What are you're favorite dishes and desserts on NCL Getaway / Breakaway?

deeleecox

I am going on NCL Getaway later this year and since I am a big time foodie, I was curious if anyone has any options on what their favorite foods were. We are thinking about doing the UDP as well, but not 100% sure. Might just pick a few and pay as we go. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 6 months later...

I almost think you can't go wrong with the dining plan because if for no other reason you avoid the masses in the large venues. I'm not a buffet girl, we have enjoyed Taste and Manhattan room, but I love the choices of the other venues. La Cucina is usually good, Moderno is one of my favorites, Bistro is good and has different choices you won't find otherwise. I really think if food is your hot button, go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is too late but Cagney's is great! We enjoy Teppanyaki and Moderno as well. Have cruised NCL 3 times and still haven't eaten in the main dining room, may switch it up on the next one and give the dining room a try LOL

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We were on the Getaway at the end of August.

Didn't eat at any of the specialty restaurants but had respectable (not amazing) food in the main dining room (though we preferred our dinners in the Tropicana Room.) The buffet is predictably average to below-average. Fine for a couple of eggs and some toast in the morning but always an inferior choice to the main dining rooms.

If you're looking for a real high-end experience you're probably going to be disappointed. It's a mass-market cruise and the food is pretty standard. Our meals were tasty and nicely presented with really good service (particularly in the Tropicana Room,) but I wasn't wishing I had any of their recipes either.

The only gripe is with the desserts--they use a LOT of gelatin. Every time I got something that was supposedly a cream-based dessert, I got a mouthful of milky gelatin. Yuck.

The Norwegian Getaway is a really nice boat though and our family had a great time regardless of the average quality of the food.

I so agree with you about the gelatin. We've been on 3 Norwegian cruises and #4 is this winter. They must own stock in gelatin. The desserts look so pretty but I don't like the consistency. However, their chocolate croissants at breakfast! Now they're a different story :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...