Library on the pacific jewel

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:34 AM.
4 Posts
Joined May 2017
Hi, first time cruiser here. Traveling on the pacific jewel July 12th and I'm wondering if they have a library? I am traveling as the only adult with two children and have already been informed by them they have it all planned out and I'm most likely to get bored waiting for them. Hahaha I can't seem to find any info on the jewel regarding a library and would love to spend an arvo reading a good book and drinking a cocktail or two.. thanks in advance for any help..
Auckland, New Zealand
607 Posts
Joined May 2009
Hi - I've not been on the Pacific Jewel (yet... going soon) but did find that there is a library. It's shown in the link below under "activities".

http://www.cruiseaustralia.com.au/po.../pacific-jewel

There are also a few videos taken walking around the decks which show a library. I'm sure someone else will let you know how good the library is
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit, Mediterranean 2009
Oceania Regatta, Mediterranean 2012
Cunard Queen Elizabeth, Australasia 2017
Sailing on Pacific Jewel, New Zealand 2017
4 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Scottygirl1
Hi - I've not been on the Pacific Jewel (yet... going soon) but did find that there is a library. It's shown in the link below under "activities".

http://www.cruiseaustralia.com.au/po.../pacific-jewel

There are also a few videos taken walking around the decks which show a library. I'm sure someone else will let you know how good the library is
Oh awesome, thanks so much.. I was looking at the deck plans and just couldn't find one..
Auckland, New Zealand
607 Posts
Joined May 2009
This is an old video but it shows a library. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPLz1FQfBX0

It says it is on level 8. The other link I put up says there is a library too. I'd be surprised if a ship didn't have some sort of a library!!

Here is another link which says there is a library. https://www.ozcruising.com.au/ship/pacific-jewel
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
225 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
I suggest you visit your local op shop, I don't get time to read at home but with a couple of sea days, I manage to get though 3 or 4 books.

There is a Library, I think it was open for an hour each day, with a limited selection of books and games. There was also some computers in there for internet browsing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Melbourne
97 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Sorry to say the is no library on the Pacific Jewel any longer. I understand they demolished it when she had a refit 2 years ago. Now they have a trolley, like you see in hospitals, which caters for readers. It usually is located in the Dome each morning and you can borrow or swap books here. The book selection varies depending upon whatever passengers have left behind when they disembark.

I believe that when they took over Pacific Eden they demolished what was a good library also. Perhaps they don't think that we read while on board!!! I have travelled on both these ships lately and imagine that it is the same on all P&O ships out of Australia.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1951 - SS Otranto: UK - Aus
2015 - Pacific Jewel: Sth Aus
2015 - Pacific Jewel: Tas, Sth Aus, Vic - New Year
2016 - Pacific Eden: Kangaroo Island
2016 - Pacific Jewel: Sth Aus
2016 - Pacific Jewel: NSW, Qld - New Year
2017 - Pacific Eden: Noumea, Vila, Lifou, Isle Pines, Mystery Island

2017 - Pacific Jewel: Christmas cruise Australia
2018 - Pacific Jewel: New Zealand/Tasmania
2018 - Pacific Eden: Loyalty Islands
2018 - Carnival Legend: New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
607 Posts
Joined May 2009
Ah, there you go then, no library. I think the idea of getting books from an op shop or second hand book shop is a great idea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
4 Posts
Joined May 2017
Thank you guys so much.. yeah we have a few book exchanges around my area but was trying to avoid the weight in my luggage for the domestic flight to Sydney.. will just have to leave out a few of those extra shoes I was planning on taking.. haha. I do have e books but they are just not quite the same..
new zealand
2 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Yes, there is a library on the Jewel . i was on there 2 weeks ago & it is inside the car simulator room , the Pit Stop ,on deck 8 forward.[not that easy to find ]
It had around 200 assorted books , which have all been donated by past passengers . most have been bought at 2 nd hand book shops & are in reasonable condition .
The room is open on 7 day cruises for 1 hour twice a day on the 1st ,4th & last evening to return books .
On shorter cruises they are put on a trolley outside the dome on deck 14 forward .
Hope this helps future cruisers .
I always take 3 books with me on my cruises & leave on board to help other passengers ,who have not taken anything to read .
I am on the Jewel again aug 28 th - sept 4th , you will see me reading most days on deck 6 in the atrium , stop & say hi
Melbourne
97 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Thanks xwelshnowkiwi sounds like they have changed things. I am going on the Jewel at Christmas and again in Feb (to NZ). Son tried to access the car simulator room last Dec but it was never open. Perhaps they have found a different use for it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1951 - SS Otranto: UK - Aus
2015 - Pacific Jewel: Sth Aus
2015 - Pacific Jewel: Tas, Sth Aus, Vic - New Year
2016 - Pacific Eden: Kangaroo Island
2016 - Pacific Jewel: Sth Aus
2016 - Pacific Jewel: NSW, Qld - New Year
2017 - Pacific Eden: Noumea, Vila, Lifou, Isle Pines, Mystery Island

2017 - Pacific Jewel: Christmas cruise Australia
2018 - Pacific Jewel: New Zealand/Tasmania
2018 - Pacific Eden: Loyalty Islands