Packing Camera Gear for Cruise

Twintowngirl

Good morning everyone!

I am leaving on the Carnival Breeze in 10 days and am super excited to be bringing my new SLR camera along. The only concern I have is how to tote it safely on the plane to Miami and also on the various excursions we will be going on. My previous camera could fit easily in my purse!

I will have carry on luggage plus I am thinking of bringing my Lowepro camera back pack along and hope I can use one of the pockets to double as a makeshift purse. Does that sound do able on the plane? I am just hoping that it won't be considered too bulky.

Any tips for keeping everything safe in the cabin? I have never had a problem with anything going missing but the camera and the lenses have been a big investment and I don't want to have any problems.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer me! I have been stalking the board and checking out photos etc for quite some time. I hope to be able to post some good shots from my Breeze cruise in the next few weeks!

Have a great day! Deb

Good morning everyone!

I am leaving on the Carnival Breeze in 10 days and am super excited to be bringing my new SLR camera along. The only concern I have is how to tote it safely on the plane to Miami and also on the various excursions we will be going on. My previous camera could fit easily in my purse!

I will have carry on luggage plus I am thinking of bringing my Lowepro camera back pack along and hope I can use one of the pockets to double as a makeshift purse. Does that sound do able on the plane? I am just hoping that it won't be considered too bulky.

Any tips for keeping everything safe in the cabin? I have never had a problem with anything going missing but the camera and the lenses have been a big investment and I don't want to have any problems.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer me! I have been stalking the board and checking out photos etc for quite some time. I hope to be able to post some good shots from my Breeze cruise in the next few weeks!

Have a great day! Deb

Never had an issue with equipment in the cabin. I just don't leave the equipment out in plain sight...bag in the closet works fine.

I carry a LowePro Fastpack 350 on vacation. It fits under every seat I've run into so far. If your bag is smaller than that, you should have no issues.

My new best friend on planes is my ScotteVest! The NEX, phone, cables and up to a 10" tablet fits in the pockets. Like a stealth carry-on!

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_womens_products.shtml

Dave

My Lowepro Fastpack 250 worked great as a carryon when I flew to California a few months ago. I agree with keeping it with you at all times. We did fly on one commuter jet, where they gate-checked everything, but I got it back as I got off the plane, so it worked out fine.

Never have been brave enough to bring my "good" camera. Still just bring my Canon D10. Most of my pictures on vacation are with plenty of light and around water. Good fit for the D10.

I woudn't want to worry about something happening to my camera on vacation. I'm there to relax.

Never have been brave enough to bring my "good" camera. Still just bring my Canon D10. Most of my pictures on vacation are with plenty of light and around water. Good fit for the D10.

I woudn't want to worry about something happening to my camera on vacation. I'm there to relax.

Don't worry! I've hauled my "good" cameras all over the world and on 30 cruises. Never a problem. Since photography is my way of relaxing, I would be fretting about missed photo-ops if I didn't bring them! :D

Dave

Since photography is my way of relaxing, I would be fretting about missed photo-ops if I didn't bring them! :D

Dave

I had thought about bringing the smaller camera along but really want to capture some fun shots with the new one. I am hoping that my Lowepro qualifies as a "purse" and that I can have a carry on as well with no problems.

Deb

Don't worry! I've hauled my "good" cameras all over the world and on 30 cruises. Never a problem. Since photography is my way of relaxing, I would be fretting about missed photo-ops if I didn't bring them! :D

Dave

Ditto; we carry our good cameras everywhere; never have had an issue. There are times that we have failed to put them in a drawer or in bag for whatever reason; they were right where we had left them. We try to put the cameras just to give us some room.

Ed

I had thought about bringing the smaller camera along but really want to capture some fun shots with the new one. I am hoping that my Lowepro qualifies as a "purse" and that I can have a carry on as well with no problems.

Deb

Domestically, the rule is "Two". For the overhead the maximum on the largest one is limited to a 22" roll-on and other can be anything from a clutch purse to a camera/laptop backpack. It doesn't matter as long as the second item will fit under the seat. If you are travelling internationally, check each carrier to see the rules. Many limit you by number and/or weight.

Dave

Domestically, the rule is "Two". For the overhead the maximum on the largest one is limited to a 22" roll-on and other can be anything from a clutch purse to a camera/laptop backpack. It doesn't matter as long as the second item will fit under the seat.

Dave

THank you for the great information Dave! I will give it a go and see how everything works out. I have seen women with huge bags that they call purses and it all seems to work out too. I am flying from Minnesota to Miami and will double check with Delta's policy before heading to the airport.

PS....I am really enjoying the particular section of the forums. I will keep reading when I return and will post some of my favorite photos.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent some time searching through these boards for some suggestions/advice for my upcoming cruise. I'm thinking of bringing my Canon DSLR with the 18-55 kit lens, and the CPL & ND filters. I'll use this for shots from the stateroom balcony and for ports where we won't be going in the ocean and just walking around - Bermuda (too cold in April) and Puerto Rico (not there long enough). I'm planning on bringing our Coolpix P&S for beach days since I can more easily stash that away in a beach bag and it takes decent enough pictures (even though I have to adjust the white balance in all of them PP).

I was debating renting a longer lens, but from what I've read, it seems that's probably not the best idea. Although I might miss it for a few shots, lugging it around in port all day would be cumbersome.

I'm bringing a memory card for each day and I'm going to copy the pix onto the laptop each night and keep the pix on the cards until I get home - so I have a back-up.

