40 lbs by Sept 2005

npmadsen

I'm in.We cruise Sept.18 in Alaska.Was thinking of Atkins or low carb.Also might join Gym.All i know is none of my good clothes fit from last cruise 2 years ago.My wife looks great but i'm packing an extra 40 to 50 LBS.

Hey everyone! I don't get to cruise this year since we're adopting a new baby but Sept. 10 is my Birthday so I'm in! 40 pounds would put me almost to my goal. I'm doing Southbeach for the most part and have already lost 30 pounds. Tried low fat/high carb for years and put on weight every time, but I know everyone's body works differently.

Tami

oh - and my trainer says to eat as much protein in the day as the weight you WANT to be.

For instance: If you want to be 140 - eat 140 grams of protein...

Less carbs and more protein and working out should make you lose weight. She has lost a ton and is down from 270 to whatever her weight is now but she looks fantastic!

Wow, that's alot of protein. The low carb books I use say to divide that number by half as your minimum. Good to know that they're still talking lower carb in the fitness world. It's certainly helped me to feel better and lose 30 pounds.

Tami

Okay I'm in too! I cruise September 25th and want to lose at least 40lbs. How and what do we do?? I've already lost 11 in the last three weeks. Trying to combine weight watchers and being sensible. ie.. smaller portions, stopping eating three hours before bed time and the biggie.....NO SODA!! I work a full time and part time job so I try to squeeze in 3 days at the gym but I'm not always successful. Happy cruising, Jill

Jill- you should grab a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps a day if you can't make it to the gym. I bought a cheapie at Walmart for $4 and used it while I was caring for my Grandma the first 4 months of this year. Some days I got closer to 15-16,000 and some days I was walking laps around my house to get the 10K but I'm convinced it's why I was able to deal with all that stress, not eat the best and still maintain and then eventually lose 4 pounds.

With two jobs you'll probably be surprised at how quickly you rack up steps. Supposedly, BTW, 10,000 is the same as 30 minutes of cardio.

Tami

Ok I'm in too. Goals are to lose 55 lbs total. So far I'm down 15 in about 4 weeks ( ALOT of that was waterweight) .

I'm doing the 3 hour diet. You only eat 1450 calories a day to start with but you eat every 3 hours. You can eat anything but they suggest you stick with lean protein, lots and lots of veggies, and whole grain foods.

I eat my last meal usually about 7:30 and about 9:00 or so I can treat myself to a piece of dark chocolate.

I'm also going to the gym more-- at least 3 times week and trying to make that 4-5X.

Good luck to all of us!!!

Great seems like we have a good group here.

I am doing Richard Simmons and exercising.

I have dropped 8 lbs in a week and a half. I know a lot of water but still makes me feel better when I look at the scale.

I think any diet works as long as you commit to it and exercise.

Eileen

this is my fourth week and I am feeling very weak!! I am also pmsing really bad. I don't know if I want to scream, yell, cry or eat. I want potato chips!!!!! Thanks for listening, if I type I can't eat. Jill:(

:( Okay I know I'm rambling...has anyone found any good, salty, low fat, great tasting, crunchy chip substitue?? I REALLY want chips. Not just one or two either! Jill:o

Jill- How brave are you? I don't eat potatoes but when I get a real craving for crackers or chips (usually it's really for the dip) I make turnip chips. I slice them very thinly, spritz with cooking spray and sprinkle them with kosher salt (I like the big piece of salt.) The I put them in the oven at about 175 or 200 and let them dry. they really taste kind of salty sweet.

Another thing I like are Terra chips, especially the mediterranean flavor. They still have some fat but are lower in calories and especially carbs than pringles.

Hang in there. Another couple of days and you'll be back to normal.

Tami

:) Tami thanks for the advice. I don't think I've ever seen terra chips around here. Come to think of it I don't know if I've ever seen turnip here either. I live pretty close to the Mexican border so there isn't much cold root foods. I actually feel much better today already. Put on some shorts and helped DH uproot a LARGE cactus we had growing in the back yard. It actually filled the back of our pickup when we were done. Now all I have to do is pull all those tiny stickers out of my fingers. LOL.

