Little Stirrup Cay?

bike1964

Pardon my ignorance. We haven't done a Bahamas cruise in quite some time. Been sailing the Western Caribbean mostly. I noticed that Carnival is now calling @ "Little Stirrup Cay" and "Half Moon Cay" on some of the Bahama sailings. Is Little Stirrup Cay a newly found/purchased island or are they using/sharing some other cruise lines private island? Thanks for any info in advance.

Thanks. I had a feeling it was either RCCL's or Norwegians. That's interesting?

They are substituting Little Stirrup/Coco Cay instead of Key West now. Long story short, pier docking issues in KW. Island still belongs to RC

We are going there on the Fascination next week, March 11th cruise, which I believe is the first time Carnival is using the island. We were at Little Stirrup (Coco Cay) 10 years ago on the Sovereign of the Seas. I will let you know what we thought when we get back!!

Lucky you if you're going to stop at Coco Cay. It's an awesome island. When you first come ashore, walk to your left about a quarter mile or so, past where all the lounge chairs are set up. You'll get to a beach that's a little more secluded and has the warmest (I should say hottest) water I've ever felt. More like a hot tub than bathtub temp.

You'll also see many iguanas, and there are hammocks all over the island. See one you like, just plop on in.

The snorkeling is 10 times better than Half Moon Cay. The main beach where everything is set up has a sunken plane and if I remember a small sunken ship. Lots of fish everywhere.

It's truly one of my most favorite places I've ever been to.

In the past when we went there via RCCL you had to pay someone to move the lounge chairs near the water.

They had a make work system of piling them up a few hundred feet from the water and than guarding them so you had to pay locals to move them so you could use one.

Than 3 seconds after you left the chair goes back to the pile to be "sold" again. Nice work if you could get it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question. Is there really a benefit signing up for the snorkeling excursion? I have my own gear and planned to just snorkel right off of the beach. Do I have to sign up and pay 39.95 /p ? If so...what do you get besides the gear for this price? Do they take you out in a boat and you snorkel off of the boat?

We are going there on the Fascination next week, March 11th cruise, which I believe is the first time Carnival is using the island. We were at Little Stirrup (Coco Cay) 10 years ago on the Sovereign of the Seas. I will let you know what we thought when we get back!!

Would love to know what you think, we are sailing the Fascination in May.

My wife and I go to Coco Cay (Little Stirrup Cay) all the time on Monarch OTS. It's a nice little island, but isn't as good as Half Moon Cay. Coco's beach is not even in the same league as HMC's. Its kinda rocky, and has a lot more sea grass.

Other than the beach being inferior to HMC's, the rest of the experience is about the same. Both have a buffet area, cabanas (for an additional fee), bars and water based sporting activities (some for extra fees).

Plenty of pics of Coco Cay in my Monarch review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439969

In the past when we went there via RCCL you had to pay someone to move the lounge chairs near the water.

They had a make work system of piling them up a few hundred feet from the water and than guarding them so you had to pay locals to move them so you could use one.

Than 3 seconds after you left the chair goes back to the pile to be "sold" again. Nice work if you could get it.

This is certainly not the case anymore. The chairs are already set out when guests arrive and are included.

I have been there and dont remember this happening either. When were you there?

People just picked up their chairs and moved them where they wanted to sit if they didnt like where the lounge chair was. Everything there was free when I was there. Its a private island and other than liquor type drinks or bottled water I mean and souveneirs it was all free, including the BBQ.

Yep, GSC and Cococay are within a mile or two of eachother. When we were at CocoCay on Majesty of the Seas, I was out by the snorkeling lifeguard station talking to the lifeguard. We could clearly see Norwegian Sky not that far away and I said to the guard speculatively "Hmm, our ship is bigger and I think we have more passengers. I say we BOARD AND STORM 'ER!"

He thought that was pretty funny! :)

The snorkeling is 10 times better than Half Moon Cay. The main beach where everything is set up has a sunken plane and if I remember a small sunken ship. Lots of fish everywhere.

It's truly one of my most favorite places I've ever been to.

Yes, two (small) planes sunk, plus a bank of cannons and some other things. The lifeguard station (floating dock) I mentioned above is near the cannons and is also where they feed the fish. There were HUNDREDS, probably thousands there. Just astonishing! It was awesome!

I have a question. Is there really a benefit signing up for the snorkeling excursion? I have my own gear and planned to just snorkel right off of the beach. Do I have to sign up and pay 39.95 /p ? If so...what do you get besides the gear for this price? Do they take you out in a boat and you snorkel off of the boat?

Yes, I think they take you on a boat for that price. If you're bringing your own mask, snorkel and fins you might want to rent a snorkeling vest (they said it was required) but skip the full excursion, because you can swim out to where the sunken objects are without too much trouble.

You'll want to attend one of the quick orientation sessions by the dive shack, as they will tell you where the sunken objects are.

I envy you your snorkeling visit to CocoCay, BTW. I'd be in seventh heaven if my upcoming cruise swapped Nassau for Cococay. Cococay, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk, a beachgoer's paradise itinerary. :)

My wife and I go to Coco Cay (Little Stirrup Cay) all the time on Monarch OTS. It's a nice little island, but isn't as good as Half Moon Cay. Coco's beach is not even in the same league as HMC's. Its kinda rocky, and has a lot more sea grass.

Other than the beach being inferior to HMC's, the rest of the experience is about the same. Both have a buffet area, cabanas (for an additional fee), bars and water based sporting activities (some for extra fees).

Plenty of pics of Coco Cay in my Monarch review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439969

This is the same way I feel. Last time we walked around the whole Inland. Their is a lot of brush and very rocky on the other side but a fun day. I don't think you can find better sand then HMC.

We never did make it to Little Stirrup Cay on the March 11th sailing of the Fascination. The sea's were too rough to make for safe tendering. We went to Freeport instead! Not a good substitute in my opinion. I am interested to know if the Fascination has been able to make it there yet!

• 2 weeks later...
Looking to book a July cruise here..For those whom have sailed recent with CCL. Do they offer lunch like HMC or do we buy our own there. Also is this a tender island ..? THX for any info...:)

Just got off Ecstasy this morning. Visited Little Stirrup (aka Coco Cay) yesterday. Yes, they do provide lunch. Hamburgers, hot dogs, BBQ, pasta salad, chips, dessert, etc. There are PLENTY of chairs, snorkeling, parasailing, jet skis, water trampoline, water slide, volleyball, basketball, hammocks, kayaks etc. and of course bars. There is a small shopping area (straw market items) that take cash only. Yes it is a tender about 7 mins by boat. Enjoy !

• 4 months later...

Archived