What do you do on sea days?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:44 PM.
Philadelphia, PA
503 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
We're taking our first TA next spring, and are eagerly looking forward to a solid week of sea days, with a few extra thrown in in the following week...Since we're new to this, we were wondering how you seasoned cruisers spend all those sea days...how you keep from getting bored, or how you maximize the relaxation benefit!

Looking forward to hearing your experiences!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Lynn

Crown Princess, April 2018
Caribbean Princess, April 2015
Emerald Princess, April 2013

Celebrity Constellation, April 2011
Emerald Princess, April 2009
NCL Gem, January 2009
Sun Princess, April 2007
Sea Princess, April 2006
NCL Majesty, April 2004
NCL Sea, May 2002

Calimesa, CA
4,776 Posts
Joined May 2013
The Patter will be full of activities. We've done Hawaii 3 times and never lacked for something to do (9 sea days total).

Take walks, go to movies, trivia, listen to music, read books...that's what we do, but we're kind of sedate and quiet.
Williamsburg, VA
339 Posts
Joined May 2011
Typically the ship will have lectures of some sort and we will attend. Then it is finding a quiet place to read. And finally, we enjoy watching you all.
465 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We get up and hit the gym so that we don't have to feel guilty about lazing around for the rest of the day
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL:
2001 - Voyager (Western Caribbean including Labadee)(March)
2003 - Explorer (Eastern Caribbean including Nassau)(July)
2005 - Adventure (Southern Caribbean including Aruba)(August)
2007 - Radiance (Western Caribbean including Key West)(March)
2009 - Explorer (9 days - Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean along with Hurricane)(Aug)
2013 - Explorer (5 days to Bermuda) (August)
2015 - Radiance (11 days - Cruise tour to Denali and then Seward to Vancouver)(July)
PRINCESS:
2002 - Grand (Eastern Caribbean)(July)
2004 - Caribbean Princess (Western Caribbean)(August)
2008 - Caribbean Princess (9 days - Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean)(August)
2015 - Regal Princess (7 days - Eastern Caribbean)(December-Xmas Cruise)
2016 - Regal Princess (11 days - Southern Caribbean)(December-Xmas Cruise)
CELEBRITY
2011 - Galapagos on Xpedition (August)
2013 - Summit (Southern Caribbean)(March)
RIVER CRUISE
2016 - Avalon Impression - Danube (July)
STAR CLIPPERS
2017 - Star Flyer (10 days - Venice to Athens) (Planned for July)
Windsor Ct USA
355 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I am an early riser DW likes to sleep in. I go to the International Cafe on
princess cruise lines. The cafe is open 24 hours. At 6 am fresh donuts are brought out and with a cup of coffee is a pleasant way to start the day. Every morning , the same people will sit and chat, have their coffee and good
Conversation. Very quiet on the ship and sunrise at sea can't be beat.
Enjoy!
Tampa, FL
1,160 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Eat, read, nap, walk for a mile or so on the Promenade, shop, listen to music, listen to audio books, attend lectures, attend the live performances in the piazza, sit on the promenade to read then fall asleep to the sound of the ocean passing by, bingo, movies under the stars, movies on TV, movies in the Explorer's Lounge, looking at art work throughout the ship, especially the stairwells, think about what we'll have for dinner, getting ready for dinner, drinks before dinner, dinner, show after dinner, walking under the stars before bed, relaxing on the balcony - just to name a few!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Doug & Eric

Next Trip: HAL Koningsdam Caribbean 11-19-2017

Dolphin (Seabreeze I) / Premier (Seabreeze I) / Premier (Starship Atlantic) / Regency (Regent Rainbow) / Carnival (Tropicale) / Royal Olympic (Odysseus ) / Cunard (QE2, Caronia) / NCL (Crown Dynasty, Norway, Norwegian Star) / Holland America (Noordam III, Maasdam, Rotterdam, Oosterdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Statendam), Princess (Diamond Princess, Golden Princess, Sapphire Princess, Pacific Princess, Royal Princess, Star Princess)
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,722 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Read, go to lectures, movies, "Knitters & Natters", and read some more. If it's warm, I enjoy the Sanctuary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Island Princess -- 19-day Partial Panama Canal 11/16/16
Ruby Princess -- 6-day Wine Country Coastal 4/29/17
Emerald Princess -- 12-day round-trip LA <> Alaska 4/27/18
Philadelphia, PA
503 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Thank you all! We did book under the Sip and Sail, so that aspect is taken care of

I tend to be kind of driven, and sitting back and just chilling is kind of difficult for me...I always feel that I should be doing something, so I expect the first day or two may be kind of difficult...but, to be honest, I'm looking forward to the "enforced relaxation," to really get me into vacation mode...we'll have lots to do the second week of the cruise, so I hope to learn how to relax and make the most of the down time the first week... sleep in and not feel like I'm "missing something" or "wasting time on the cruise!"...I can't think of the last time I actually took a nap...ah...something to look forward to!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Lynn

Crown Princess, April 2018
Caribbean Princess, April 2015
Emerald Princess, April 2013

Celebrity Constellation, April 2011
Emerald Princess, April 2009
NCL Gem, January 2009
Sun Princess, April 2007
Sea Princess, April 2006
NCL Majesty, April 2004
NCL Sea, May 2002

Vancouver, WA
603 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
If you like to feel you are doing something, you could bring a project like needlework or knitting/crocheting. I usually walk a lot of laps, spend hours looking around for wild life with my binoculars, and hit the gym.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 8/16
Caribbean Princess 1/16
Westerdam 6/14
Oosterdam 4/11
Radiance of the Seas 10/09
Monarch of the Seas 12/04
Norwegian Sky 9/03
HAL Statendaam 6/81
Chelsea MA
3,563 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Most of the time I get drunk and hang out at the buffet Sorry I could not help my self LOL.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

South Carolina
27,902 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
On "At Sea" days the main dining room is open for lunch so we always enjoy doing that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Irvine, CA
8,794 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Lance1224
I am an early riser DW likes to sleep in. I go to the International Cafe on Princess cruise lines. The cafe is open 24 hours. At 6 am fresh donuts are brought out and with a cup of coffee is a pleasant way to start the day. Every morning , the same people will sit and chat, have their coffee and good conversation. Very quiet on the ship and sunrise at sea can't be beat.
Enjoy!
The above is one of the very best things about being an early riser.
Pacific North West
4,257 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by RJ2002
Eat, read, nap.

Ditto, plus sleep in and then enjoy breakfast in the Dining Room. Explore the ship and sometime take a class or listen to an interesting lecture

Sea Days are one of the secret pleasures of cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums