CLIA has ordered a ‘Industry Operational Safety Review

2010_cruisers

Cruise Industry Announces Operational Safety Review

CLIA_logo-300x117.jpg

Cruise Industry Announces Operational Safety Review

January 31, 2012 By

In response to the Costa Concordia incident, CLIA (Cruise Line Industry Association) has ordered a ‘Cruise Industry Operational Safety Review’ of their 26 member cruise lines.

Key components of the Review include:

1. An internal review by CLIA members of their own operational safety practices and procedures concerning issues of navigation, evacuation, emergency training, and related practices and procedures.
  2. Consultation with independent external experts.
  3. Identification and sharing of industry best practices and policies, as well as possible recommendations to the IMO for substantive regulatory changes to further improve the industry’s operational safety.
  4. Collaboration with the IMO, governments and regulatory bodies to implement any necessary regulatory changes.

After the review the results will be shared with CLIA board members and recommendations will be made as necessary and on an on-going basis.

:)

From what we have learned from this tragedy so far, what NEW ideas do you have (or any random thoughts-suggestions-ideas on safety, etc)?
Only thing that springs to mind is that perhaps all lifejackets should now be stored at lifeboat stations instead of individually in pax cabins. no more of this silly stuff

where one must go back down to Deck 1 to get yours. just get yourself to the lifeboat station and be issued a jacket at that point.

Oasis and Allure are already doing this Im told. That, and all lifeboat drills must be done before casting off mooring ropes, not after

Only thing that springs to mind is that perhaps all lifejackets should now be stored at lifeboat stations instead of individually in pax cabins. no more of this silly stuff

where one must go back down to Deck 1 to get yours. just get yourself to the lifeboat station and be issued a jacket at that point.

Oasis and Allure are already doing this Im told. That, and all lifeboat drills must be done before casting off mooring ropes, not after

I totally agree. I don't think people should be sent back to cabins when there is an emergency. They should go straight to muster stations and life jackets should be stored there somehow. It's not right to send people to their cabins on those lower decks and bottom of the ship.

**** If anyone wishes to view the list we have created, here is what we have gathered from this site, emails, other sites and videos of maritime people. ** This was started because of the captions ro Costa moves to go closer ( the very 1st suggesstion was ot have smarter and less-ego manic capt., or ones that stayed on board during a evacuation) but these ideas are other ones.

Disclaimer: before everyone laughs or bashes all these ideas...they are a bunch of random thoughts from people from all wlaks of life, expertise and current curisers (who have never pnce had a life or death expereince on baord). These are not martime captions, scients, architects, engeinners, technians or safety regulators. These are not navy seals, tug boat operators or lawyers specializing in cruise line litigation; these are just emotional and caring people all over the world with ideas. These are just thoughts on what people have sent us and we are passing them on (ok):

Possible NEW cruise ship-line safety suggestions:

11) NEW design; Large ship stabilizers. Some people suggested that more fist have the perfect size stabilizer or fins...but cruise ships do not calculate the proper size for the height, width and weight. Larger or new design stabilizers may help keep a ship that is taking on water - or has rougher seas - causing injuries on board, that may help super-stabilize the ships.

10) Having more than enough and all life jackets on higher decks already at muster stations and for their to be more than enough for all crew and passnegers to whatever would be full capacity and by 10% more.

09) New technology or life and deployment issue for Lifeboats can be deployed at up to a 45-50% angle and Not the 20% maximum angle (just in case a ship lists to a more drastic-acute angle) everyone can be saved and more boats can be used,

08) New technology to have a ship create a rotation or train like system that allows lifeboats on one side of the ship to be sent to the other side of the ship (like a carousel or a dry laundry system to find your shirts/clothes), a life boat that is needed on the opposite side that is now going up on an angle....still can be used as it is sent to the other side.

07) Illuminated and WIDER rope ladders: It seems most ships had 1 at work for thousands of people instead of say 10-20 Auto-rope ladders to be help people into the sea-ocean if the ship is going down fast, people who are too scared to wait....or strong enough can get to the water without having to jump.

06) A Re-design of better life jackets with more features: brighter lights, a water poach for personal documents or passport-cards, a light blanket). Some thought of a power bar for a snack (something than can last for years), and a flare - in case they got away from their family. One person suggestion that each life jacket have a GPS on it.

