Following the Lewis and Clark trail

Rebel2386

Hi

Has anyone booked the American Queen Empress for the Snake/Colombia River cruise? We are on the May 14th sailing. Would love to chat with others on that cruise, or anyone who has taken this cruise in the past.

Happy Sailing...Rebecca

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Has anyone booked the American Queen Empress for the Snake/Colombia River cruise? We are on the May 14th sailing. Would love to chat with others on that cruise, or anyone who has taken this cruise in the past.

Happy Sailing...Rebecca

We sailed from Vancouver Washington to Clarkston at the beginning of October 2015. Enjoyed the river cruise immensely. Rooms, food and service was great! We wore light jackets some of the time - but would rather have this weather than the hot and humid kind. Please let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am glad to know you enjoyed the cruise. Can you tell me a bit more about the ship? Our cabin is one of the smaller ones located near the promenade.

Did you take any of the side excursions? I think the Hop On/Hop Off option looks great, given that the bus is for the passengers.

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts.

Rebecca

Thank you so much for your reply. I am glad to know you enjoyed the cruise. Can you tell me a bit more about the ship? Our cabin is one of the smaller ones located near the promenade.

Did you take any of the side excursions? I think the Hop On/Hop Off option looks great, given that the bus is for the passengers.

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts.

Rebecca

We got upgraded to Cabin 209 (deluxe verandah) - although we rarely used the balcony. Did not see any other cabin, so can't say what the others were like. We had twin beds, and still had ample room. Luggage fit under the bed and plenty of drawer and wardrobe space. Our steward always kept our room neat and clean (she also brought us ironing board/iron when asked).

At cruise check-in at the hotel, we were able to sign up for a maximum of 2 dinners in the River Grill (no additional cost). We selected two nights that we would be cruising (Monday & Friday). If I remember correctly, the dinner menu at the River Grill was the same for both nights - ok with me as I loved the lobster!

Generally we ate at River Grill (buffet style) for breakfast and lunch. Different themes daily for the lunch, but could always order hamburgers. At breakfast, you could order your choice of omelets at the grill. If weather is nice, can choose to eat open-air up there. The menu for the dining room is posted near elevator, so you can decide if you would rather eat in dining room.

Food in dining room was also good - with house wines (red & white) each evening with dinner. Can sit where you want- no assigned seating.

The Show Lounge got crowded, so for evening performances, we generally got there 15 minutes early. The Paddlewheel Lounge had bar, tables, couches, computers, popcorn machine, and piano. People played cards here, relaxed, enjoyed the library of books, watched TV (football game), or listened to piano player (usually during happy hour and/or later in evening). The Riverlorian (sp?) gave presentations - sometimes in Show Lounge and sometimes in Paddlewheel Lounge.

Excursions: we took the free HOHO at most locations. Premium excursions taken: Portland Rose City Tour (rose test garden was beautiful, but not sure roses would be in bloom in May); Multnomah Falls & Vista House (falls were gorgeous); Hell's Canyon Scenic Jet Boat Experience; and the Airport Shuttle to Spokane. I don't think I would do the Jet Boat again, as it wasn't really a jet boat, more like a 30 passenger motor boat, and not great value for the money (imo). Did really enjoy The Reach - a stop of the HOHO bus - in Richland.

I always like to find out as much as possible about my trips beforehand, so hope this amount of detail helped. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Edited by Cincylady77

Hi again,

Like you, I find out as much as I can before taking off on a trip. We've taken quite a number of cruises over the past few years and met terrific people through Cruise Critic. I had hoped others on the river cruise would log onto CC but, so far, you are the only one I've heard from. I have no illusions about an upgrade as the ship is sold out. :(

We signed up for the Jet Boat experience as supposedly one sees some incredible scenery, possible wildlife and visits the Nature Conservancy outpost. So, I was disappointed to see you do not suggest this trip. We use the Hop On/Hop Off buses in most places we visit so glad to know this is a good option.

