Make-a-wish possibly being dropped as RCI's Charity???

I'll be curious to see what is or is not offered on Splendour next week, after reading this.

I too have noticed that some sailings really make a big deal out of the Make a Wish connection and fundraiser and others hardly mention it. In my experience, the sailings with a lot of Americans on board push it much more than those where USA falls fairly far down in the top 10 list.

I think this makes sense, while Make A Wish is technically international now the vast majority of the work is still in the US. I think having a different, more globally relevant charity on sailings outside of the US, and Make A Wish on sailings from the US would be a nice way to do more good and help in more relevant ways which reflect the entire passenger base.

We just got off Indy and they had the walk. We also met a family who was on their make a wish cruise. Their son had undergone cancer treatment. They were having a great time. They even had a private flowriding session in which they all rode.

We met them a few times in passing during the cruise and they said they are making memories at will last a life time.

Just off Freedom, and the hotel director said they are no longer doing Walk For Wishes, but do still have a partnership with them, and host Make a Wish families for their wishes. There was no mention of what the next charity program would be, or if there would be one.

We were on Silhouette earlier this year, and the CD was throwing out to the crowd the few t shirts they had left for Make A Wish.

We have always supported Walk for Wishes, but have heard that most money raised goes to corporate employees instead of the children.:(

We have always supported Walk for Wishes, but have heard that most money raised goes to corporate employees instead of the children.:(

Not true!

According to easily obtained public records about 75% of all donations go directly to providing wishes.

Just off Freedom, and the hotel director said they are no longer doing Walk For Wishes, but do still have a partnership with them, and host Make a Wish families for their wishes. There was no mention of what the next charity program would be, or if there would be one.

We were on Silhouette earlier this year, and the CD was throwing out to the crowd the few t shirts they had left for Make A Wish.

That's not true. Mallory got a wish in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told MAW was ending a couple of months ago, but we did do a walk last month on Radiance. From my recent Radiance sailing (from my review):

"I thought that RCL's involvement with Make-A-Wish had stopped, so I went over to donate and asked what the deal was.... RCL still has so many T-shirts in stock that they didn't know what to do with that they simply decided to continue with the program until most everything is gone. If someone can confirm on a recent sailing on another ship whether they did the walk or not that would be great. They suspected they'll end up with boxes of small and XXL's when all said and done, and he said they've estimated January being D-day for them not to have anymore T-shirts left over (in Miami warehouse I assume??) and that'll when the Make-A-Wish walk will be officially retired."

Again, this is not first hand info from Miami but from an officer during the MAW walk on Radiance. Time will tell I guess.

Hi, Karen. Yes, I do know many children have had their wishes granted, including a family who lived across the street from us going to Disney World.

How is the Allure TA? Enjoy!

Wouldn't know. Didn't get to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Jewel's September 18th sailing they didn't do the MAW walk at all. They were throwing the shirts out at the 70's party though. I thought it was kind of weird to be throwing them out, but now that I know they are no longer doing the walk it makes sense.

Of course they did.

While no-one really wants a dirty and trashy world, it has almost gotten to the point that the "environment" is "more important" than people. That is pretty sad to me that a company would rather support oceans, birds and fish than human beings.

Except when the environment becomes unlivable no more human beings to support.

Everyone has their favorite charity. No one likes to be pushed into donating. I never felt I had to donate. Royal politely asked and let people know if they wanted to participate when & where they could purchase a tee shirt. The request was never beaten into the ground. The request was very tastefully done. If royal is not supporting MAW shame on them. I am sure Royal checked out MAW prior to offering its support. I have never heard of any child being refused. How much space does it take to hold a few boxes of tee shirts on any ship at any given time. Putting on a tee shirt and walking or running around the upper deck should in no way offend anyone with any feelings. The motivation for giving should not just be a tax deduction, either for cruisers or Royal.