05) TOP DECK ROPE-LINk n CLIP System. if for some reason people are up high and there is almost no time to get down to lower decks, to have a rope and clip system so people can attach themselves to the highest deck (like what people wear when they install or build a roof on a house). Some also, said if a fmaily was tethered together, so that little children or fragile members would not fall to far, etc.

04) A less large and heavy life boats system and more personal-size ones if and/or when they last few passengers / crews are still on board with the ship is at a more dangerous angel. One that could deploy a life boat - self inflates, can have a small rood, has reflections, a water supply and can hold up to 7-8 passengers (they can be given out people out) once the ship is at a more drastic angel like 75-90%. They may be attached to the ship with rope, let people get in and then off the ship.

03) A quick safe - urgent : Ship Listing prevention system. As the ship violently moves back and forth or starts to tilt...a system is deployed 1st to stabilize one side of the ship (like outrigger counter-balance system). Suggested that it comes out from the top and bottom of one side and they are deployed in a link to link system like they have hey may be attached to the ship with rope, let people get in and then off the ship. It has been described to us like a piece of heavy metals comes out and each new piece is link to the next to act like a stabilizer that goes the length of the ship. This would have to be a whole NEW ship safety design.

02) SMART lights that worked in all weather conditions. Not having light down corridors, hallways, and on the side of the water would of help people feel a little but more at ease if they at least saw things. In dark - no light situations, they lights could go to flood. In brighter-high reflection situations - it can go to deflect and diffusion mode, in intense fog and turbidity- it goes to visual stabilize. They could be on life jackets or things people could grab along areas.

01) Sensors on the bottom of the ship that would auto-info if they ship has a gash, hole or the the mid-section of the ship have major damage. Also to have a underwater cameras that can sense things 100 yards or more away, just in case MAPS for navigators-captains are old, not a sup tpo date or if new formations (or things can be in the way) in shallower or dangerous waters.

----------------

If any of you have smarter, better, or more well thought out ideas - please share. Thank you.

ideas # 12 and 13.

13) Have everyone sail pass card (with id) also have a GPS on it. The manifest in some ways always knows where they are, and fi they are in dirtiness or NOT near a muster station when called - they can be located before a major energy or ship-malfunction.

12) New Smart elevators that work on battery and power generated from sunlight. These special needs elevators will 1st take the less able-bodied. They are battery operated elevator for disabled, fragile, wounded, or scooter-based patrons to get lowered into the life boats.

I don't swim. Before my first cruise I asked about having to go back to the cabin for life vest. The answer was NO NEED, that the white boxes on the promenade deck had life vests in them. When I cruised I looked for them. (and on other lines), the boxes and locks look like the would be very easy to break into, if there was an emergency and no key was to be found. The boxes were also labeled ..life vests

Check out the NEWS section of Cruise Critic. Holland America, citing more stringent rules since the Concordia accident, debarked a passenger this past weekend for refusing to attend the scheduled muster prior to sailing. About time everybody got SERIOUS about emergency procedures. ---- Penny

Check out the NEWS section of Cruise Critic. Holland America, citing more stringent rules since the Concordia accident, debarked a passenger this past weekend for refusing to attend the scheduled muster prior to sailing. About time everybody got SERIOUS about emergency procedures. ---- Penny

Well, if 'emergency procedures' are being changed, modified, enforced, enhanced - that is a start.:)

Check out the NEWS section of Cruise Critic.

Holland America, citing more stringent rules since the Concordia accident,

debarked a passenger this past weekend for refusing to attend the scheduled muster prior to sailing. ===> Is he nuts??

About time everybody got SERIOUS about emergency procedures. ----

Welcome news!

This may interest you, it would seem delaying reports is a problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16823955

Just another example of Costa/CCL climate that contributes to unsafe practices going forward. And yet another example of why they need more than a "slap on the wrist" to create a climate of change and increased passenger safety...

