CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Country Inns web site - prepay King - $126.65 + 25.97 = $153.62

Regular King - $149.00 + 30.55 = $179.55

Aa.com King/2 queens - $120.74 + 24.75 = $145.49

Last Minute Travel. King/2queens - $104.29 + 21.38 = $125.67

This is pay now, cancellable up to 3 days ahead

If I can make it through London on public transit with luggage (Liverpool Station, St Pancreas, & Heathrow), you can do it in New York!! Accessible options are much better in the US than the UK.

Thanks Carol, that is a so incredibly helpful - you have probably saved us a small fortune!! :)

Thanks Carol, that is a so incredibly helpful - you have probably saved us a small fortune!! :)

Just so you know, I have actually done all the things I've recommended. I went on a last minute 3 day cruise on Anthem in March and booked Country Inns through Last Minute Travel with no problems. I've also taken the light rail/PATH several times on different routes to and from Cape Liberty.

Feel free to post back with any questions.

- How to buy light rail tickets

- How to buy NJ Transit train tickets (Penn Station New York to Newark Airport)

NJ Transit - train and light rail - http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Regional rail map - train, light rail, PATH - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Path - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Back from Bermuda yesterday after a week on the NCL Breakaway, an excellent cruise and one of the smoothest sailing, sea conditions were ideal/perfect, 1 to 2 ft. seas and at times 5 ft. - for a very limited time crossing frontals, 7 to 9 ft. seas.

We booked Carmel 12 hours ahead for 9:30 AM, Sunday pickup at our house - had it on the free mobile Carmel app on Android/Nexus 5X smartphone (car/driver info to be shown 30 minutes before pickup) - northeast of LGA airport, fare quoted was $44.00 for a standard 4 door sedan, with a $3 online coupon code plus tolls & tip - 2 passenger & 3 luggage (2X 22" expandable roller, one 22" eBag Motherlode convertible/expandable carryon and a small 18" cabin roller)

Looked out from our LR windows upstairs, driver was 10 minutes early & said he was in the area after an airport run, already took his own break, wash the car & refueled and patiently waited about 6 or 7 minutes while we put our shoes on - help loaded our luggage into his air conditioned Lincoln towncar, huge trunk & could've easily fit 2 more 22" rollers. We rolled down our block at 9:29 AM and off to Manhattan Cruise Terminal - typically a 30 to 45 minutes ride, depending on routing & traffic/road conditions, etc. (usually via Queens Midtown Tunnel or RFK Bridge, both with toll or via Ed Koch/59th Street Bridge, toll-less & usually the slowest)

Driver said if we are fine with toll, he has a faster routing at no extra charge - and, he got us to Pier 88 in 30 minutes, plus 5 extra minutes due to NYPD & ship security as we approach the parking/dropoff area. He headed north with a detour - instead of southeast toward LIE (I-495) or Grand Central Parkway (passing LGA enroute usually) - took Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, west on Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95 South) moving at/above speed limit flowing with very light moving traffic (this is the route that we here on CC "routinely" avoid due to commercial/heavy trucks & bus/pax vehicle traffic 24/7/365) - down the West Side Hwy, keeping right at W. 57th Street for pier entrance - dropping us off downstairs near the elevator/escalator entrance into the terminal (usually, they are directed upstairs to 2nd. level.) Total came to $41 net + $5.67 (EZ-Pass toll rate/$8 for cash) plus a generous 20%+ tip.

Driver was using Waze for navigation & I was checking with Google Nav, both displayed the I-95 to West Side Hwy, real-time routing as the fastest & best recommended, as it usually offered Queens Midtown Tunnel or RFK Bridge to the West Side Hwy via 125th Street, for weekend mornings.

Checking in - BA was only ship in port - was easy as always, dropped the bags with porters & headed inside for VIP lanes once past security, etc. and virtually no wait in getting our keycards, etc.

We returned yesterday (Sunday) with the BA and the NCL GEM, close to 8,000 disembarking at Pier 88 and Pier 90 respectively, and equal # embarking & many already arriving at 8:30 AM. Fleetweek & there was extra police presence in pier area, even a few uniformed on-duty National Guards on 12th Avenue - a mobile NYPD command post/truck parked across the street, and, traffic was heavy & vehicles on side streets, like W. 48th & 49th St, etc.

We had Priority Disembark scheduled for 9 to 9:15 AM - +/- 15 minutes, Express Self-Walkoff began their long journey before 8 AM using FWD & AFT gangways (AFT is closer to escalator & single elevator for accessible/special needs) We're on the gangway as our color was called about 8:25 and using porter's services, our express trip out to 12th Avenue in less than 25 minutes - easily 300 to 400+ pax in the regular CBP lanes waiting to be processed with their customs declaration & travel documents, while we zipped thru.