I will check out the other tours you took. I think the Ho/Ho bus stops at the Rose Garden so probably won't do that one. We will be in Portland an extra day as this is our visit visit to that city.

I appreciate the tips on the ship - we are not vegetarians but neither of us eats meat (beef, veal, pork) or shellfish. I am glad there are options for everyone's taste and allergies (mine is dairy).

520310049_hellscanyonadventures.jpg.da446eed05b59d1181e584079c01b5bd.jpg

Not sure if this is the exact company that provided the Hell's Canyon Jet Boat tour, but it is the type of boat used. The trip was enjoyable - did not see much if any wildlife while traveling down the river and back (could be because it was in Oct); went through a set or 2 of small rapids; past the canyon walls. We did enjoy, but I think we expected more for the price paid.

Enjoy!

I think it's the same company. I have more questions, though. I am afraid of the water but don't have a problem on a larger ship, or on a boat that is covered. I do not care for sailboats or small ones like canoes or kayaks.

in the video the boat is covered and looks like it seats around 25. Is this so? And, you mentioned two small rapids...really? The description states the tour does not go over rapids.

Did you stop at the Nature Conservancy site? If yes, was it worth it?

Thank you again for helping me plan!

I think it's the same company. I have more questions, though. I am afraid of the water but don't have a problem on a larger ship, or on a boat that is covered. I do not care for sailboats or small ones like canoes or kayaks.

in the video the boat is covered and looks like it seats around 25. Is this so? And, you mentioned two small rapids...really? The description states the tour does not go over rapids.

Did you stop at the Nature Conservancy site? If yes, was it worth it?

Thank you again for helping me plan!

I remembered I took a picture of the boat - so here it is IMG_2005.jpg.f77a87202444b66356926e4e6edd9acc.jpg. Thus, it tells you the name of the company the cruise line used (Snake River Adventures). The sides of the boat had plastic that was rolled down to protect you from the wind and any splashes. Some people wanted them rolled up, but they never did that. In the very back, there was room for maybe 6 to 8 people - where you would get all the wind. Although originally I said the boat seated about 30, I think maybe it was more than that - maybe 50??

The rapids I referred to were not like you would see on most rivers - there were shallow rapids and the boat mainly had to make sure they steered around the rocks - felt like you were going over some bumps in the road. I wouldn't let those scare you off.

We did make a stop (before we turned around to head back). Can't remember the name of the place, but they had some wild turkeys in a field. We stopped for cookies, drinks and a bathroom break.

I would recommend you check out tripadvisor on this company - that may help you make up your mind. Also, here is a picture of the canyon walls I took while on the boat IMG_1999.jpg.d40dd2037a766d61a1c61e7acc7b53c9.jpg.

My wife & I will be taking this cruise going downstream in late August. I appreciate the trip review.

We have taken two cruises on the American Queen, which is much larger paddle boat, and the HOHO buses are great. There is usually two buses following the AQ, one for HOHO and one for extra cost tours.

We will be looking forward to more tour reviews.

• 1 month later...

The American empress is currently in The Dalles. This is a beautiful cruise. The dogwood trees and lilacs are blooming as are wildflowers. The hills are green and gorgeous. Hope it stays like this when you sail. I will definitely be posting a review on this site.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked the Multnomah Falls trip, the Lewis and Clark Experience and the Mt. St. Helen's premium excursions and was very happy with all of them. If you do the Multnomah Falls trip, try to sit on the "door" side of the bus to see the smaller falls as you drive by. I will be happy to answer any questions, as I just got off the boat. BTW my waiter was Smokey and he is great. Try to get him and tell him Nancy says Hi. Also Bill Ballard the chef is usually around and he is wonderful. My other waiter, John, was being promoted to The Pursers office, so that has probably already occurred. I really enjoyed the entertainment in the Paddlewheel Lounge, Ted, and the bartender there, Diamond.