Just another example of Costa/CCL climate that contributes to unsafe practices going forward. And yet another example of why they need more than a "slap on the wrist" to create a climate of change and increased passenger safety...
With any luck Costa Cruises will die soon. I imagine Carnival Corp. Miami is currently viewing Costa as a HUUUGE millstone around its neck,

and the sooner CCL can bury the whole sad affair the better off the parent Corp. will be in the long run! but itll be years of downhill before the uphill can begin

Dme&Tranq let me float this for fun, in the UK we have a charge of Corporate Manslaughter. I would if I was the Italian prosecutor in the Schettino manslaughter trial ask the Judge to order the disclosure of this document.I presume that the companies reluctance to do so does not relate to the quality of food served.It would be very interesting if it contains any lessons that should have been implemented and could have mitigated this current disaster. I would then follow the paper trail.

The Costa brand does seem to be becoming toxic.

On a lighter note we have a rumor over here that Schettino attended a Berlusconi Bunga Bunga dressed as a mermaid.

The first step is getting the IMO to change their goofball regulations... We have a bunch of suits sitting in a cushy office in London who have no idea what they're doing. Maybe if they spent some time in the awful conditions that some of our Seafarers are being held hostage in by Somali pirates we'll get some welcome change from those suits. But that's not really relevant to this conversation, just my rant...

Now, the issue is you have people writing regulations when they hardly spent any time on any vessel. I know the industry can do better than what it's allowed to do, they have the right people.

On merchant vessels half the rules go out the window and our their internal audits were far more structured and had a clearer goal describing what's necessary. The IMO dances around as any UN organization does, accomplishing nothing.

Here's a question for everyone: Do you trust an organization that preaches safety, but turns a blind eye to seafarers that have been held as hostages, threatened with murder, beat up, and even had limbs severed, with hardly anything being said about it by these supposed guardians and lawmakers of the sea?

I'll keep my answer a secret...

The first step is getting the IMO to change their goofball regulations... We have a bunch of suits sitting in a cushy office in London who have no idea what they're doing. Maybe if they spent some time in the awful conditions that some of our Seafarers are being held hostage in by Somali pirates we'll get some welcome change from those suits. But that's not really relevant to this conversation, just my rant...

Now, the issue is you have people writing regulations when they hardly spent any time on any vessel. I know the industry can do better than what it's allowed to do, they have the right people.

On merchant vessels half the rules go out the window and our their internal audits were far more structured and had a clearer goal describing what's necessary. The IMO dances around as any UN organization does, accomplishing nothing.

Here's a question for everyone: Do you trust an organization that preaches safety, but turns a blind eye to seafarers that have been held as hostages, threatened with murder, beat up, and even had limbs severed, with hardly anything being said about it by these supposed guardians and lawmakers of the sea?

I'll keep my answer a secret...

Such international organisations exist in that weird other-world of idealistic Political Correctness

where everyone theoretically does as they should

-but not as humanity has been acting (true-to-form) for the last few millenia! ;)

Such international organisations exist in that weird other-world of idealistic Political Correctness

where everyone theoretically does as they should

-but not as humanity has been acting (true-to-form) for the last few millenia! ;)

Yeah, maybe I'm expecting too much. Though now that I'm in aviation which is also loaded with government regulation, but it seems to make more sense. Probably because the people writing these rules actually seem to know what they're talking about.

Yeah, maybe I'm expecting too much.

Though now that I'm in aviation which is also loaded with government regulation, but it seems to make more sense.

Probably because the people writing these rules actually seem to know what they're talking about.

Aviation safety has to be taken more seriously than other modes of transportation

because planes crash very quickly, plus there ain't no floating around or waiting by the side of the freeway

until help arrives.

Lusitania sank very quickly -in 18 minutes

but I think most aircraft crash in more like 18 secs (OK maybe a bit longer).

Bear in mind what Sammy Davis Jr. quipped, when asked about his travel preferences...

Q: Ship or Plane, Sammy?

A: Let me put it this way,fella...I can swim a little, but I can't fly at all.

Sammy put it in perspective for us.

Yeah, maybe I'm expecting too much. Though now that I'm in aviation which is also loaded with government regulation, but it seems to make more sense. Probably because the people writing these rules actually seem to know what they're talking about.

I agree with this assessment of IMO. Lots of good intentions, but common sense and political correctness get in the way. Asside from the piracy issue, the recent STCW, ISM, and ISPS conventions have only made a lot of work for auditors and inspectors who go over documents and paperwork that actually takes time away from those who are trying to get the job done. The thrust of these conventions is to find out who to blame when something goes wrong, not to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Archived