Walked across 12th Avenue to the yellow Taxi Stand, there was a mob of people standing on the sidewalk but it turned out, none of them were waiting for taxi services - either to be picked up by private vehicles, saw a few Carmel & Dial 7 cars/minivans on W. 48th Street waiting - being #3 for getting into a taxi, we took the option & skipped calling/booking Carmel for the trip home, as we usually do otherwise.

Jump into the next yellow taxi, a Toyota Camry, easily fitted our luggage & off across midtown Manhattan, down 2nd. Avenue & took the Midtown Tunnel to Queens for the LIE - no traffic whatsoever at 9:30 AM even at the Maspeth/GCP interchange - commuter's bottleneck with lanes merging - for the Van Wyck Expressway (I-678) for home, arriving in about 30 minutes - woohoo. Metered fares including the EZ-Pass toll came to just under $49, plus $11 tip (20% rounded up) for $60 to the happy taxi driver.

Our south Brooklyn friends who priority disembarked with us had a much longer wait using the regular mass CBP lines to clear their re-entry as their pre-scheduled pickup was 10 AM, and they're home about 11 AM (in the direction of JFK via the Belt Parkway ... the long way to airport, another 20+ minutes that morning). Drivers heading toward the pier yesterday morning reported heavier than usual traffic in the area and extra congestions due to street closure (parade, I believe.)

For LGA, given TSA/airport security's backlogging lately - 12 noon flight would be possible but still risky with Pre-Check, 1 PM or later would be much safer. JFK domestic flight - 12:30 or even 1 PM would be possible with Pre-check & 2 PM or later would safer. Add 30 minutes for a lunch stop in the terminal before transportation.

Our semi live blog on Bermuda 5/22-5/29/2016 on the BA is linked here - we didn't used the paid WiFi at Dockyard or in Hamilton, and had coverage island-wide on "Fi Network" by Google (Sprint & T-Mobile) used almost 200MB of 3G cellular data for under $2 USD - $10 per GB of international data (just like "domestic" data, no surcharge but slower than 4G-LTE) as it was recognized by "Digicel" as being in Jamaica ... LOL :p - in Hamilton & St. George's and even while onboard SeaExpress fast CAT ferry in the waters.

Questions or comments on staying connected and/or Bermuda, please go to the blogging thread. Just sharing mainly our transportation experience here in NYC as a native, as some questioned about services with Dial7 and/or Carmel - we unconditionally recommend, endorse & personally use and will do it again.

Happy & safe travel on Memorial Day and thankful to our armed forces in serving & protecting all.

Anyone have any tips for us getting off the NJ turnpike headed to Cape Liberty? How is the construction at the exit? I just stay to the left and follow the signs to 440 South, right? I'll be coming thru the 10-10:30 on Thursday. Thanks.

Anyone have any tips for us getting off the NJ turnpike headed to Cape Liberty? How is the construction at the exit? I just stay to the left and follow the signs to 440 South, right? I'll be coming thru the 10-10:30 on Thursday. Thanks.

These are still the recommended directions as far as I know. Perhaps one of our local posters can give us an update.

Hi, first time sailing out of Cape Liberty. I am staying at the Fairfield Inn by the Newark Airport and was wondering on Thursday how long it would take to get to the pier? I think it's a short distance but wasn't sure about traffic. Is a cab the best way to go?

thanks

Hi, first time sailing out of Cape Liberty. I am staying at the Fairfield Inn by the Newark Airport and was wondering on Thursday how long it would take to get to the pier? I think it's a short distance but wasn't sure about traffic. Is a cab the best way to go?

thanks

It's about 20 minutes without traffic. If you wait until 10-10:30AM to be picked up at the hotel, the cab or Uber should get you there with no problems.

These are still the recommended directions as far as I know. Perhaps one of our local posters can give us an update.

Coming out of the Turnpike interchange, stay all the way to the left through the toll plaza to get onto 440 now. They do change which lanes put you on 440 or Avenue E.

If you wind up on Ave E instead, don't worry! Continue straight on E until you hit 45th St. Make a left and at the stop sign, make a right on Chosin Few Way. Take that to the end, make a left, you're on the road into the cruise port.

It's about 20 minutes without traffic. If you wait until 10-10:30AM to be picked up at the hotel, the cab or Uber should get you there with no problems.

Thank you!! Do you know if there are long lines to get into the port? I was planning on leaving the hotel around 11:00 am we have a check in time of noon. If there will be long lines I can get there earlier

Thank you!! Do you know if there are long lines to get into the port? I was planning on leaving the hotel around 11:00 am we have a check in time of noon. If there will be long lines I can get there earlier

That is peak time. Go earlier. Don't worry about the checkin time. If you're early, you can check your luggage and walk over to the 911 memorial and get views of the harbor and take pictures of the ship. You can also go through security and check in. If they're boarding you can just walk on the ship.

