Surge protector

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:05 PM.
Maine
11,019 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Another thing people should be aware of regarding surge protectors, whether on ship or on shore, is that the semi-conductors that accomplish the surge protection have a "life span", and when exposed to voltages less than their "clamping voltage" (the voltage where it starts to dump power to ground), even voltages just slightly above the nominal 110 volts, it starts to degrade. After time, it will no longer provide protection from power surges. Some surge protectors have a "protected" LED on them, but I wouldn't trust these, and surge protectors should be replaced every few years.

On a ship, this situation is aggravated by the reverse voltages that the surge protector semi-conductors are exposed to, from things like accidental grounds on the ship and spikes from thyristors in the propulsion systems. These reverse voltages (higher voltage in ground than in the power conductors, because they are out of phase, and it is AC after all) are what cause surge protectors to fail in "thermal overload" and rapidly overheat and melt the power strip. Marine surge protectors (very costly) have "thermal cut-outs" as well as circuit breakers.
585 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by chengkp75
In addition to the quote from one of my previous thousand posts about surge protectors that SantaFeFan posted, just know that none of the ship's multitude of electronics are protected by surge protectors, because lightning doesn't enter the ship's electrical system at all, unlike your home where one of the power conductors (neutral) is connected to the ground conductor, and will transmit voltage back to your electronics. Also, power surges at home are caused when pole transformers blow out, sending spikes of 10,000 volts to your electronics. Ships don't have these types of transformers, and also don't step power down from 10k to 220 (what actually comes into your house) in one step. They have one transformer from 10k to 480 volts, then another from 480 to 220 volts, and finally one from 220 to 110 volts, so all of these transformers would have to blow out at the same time to cause a voltage spike of 10k volts to your cabin on the ship.

Also, just for information, a surge protector will not "protect your home to prevent fire from overload". A surge protector senses overly high voltage, which can cause a fire due to overheating of the plastic in your electronics if they see the high voltage, but a surge protector does nothing for "overload" or high current. Only a circuit breaker will protect the house's wiring from overheating from too high a current.
Would something like this be safe?

Axis

3-Outlet Wall Adapter

Image was too large to load. It plugs into outlet and allows for 3 plugs.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising since 1966 (Home Lines Oceanic). Along the way we have cruised Princess 19 times, Royal Caribbean 7 times, Disney 3 times, Home Lines 2 times, Celebrity 2 times, Oceania 3 times, America Hawaii Cruises 1 time, and Azamara 1 time.
San Jose, Calif
1,769 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by pthjudy
Would something like this be safe?

Axis

3-Outlet Wall Adapter

Yes, but the width may be a problem. I much prefer something thinner so it will still allow use of the outlet next to it, if any. Plus, it helps to have a couple of USB ports as well. Here is what I use ($5.35 on Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,300 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by SantaFeFan
Yes, but the width may be a problem. I much prefer something thinner so it will still allow use of the outlet next to it, if any. Plus, it helps to have a couple of USB ports as well. Here is what I use ($5.35 on Amazon):

I have a couple of these & have been happy with them.

Despite blocking one of the 2 desktop outlets, I get 3 outlets & 2 USB charging ports instead.
585 Posts
Joined Feb 2010

Thank you everyone. Can't believe I spent most of the day discussing and researching how to exist in 2017 with 2 outlets. C'mon Princess. I know you read these boards. I'll forfeit some of those delicious hard rolls. Just give me more outlets!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising since 1966 (Home Lines Oceanic). Along the way we have cruised Princess 19 times, Royal Caribbean 7 times, Disney 3 times, Home Lines 2 times, Celebrity 2 times, Oceania 3 times, America Hawaii Cruises 1 time, and Azamara 1 time.
Shertz, Texas
766 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We just got off of a Royal Caribbean cruise. We were called down to the naughty cruisers room where they had confiscated our power strip from our checked luggage. (The same device I've brought without incident on at least 20 prior cruises on more than one line.) I tried to reason with him that we needed it for my husband's CPAP machine, let alone the fact that there were two, yes only two outlets in the cabin. They said it was a fire hazard, yet an hour later I saw the ship's photographer plug one in! Has anyone had a problem with this type of confiscation? We met a man on the elevator who says he packs his in his CPAP machine travel bag.
Royal Caribbean has always had an extension cord in the room for my wife's cpap! We just contacted them (or our Travel Agent) in advance for the cord and distilled water. We used to carry an extension cord (without multiple outlets) in carry-on before we found out it could be provided.