Jill

We cruise September 3rd and I would like to lose 30 pounds before then. I have started doing Tae-boe, eating healthy and in moderation, and taking the stairs all the time (I work on the 4th floor in our building). I wore a pedometer for a while and made it to 6,000 steps; I think I will aim for 10,000 a day.

Frito Lay has done a great job with coming up with their LIGHT potato chip line. They have flavored or plain Lays/Ruffles, or plain Tostitos, or Doritos style, and you can't tell that they are diet chips!

I have been eating better for a year now also eating small portions every three hours, and now I am also doing more cardio. Commitment is the hardest. We women want to just sit around and melt the pounds off that way. If I want to loose weight faster, I keep the three hour diet going, and wake up in the middle of the night to eat again..

Jill- in the scheme of things in Texas, you don't live too far from my brother. He's stationed at Ft. Hood for the moment. I'm sure he'll be back to someplace lovely like Iraq or Afghanistan in a few months.

Messy Jessy- You'll be amazed at how much keeping track of your steps really helps. I'm convinced it's why I didn't gain weight while my Grandma was in the hospital this winter. Some days I was getting 15-16,000. :eek:

Ski bunny- BEWARE of the chips made with Olestra. They can cause severe gastrointestinal upset in up to 30% of the people who eat them.

I had a rough eating weekend but I've committed to working out every day in May. I have a goal of 5 pounds for the month. That would put me to 203.

Tami

I'm in!!! we go to Alaska September 17th.. I started Weight Watchers 4 weeks ago.. Have lost 9 lbs.. tooo slow.. need to loose 20 more.. going slowwww... I have found a new food.. Called "Smart Ones", the Spagetti is soooo good!! Its pretty good size, somewhat filling.. I too wish I could find a low fat crunchy chip..

Oh! Jill I just thought of something. You may not be able to find turnips in south Texas but what about Jicama? I'm betting you could do the same thing with jicama slices. It's great with chili powder on it anyway. We make a salad all the time with jicama, cucumber, mango, lime juice and chili powder. I stole the recipe from Rick Bayless! :D

Tami

Tami, what is Jicama? I am originally from Ireland and don't like (can't tolerate) spicy foods. That includes chili powder. What does it taste like? Is it like a vegetable or a fruit? Jill:confused:

Weighed in on Tuesday evening. Down 4 lbs from previous week!!! :):) Overall down 18 pounds in about 4 weeks.

Finally beginning to notice some difference in the way clothes fit. Hurray!!!!!!!!!

Diet really seems to work. Anybody try any low cal stuff that's really really good?????

For any chocoholics out there I have found that dark chocolate really satisfies the crave. I can have one piece of dark chocolate and be happy. No need to scarf down half a bag.

Good luck and I wish all of us continued success!!!

Jill- jicama is a root ball kind of like a turnip but bigger and with brown skin. IT actually tastes like a cross between apple and raw potato. Very mild. You could easily make the salad without chili powder. I think it's considered a vegetable. We have them all over the grocery stores around here. I can't keep them around here because the kids inhale them.

I'm not exactly sure where I picked up my fondness for spicy foods. I'm English, Irish and German and really I'm the only one in my family who can eat spicy foods on a regular basis. I've always liked mexican and italian food but taught myself to eat indian food over the past few years. I have a daughter who was born in India. I didn't like it at first because there were too many spices but now I crave it. Beats the time when I used to crave things like chocolate or colcannon with lots of butter on top! :rolleyes:

Tami

Can I join too? Hi Tami! Still waiting for baby? Must be hard!

I am cruising Nov. 10 and want to lose at least 40, prefer 50. I've been going to Curves 2 - 3 times a week for about a month, and am about to start their weight loss plan tomorrow. 6 meals a day, low carb, high protein. Went grocery shopping, and I'm ready to go!

Kathy

Archived