That is peak time. Go earlier. Don't worry about the checkin time. If you're early, you can check your luggage and walk over to the 911 memorial and get views of the harbor and take pictures of the ship. You can also go through security and check in. If they're boarding you can just walk on the ship.

Thank you for your help

We will be coming from Upstate NY in a rental car. I guess we have to drop it off at EWR. What is the best way for two people to get to the boat from the airport?

You can take the Airtrain back to one of the terminals to get a cab or you can book a car service to pick you up at the car rental, but you should be confident of your arrival time so you don't pay wait time charges. Uber might be an option as well. Expect to pay in the $55-65 range.

We had a fantastic time on Summit.

I will share our experience with other drivers from the south:

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Rahway off exit 10 of the NJ turnpike. It was clean, neighborhood seemed safe, and it was just under 30 minutes to Cape Liberty.

We drove from Washington DC and tolls were $28 and some change. The lines at the toll booths were not bad. We were never more than the fourth car in a line. Eat before NJ. The turnpike plazas were dirty and the food looked nasty.

We got off at 14A and there were many signs directing us to the port. We had gotten very lost on prior trips over 5 years ago and this time it was easy to find.

We dropped off suitcases and then parked in the port garage. We got there about 10:00. The first level was blocked off but less than a fourth full. The second floor was mostly full. We went to the third and got a corner spot. I looked out from the ship at 11 and the top was totally empty and the third and fourth had cars but nowhere near full. When we sailed the roof was still empty.

When we got off the ship I stood at the curb with luggage while hubby got car. Not crowded at all.

There were about ten customs agents working as opposed to 2 or 3 in Fort Lauderdale. Our color was called at 8:10 and we walked off, found suitcases, went through customs/immigration, and were in car at 8:30. World record for us:)

I want to thank the ones who post here frequently. Your advice was much appreciated.

When you come into the cruise port area you travel down a very long two-lane road out to the pier. Once you're out there the personnel will direct you. It's all very efficient, they show you exactly where to go for drop off and parking is right there.

Cape Liberty is a very long peninsula. It's about 2 miles from the entrance to the terminal/pier area. No way to get lost, but the traffic can back up. Bring your patience!

Good morning 138east your posts have been most informative. We will be taking the Path train from 33 St to Hoboken then Light Rail to Bayonne 34 St station. Is there a cab stand outside the train station ?

Also at Cape Liberty when we disembark will there be a line of cabs to take us back to 34 street station?

Thank you

Good morning 138east your posts have been most informative. We will be taking the Path train from 33 St to Hoboken then Light Rail to Bayonne 34 St station. Is there a cab stand outside the train station ?

Also at Cape Liberty when we disembark will there be a line of cabs to take us back to 34 street station?

Thank you

You have to call a cab. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for them to come. I've always done this between 10 and 10:30 am.

There are two places to be picked up at the station - Avenue E or the parking lot. Be sure the taxi dispatcher is clear about the pick up point. For the parking lot pickup you have to take the elevator up to the skywalk to cross the tracks to take the elevator down to the parking lot. For Avenue E you can just walk out to the street where there is a bench.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

When you disembark, you go to the taxi dispatcher and tell them you want a shuttle to the light rail station. You may have to wait a few minutes. There are always miscellaneous folks on the ship who want to go to the local shopping center.

You have to call a cab. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for them to come. I've always done this between 10 and 10:30 am.

There are two places to be picked up at the station - Avenue E or the parking lot. Be sure the taxi dispatcher is clear about the pick up point. For the parking lot pickup you have to take the elevator up to the skywalk to cross the tracks to take the elevator down to the parking lot. For Avenue E you can just walk out to the street where there is a bench.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

When you disembark, you go to the taxi dispatcher and tell them you want a shuttle to the light rail station. You may have to wait a few minutes. There are always miscellaneous folks on the ship who want to go to the local shopping center.

Thank you so much ImageUploadedByForums1464782526.115882.jpg.ef31511a7de682e3455f915d7bc9d8d3.jpg

Coming in this Sunday, June 5, any reports on the Skyway and the Bayonne Bridge...

I eee you list locations in NJ and PA, in which case there's almost no chance that you'll need to take either the Bayonne Bridge or the Skyway to get to Cape Liberty. Nor would any closures be likely to generate any significant amount of traffic on other nearby routes on Sunday, when traffic in that area is usually at its lightest.

The Bayonne Bridge will be closed but you'll never notice it.

Edited by njhorseman

Coming in this Sunday, June 5, any reports on the Skyway and the Bayonne Bridge...

Bayonne Bridge is closed Friday, June 3, 11:59 p.m. around-the-clock until 5 a.m., Monday, June. The Pulaski Skyway will also be fully closed this weekend. You should be fine, though.