Coral Princess Alaska S/B Whittier Vancouver Trip Report

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:09 AM.
217 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Post 1: intro

This trip report is long and not long! It will be posted over a Loooonnnnnngggggggtime, possibly weeks as I have so little time to get on the Board… But the posts themselves will not be long… as I try to just mention things that are either helpful tips that may not be widely posted, or important tips worth posting to make sure you get them!

I divide this report in sections:

General comments about Alaska cruise (not Princess CL specific)
Pre-trip (handled by Princess) (with a surprise story)
Embarkation (includes Princess shuttle from Anchorage)
The 2 days of glaciers
Skagway (helicopter/dogsled)
Juneau (Whale and hike)
Ketchikan (totems and shopping)
At sea days/ship activities
The CAPTAIN
The Food
General comments about Coral Princess/Princess cruise line(with cabin comments)
Disembarkation/Princess shuttle

For fun: I plan to give you 10 golden tips sprinkled through the posts.

Oh… for those into this sort of detail we have 6: my wife and I, DD 27, DS and DD-law 25, DD 16. See pic below. (addendum: picture link may not be working; I will have fixed before next post).

Now don’t forget… It could be a week or two between each post… sorry.

https://pix.sfly.com/6gtj4R
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Island Princess 1983
Dawn Princess 1998
Ocean Princess 2002
Enchantment of the Seas 2004
RSSC Navigator 2004
Disney Magic 2006
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Disney Magic 2008
Disney Fantasy 2012
Coral Princess 2017
Arizona
715 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I'll be following along! The photo link works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jewel of the Seas 11/2018 Southern Caribbean
Adventure of the Seas 9/2018 Canada/New England
Ruby Princess 5/2018 Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas 12/2017 Western Caribbean
Vision of the Seas 5/2017 British Isles
Jewel of the Seas 11/2016 Southern Caribbean (solo)
Explorer of the Seas 9/2016 Pacific Coastal (solo)
Explorer of the Seas 5/2016 Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas 9/2015 Canada/New England
Jewel of the Seas 5/2015 Pacific Coastal
Vision of the Seas 10/2014 Western Caribbean
Adventure of the Seas 2/2014 Southern Caribbean
Jewel of the Seas 9/2012 Canada/New England
217 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
gar_1577_01 by Scott Young, on Flickr

got the picture thing done where you don't have to click a link... hopefully post #2 later today.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Island Princess 1983
Dawn Princess 1998
Ocean Princess 2002
RSSC Navigator 2004
Disney Magic 2006
Disney Magic 2008
Disney Fantasy 2012
Coral Princess 2017
217 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Post 2: General comments about Alaska cruise (not Princess CL specific)

But first a word from your sponsor: I apologize that I didn’t put on thread title June 17-14, 2017. It won't let me edit; hope that won’t cause too much angst. The good news is that I think I figured out to make my pics viewable without clicking a link.

Now back to regular programming(!):

This was my fourth Alaska cruise out of 10 total cruises… so do the math, I think Alaska is the best place to go.

That is because:

1) Nice balance of 1/3, 1/3, 1/3: beautiful scenery, interesting ports, and multiple days at sea. Last one some of you may express surprise… I’m a bit of an work-aholic, so those days of doing nothing are valuable. Of course Alaska cheats… some of those “days at sea” are spent looking at glaciers.
2) So much of the cruise is near land… so your seasickness risk is low. Not zero. For all my other Alaska cruises we had a 8-12 hour time of high waves and so could get queasy…not anything more. But on this cruise: amazing… weather was great which meant absolutely zero risk of seasickness this time (and for our sole cruise newbie in the family traveling this time, this was reassuring).
3) Feel safer… 98% is US based.

Golden tip #1: (this only applies to Alaska cruises): you don’t have to do the patch to avoid seasickness. Just have some Bonine available if you get bad weather and queasy. Odds are high you will never use.Just look on this board and you will see tons of posts about patch side effects, and worse than that, withdrawal syx.

Next post is #3: Pre-trip(handled by Princess) (with a surprise story)

Scan-5 by Scott Young, on Flickr
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Island Princess 1983
Dawn Princess 1998
Ocean Princess 2002
RSSC Navigator 2004
Disney Magic 2006
Disney Magic 2008
Disney Fantasy 2012
Coral Princess 2017
217 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
First an apology: sorry been so long since last post (though I DID warn that would happen).

New disclaimer: normally before making my next post, I would diligently look at all new threads since my last post, to see if suggestions/comments were already made to trim from my own report. Well… I have no time to do that… but still hope my attempt at brevity will make this useful report! Now on with the narrative:

Post 3:Pre-trip (handled by Princess) (with a surprise story)

Ever since we did a “Disney handle everything” Disney cruise, I have paid to have all the pre and post cruise things handled by the Cruise line. Ever since we literally (and I am NOT kidding) almost missed our 1998 cruise by 10 minutes, we stay in embarkation port city night before.

So we did the Princess pre thing. As I expected, it was all smooth & courteous. We stayed at Captain Cook hotel and was nice. My one complaint (and another Princess traveling family complained too…) was that for all we paid, I was surprised they didn’t include a breakfast voucher… I put on my survey to PCL to consider negotiating one with hotels and including in the package…

Now for our story. This is the only extraneous narrative I will include in this entire trip report.

So we are a family of 6 now. But our oldest daughter could not do the cruise due to teaching summer school. Well, about 3 weeks before the cruise, she decided to do something else for the summer and called and asked if she could still come.The boat was full, but we soon had another cabin.

Golden tip #2: Princess holds back a sizable number of cabins for possible crew family And huge travel agencies keep blocks of cabins until a few weeks before departure. So if you don’t have the cabin you wanted or cabin type, keep checking online or have your TA call periodically. I bet you can always get what you want.

Back to the drama. We didn’t tell our other 3 kids. Our eldest was flying from a different part of US and was waiting for us at the hotel. We coordinated to the second the time we would walk in her direction near the lobby. I was videoing the family walking down the hall, making them think that I wanted it for a family video, knowing that at that very moment, our daughter was walking out from a store on the left side of me towards them. Below is the reaction of everyone (my wife was in on the secret). How fun!!!

DSC00705by Scott Young, onFlickr

Next post will be Princess specific comments… stay tuned!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Island Princess 1983
Dawn Princess 1998
Ocean Princess 2002
RSSC Navigator 2004
Disney Magic 2006
Disney Magic 2008
Disney Fantasy 2012
Coral Princess 2017