Carnival wasn't as good as they wanted a deposit and wouldn't guarantee it would be available. With them we brought in carry-on

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PLUS / VIFP Club - GOLD
[email protected]

Get FREE E-Mail alerts on price changes at http://www.changedetection.com/

See my review of Cruising out of Galveston > http://kittendads.blogspot.com/

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
Boca Raton, FL
2,127 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Shmoo here
I'm not totally sure of why, but I think it's because the surge protection requires "grounding". And a ship isn't grounded, like a building on land.
Shout out to Shmoo!

Nice to see you on CC! We recently met you at the DCL Fantasy Meet & Greet in June. (I have another name on the DIS.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
47 Past Cruises: Bermuda Star, Majestic, Oceanic (x2), Noordam, Constitution, Vera Cruz, Nieuw Amsterdam, Rotterdam (x2), Westerdam, Veendam, Rotterdam VI, Maasdam, Grand Princess (x3), Ocean Princess, Explorer of the Seas, Golden Princess, Disney Magic (x2), Voyager of the Seas, Disney Wonder (x4), Emerald Princess (x4), Disney Dream (x3), Oasis of the Seas, Disney Fantasy (x4), Zuiderdam, Allure of the Seas, Eurodam, Ruby Princess, Regal Princess, Caribbean Princess (x3)

SoCal
9,645 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by metairiegal
Shout out to Shmoo!

Nice to see you on CC! We recently met you at the DCL Fantasy Meet & Greet in June. (I have another name on the DIS.)
I know.....

Been on CC for almost as long as the other place. Just don't post here as much. And only recently been doing Princess.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
19 Cruises, 11 ships, 194 nights

Boca Raton, FL
2,127 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
Something like this is fine. It's extra pugs only.

Ok, thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
47 Past Cruises: Bermuda Star, Majestic, Oceanic (x2), Noordam, Constitution, Vera Cruz, Nieuw Amsterdam, Rotterdam (x2), Westerdam, Veendam, Rotterdam VI, Maasdam, Grand Princess (x3), Ocean Princess, Explorer of the Seas, Golden Princess, Disney Magic (x2), Voyager of the Seas, Disney Wonder (x4), Emerald Princess (x4), Disney Dream (x3), Oasis of the Seas, Disney Fantasy (x4), Zuiderdam, Allure of the Seas, Eurodam, Ruby Princess, Regal Princess, Caribbean Princess (x3)

585 Posts
Joined Feb 2010

I just ordered from Amazon. Looks perfect and the first review mentioned cruise ships. Once again Cruise Critic saves the day (literally)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Palmdale, Ca
33,175 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I just ordered from Amazon. Looks perfect and the first review mentioned cruise ships. Once again Cruise Critic saves the day (literally)
Hadn't heard of this one. Just ordered one for myself as well.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Michigan
207 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by dfields1814
I have been on 20 plus Princess cruises. I always brought a extension with a surge protector. Never had problem. Just found out about this issue a couple of months ago. So I am going out and buying an extension without a surge protector before our next cruise in Oct. I will pack it with my three bottles of Jack Daniels, my portable coffee maker and my medical marijuana, LOL
Don't forget your iron!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.hollandamerica.com/images/3starMariner.gif
los angeles
182 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
i have a green outlet extender i bring. i got it dec 26 one year for a couple of bucks because it is for christmas tree/lights. no surge, just plugs. just a tip for those of you who want a back up for your cpap.

i also have a usb hub similar to one posted earlier for phones and ipad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Chelsea MA
3,563 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
I always take a 3' foot extension cord with 3 outlets. I Never had a problem and never had to go to the naughty room. I also take a dual USB wall charger ( Model: IC-TCO2) by iclever. No Surge Protector!!!
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Boca Raton, FL
2,127 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by luckysadie
Don't forget your iron!
And, fan!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature