crown princess boarding delayed 4-18??

marcyjane

Yes it's because they are doing a deep cleaning due to norovirus. Honestly I've been expecting it. We were on a couple of weeks ago and my entire family got ill despite all of our precautions. At that point we became aware that there were a number of other cases onboard, although not widespread. It was kept very, very quiet unless you were one of those affected. But knowing how infectious noro is my expectation was that likely the cases would keep increasing on subsequent voyages and it appears that is what happened. Let's hope the deep cleaning does the trick and gets rid of that nasty bug. It is truly awful!

We have friends boarding today and they received the following:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

CROWN PRINCESS PRE-BOARDING HEALTH ADVISORY

Please be advised that during the current cruise there has been a slightly higher than expected number of cases of gastrointestinal illness among guests suspected to be caused by norovirus. Throughout the cruise we have been carrying out a comprehensive sanitation program and although case numbers remain relatively low, in an abundance of caution we have arranged for the ship to undergo an additional disinfection in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 18, 2015. Check-in for your cruise will be delayed until 2:00 PM. Please do not arrive earlier than 1:30 PM as the terminal will be closed for sanitation and there will be no seating or services available. To minimize terminal congestion we use a progressive check-in schedule as follows:

2:00 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks: Cabins begin with D or E

2:45 PM - Caribe and Riviera Decks: Cabins begin with C or R

3:30 PM - Aloha and Lido Decks: Cabins begin with A or L

4:15 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins begin with B or P

Crown Princess is expected to depart Los Angeles at 6:00 PM.

Yes it's because they are doing a deep cleaning due to norovirus. Honestly I've been expecting it. We were on a couple of weeks ago and my entire family got ill despite all of our precautions. At that point we became aware that there were a number of other cases onboard, although not widespread. It was kept very, very quiet unless you were one of those affected. But knowing how infectious noro is my expectation was that likely the cases would keep increasing on subsequent voyages and it appears that is what happened. Let's hope the deep cleaning does the trick and gets rid of that nasty bug. It is truly awful!

We have friends boarding today and they received the following:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Please be advised that during the current cruise there has been a slightly higher than expected number of cases of gastrointestinal illness among guests suspected to be caused by norovirus. Throughout the cruise we have been carrying out a comprehensive sanitation program and although case numbers remain relatively low, in an abundance of caution we have arranged for the ship to undergo an additional disinfection in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 18, 2015. Check-in for your cruise will be delayed until 2:00 PM. Please do not arrive earlier than 1:30 PM as the terminal will be closed for sanitation and there will be no seating or services available. To minimize terminal congestion we use a progressive check-in schedule as follows:

Will the Noro issue on the Crown ever be fixed? Seems like at least every other month the Crown is being hit with the Noro Virus. Makes you wonder if it has evevr been completely been with of the bug???

Here is a post from from someone informing about delay on Crown Princess and another deep cleaning for Noro Virus on the ship today:

<<<<<<<<We have friends boarding today and they received the following:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Here is my impression based on some conversations with crew who confided in us on our recent cruise - it is an ongoing problem on the Crown. I think they control it as best as they can keeping it to a very small number on most cruises. But as long as there is a human host as there always is between crew and passengers it seems like they just can't ever eradicate completely for whatever reason. So what happens is that as much as they try to minimize it, eventually the cases start to grow, which then leads to more cases until they are back to another code red and deep clean or two like what is happening today. And after that the numbers drop to just a small amount again until the next blow up. But it is never really completely gone. Just my take based on what we learned when dealing with our own unfortunate experience.

Edited by karatemom2

This is still spring break season, thus lots of kids putting their hands everywhere. On our cruise 4-4 to 4-11, we had over 600 kids on board on the Crown. No nor virus during that cruise but it doesn't surprise me at all they have it now. Of course it may not have been a kid at all spreading it around, but an adult just as well.

It was on the 3/28 cruise in small numbers as my family and I can sadly attest and I imagine the numbers have been slowly creeping up each cruise until it has now reached some more significant numbers. And certainly having lots of kids onboard the past few weeks would help to spread it around I imagine. But it seems to be an ongoing problem for the Crown.

There was a Bon Voyage Experience scheduled for today on the Crown. Does anyone know what is going to happen to the people who have paid for this and now it appears they won't be allowed on board in time for lunch or touring the ship?

I'm sure Princess notified them by phone that it would be canceled. Any money paid would be given back. It's happened before.

Edited by waltd

There was a Bon Voyage Experience scheduled for today on the Crown. Does anyone know what is going to happen to the people who have paid for this and now it appears they won't be allowed on board in time for lunch or touring the ship?

I would imagine they would be refunded.

OK, this thread leads me to my next question.

We had planned on arriving about 1:00 for boarding next week (despite the suggested arrival time of 2:45 Princess gave us). If boarding is again delayed, should we then go with the new suggested time for boarding? Or do all you with more experience than I have feel that arriving earlier than that time will still be OK.

OK, this thread leads me to my next question.

We had planned on arriving about 1:00 for boarding next week (despite the suggested arrival time of 2:45 Princess gave us). If boarding is again delayed, should we then go with the new suggested time for boarding? Or do all you with more experience than I have feel that arriving earlier than that time will still be OK.

If you get the deep cleaning noro email (post #3) then they will stick to the new boarding times. If there is no emergency email then it will be the standard spiel of arriving later to avoid the crowds.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Being on the royal just a few weeks ago with the same problem, just watching people pass the fellow at the lido asking people to wash hands in sink, and so many say either they did I there room or they will use the hand sanitizer and walk by it.some were so rued. Just please wash your hands. How much are you in a hurry to get your face full. Keep safe and wash.