outlets, not a surge protector. This is a technical explanation of why ships frown on true surge protectors. It was provided by a CC poster.

"In order to monitor the condition of electricalequipment onboard, there is a single connection between the current carryingconductors and ground (hull), which has a fixed resistance on it, and a meter.Any accidental ground anywhere on the ship will change this resistance toground, and show up on the meter as a low insulation resistance. Most surgeprotectors divert voltage surges to the ground wire, so these will show up asalarms in the engine room as low insulation resistance. Only surge protectorsthat use the "series circuit", which stores current and then slowlylets it to the current carrying conductors will not bleed current to the groundwire"
587 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Aulanis
For future reference I believe you can ask for extensions and maybe adapters for a cpap machine and for distilled water if needed - RCCL have a form you email them.
Not sure why you posted this in the Princess forum?
I posted here because my next cruise is with Princess and wanted to know if perhaps policies have changed since I was on the Regal last fall. And I also thought it was funny how the ship's photographer was using one. I do believe that ships need more outlets though. (My extension had lots of company too. Maybe a dozen friends to keep it company while we were away!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southern California
1,075 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I have been on 20 plus Princess cruises. I always brought a extension with a surge protector. Never had problem. Just found out about this issue a couple of months ago. So I am going out and buying an extension without a surge protector before our next cruise in Oct. I will pack it with my three bottles of Jack Daniels, my portable coffee maker and my medical marijuana, LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul

Future
Japan and SE Asia Oct 2017
Cabo Nov. 2017
South America Feb/Mar 2019
Completed
Cabo November 2016
Alaska June/July 2016
California Coastal Apr/May 2016
Vancouver to Seattle (1 Day)
Santa Barbara Nov. 2015
Golden Princess Buenos Aires to Santiago March 2015 Part 1
Golden Princess Santiago to Los Angeles March 2015 Part 2
Grand Princess Mexico Rivera Nov. 2014
Sapphire Princess Southern California Jan. 2014 Part 2
Sapphire Princess Southern California Jan 2014 Part 1
Ruby Princess Eastern Mediterranean Sep/Oct 2013
Coral Princess: Panama Canal Feb 2013
Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Apr 2012 Part 2
Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean Apr 2012 Part 1
Sapphire Princess South Pacific Oct 2011
Sea Princess Alaska July 2011
Golden Princess Hawaii March 2011
Sapphire Princess Mexico Rivera Dec 2010
Sea Princess, Alaska, Sep. 2010
Crown Princess, West Caribbean, Apr. 2010
Diamond Princess, Australia and NZ, Jan. 2010
Carnival Splendor, Mexican Rivera, Dec. 2009
Coral Princess, Panama Canal, Sep. and Oct 2009
Grand Princess, West Europe, Apr. and May 2009 Part 2
Grand Princess, Transatlantic and UK, Apr. 2009 Part 1
Star Princess. Mexican Rivera, Oct. 2008
Calimesa, CA
4,784 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Iamcruzin
This seems to be the new go to item for the naughty room, as the topic is starting to pop up as frequently as the dress code and beverage package treads. Riddle me this Batman....If passengers carrying power strips and outlet extenders is such a problem why aren't they installing power stations in the staterooms? USB ports can easily be installed with the outlet and there is no excuse to not plan for them in new builds. I am scheduled for a sleep study and may be joining the CPAP club which seems to have a lot of members who are cruisers.
Something like one in every 10 adults has sleep apnea (a lot of kids, too). A lot of that is a result of obesity.
If you're a male with a neck size greater than 17 inches or a female greater than 16 inches, you almost certainly have OSA. That number includes almost every professional football player in the US.
109 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by dfields1814
I have been on 20 plus Princess cruises. I always brought a extension with a surge protector. Never had problem. Just found out about this issue a couple of months ago. So I am going out and buying an extension without a surge protector before our next cruise in Oct. I will pack it with my three bottles of Jack Daniels, my portable coffee maker and my medical marijuana, LOL
Should be fine.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app
Edmonton Alberta Canada
188 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I too bring a long (10ft.) regular household extension cord for my cpap machine. 31 cruises on Princess and no problems with machine not being surge protected. On the subject of cpap machines, I also bring a small roll of duct tape in case the hose springs a leak, and I also bring along an extra mask and headgear in case one of those little clips decides to break. Saved my butt on one cruise.
587 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by dfields1814
This may sound stupid, but how do you know if your power strip has a surge protector? Mine is not like that real expensive one I bought for my computer or giant TV.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chico, California
8,474 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Units with surge protection such as this one are NOT ALLOWED:

Get something LIKE THIS and you will be FINE:

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...