I booked the Multnomah Falls trip, the Lewis and Clark Experience and the Mt. St. Helen's premium excursions and was very happy with all of them. If you do the Multnomah Falls trip, try to sit on the "door" side of the bus to see the smaller falls as you drive by. I will be happy to answer any questions, as I just got off the boat. BTW my waiter was Smokey and he is great. Try to get him and tell him Nancy says Hi. Also Bill Ballard the chef is usually around and he is wonderful. My other waiter, John, was being promoted to The Pursers office, so that has probably already occurred. I really enjoyed the entertainment in the Paddlewheel Lounge, Ted, and the bartender there, Diamond.

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for letting me know you enjoyed the cruise. We are looking forward to it, for sure. I booked two excursions - The Ultimate Northwest Experience and the Hells Canyon Jet Boat experience. We will be in Portland an extra day on our own so did not book any pre cruise option.

Did you use the hop on/hop off bus option? We plan to do that in most of the ports as I've used the buses everywhere I've traveled and always found them a good way to see a lot in a short time. How was the lecturer? How were the people on board?

I so appreciate your taking the time to "chat" with me.

Rebecca

• 2 weeks later...

We have done lots of ocean cruises but want to try something different. Since our son and his family are relocating to Portland this summer we think we'd like to do the "downstream" trip next fall (2017) instead of the Panama Canal return trip we have currently booked.

I will keep checking on this thread and try to find a roll call once we put our deposit down.

Since we live in the AZ desert we like to see some "green" a few times a year...;)

Dian

Hello ! - I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread ! - We've also been on many "big boats" - and are looking for something new and different to do - and have become really excited about booking a Steamboat cruise - on the Columbia River.

We are looking at Spring 2017 sometime.

I've been trying to read everything I can about what to expect - tips on what to do, etc. - so this thread is great !

I have found that it is best to go East to West - and found a little information about using the HO-HO bus in most ports.

The first of my dumb (!) questions - do you know if there are tables for 2 in the dining room ? - Not that we are anti-social folks, we just like the privacy of being able to dine alone every now and then.

I also did east (Clarksville) to west (Vancouver), then over to Portland for a couple of days. I do believe this is a good route as you get the miserable bus ride from Spokane down to the river out of the way at the beginning. My room was 322, a Deluxe double with a private veranda. I was traveling solo, so I had plenty of room. I wondered how an all American crew would be and let me tell you they are great! Service is impeccable. You can understand every word they say. How refreshing. Lynn, my room attendant kept the fridge full of water and replenished twice a day. The entertainment was also very good. I especially enjoyed the Nez Perce Indian who came aboard, the comedian--magician and the cowboy singer. The shows with just the cruise director and his wife were also good.

I enjoyed the Hop On Hop Off bus in every port. The museums are incredible. In a couple of ports we were greeted by members of the local HistoricalSocieties in period costumes. I could have spent a lot longer at many of them. Don't miss some of the little ones either, they are treasures. Full of local history. There was also an opportunity to visit a home. It is the Brid a Blik home and I think it is in Lewiston, your first port. The owners dress in period clothing and your tour this pretty old home filled with antiques. They even serve coffee, juice and cookies. This is exclusive to just people sailing the American Empress. It was a fun stop on the bus tour.

Hi all, DH and I sailed on the Empress from Vancouver in October, 2014 and enjoyed this cruise a tremendous amount! While there were issues with dock scheduling that were frustrating, we would book again in a minute - going West this time, IF the extraordinary pianist/entertainer Frank Chase is still performing in the Paddlewheel lounge. Do any of you know?

In addition to the the superb entertainment, we enjoyed the Riverlorean, our balcony room, all the staff, and especially the food. We have cruised many times on "big boats" and have never had better than the food on this trip! To any of you considering sailing on the American Empress, I say "go for it!" I am sure that the issues I referred to regarding shore stops have been resolved by now as 2014 was AQSC's first year sailing this itinerary.

Cheers