And it seems I should keep the DSLR either in a plastic bag or under a towel or blanket to keep it from getting too cold to avoid condensation.

I'm new to the DSLR world - so please let me know if this plan sounds solid, or if there is something tremendous that I'm missing.

Not sure if I posted this correctly - please be kind if I put this in the wrong place.

Thanks so much!

Good morning everyone!

I put my purse in the Lowepro Slingbag. It had worked through all 7 continents. You need a purse that is flat. I use a coach wristlet that zips closed. It feels more secure around my wrist when taking it out for cash, ID, etc.

The best solution to safe keeping of your expensive camera gear is to get insurance. You should be able to get a zero deductible personal property policy from the same insurance company you have your home owner's insurance with.

This is better than your home owner's insurance as there is typically a significant deductable as well as in some states (Michigan for instance) if you make 3 claims, state law (thank you insurance lobbyists) says the insurance company has to cancel your policy.

I have all of my camera gear as well as my wife's wedding rings on a personal property insurance, for about 2% of insured value per year. Not too expensive.

I've spent some time searching through these boards for some suggestions/advice for my upcoming cruise. I'm thinking of bringing my Canon DSLR with the 18-55 kit lens, and the CPL & ND filters. I'll use this for shots from the stateroom balcony and for ports where we won't be going in the ocean and just walking around - Bermuda (too cold in April) and Puerto Rico (not there long enough). I'm planning on bringing our Coolpix P&S for beach days since I can more easily stash that away in a beach bag and it takes decent enough pictures (even though I have to adjust the white balance in all of them PP).

I was debating renting a longer lens, but from what I've read, it seems that's probably not the best idea. Although I might miss it for a few shots, lugging it around in port all day would be cumbersome.

I'm bringing a memory card for each day and I'm going to copy the pix onto the laptop each night and keep the pix on the cards until I get home - so I have a back-up.

And it seems I should keep the DSLR either in a plastic bag or under a towel or blanket to keep it from getting too cold to avoid condensation.

I'm new to the DSLR world - so please let me know if this plan sounds solid, or if there is something tremendous that I'm missing.

Not sure if I posted this correctly - please be kind if I put this in the wrong place.

Thanks so much!

I pack a low-wattage reptile tank heater to keep my equipment warm in the cabin. I plug it in and close the bag. When I leave the room in the AM, the camera is a toasty 85° or 90° and never has condensation issues.

Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTherm%C2%AE-Under-Heater/dp/B0002AQCKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360107752&sr=8-1&keywords=reptitherm

They are available at any large pet supply.

Dave

I am not a fan of the back packs because when you need something you have to stop, take it off, open it up, get what you want, make your picture and then reverse it. I use a Think Tank Retrospective 50 shoulder bag for vacations. It easily holds a 5D Mark II, 16-35mm and 70-200mm plus a 580EX II flash, DW's sun screen, water and other assorted "stuff". When we are on the ship I usually put the longer zoom in the safe and carry the body and short zoom with me. Never had any problem with condesation on any cruise but sometimes you do get caught in the rain...and then you need to cover up quickly.

I put my camera in an M-Rock bag for hauling on the airplane. It works well as a personal item. I also secure it to my wheelie. If I must gate check the bag, I detach my camera and carry it into the plane. For shore excursions, I use my R-strap, and a neoparene cover.

Thanks so much!

We just returned from a 50 day vacation. The first 11 were land in Thailand and Cambodia (Siem Reap) area. The next 32, a cruise from South East Asia to Australia and then New Zealand.

I do NO video....prepare a slide show with titles mainly. I also print 4X6s just to show. I'll select a few really good shots and make presentation prints.

My equipment included a Panasonic G1 DSLR, a 24-45 Zoom, 45-200 Zoom, an auxiliary flash. These are in individual 'pouch' and then attached to a heavy duty belt. The pouches have space for extra cards and batteries. I do not need a pack since all the day stuff is around my waist. However, once I take the camera out for using, the lens cap is left in the pouch. NOW the camera (with a heavy duty neck strap) is around my neck and after a while...gets pretty heavy.

I kept track on what I actually used....The G1, of course with the 24-45 lens mostly. I actually put the longer lens on ONE TIME! I used the auxiliary flash TWICE! This meant that I carried a large amount of equipment to satisfy my worry, not because I really needed it. I even carried a tripod for the first several days in Cambodia to photograph some of the temples for making panoramas. I used the tripod twice. More to carry!

I did have a circular polarizer that I did use....resulted in some very nice cloud and water shots. But that was carried in the camera pouch when the camera was around my neck.

As a precaution, I always have an extra 'point and shoot' aas a spare but don't carry it, my wife has it in her purse....just in case.....didn't use it once!

I'm describing this to comment that it may be that we all tend to carry far more than we'll really need.

When I returned home I took all my equipment; laid it out on a table and started to eliminate 'stuff' that I really didn't use. Then....after reading about the new Panasonic LX7 and the new Canon G15...I started to think!

I do have four Panasonics and really like 'em. BUT the point and shoot, even the most elaborate doesn't have a viewfinder. My eyes have a hard time using the screen if the sun is coming over my shoulder...as bright as the screen may be. I love to use RAW...it gives me a far greater control after the shot.... And both the LX7 and G15 offer RAW in very compact packages. I bought a G15 (feeling a bit of a traitor to Panasonic).

It fits into a very compact pouch, attaches to my belt....I don't really know it is there!:D I'll be taking a 14 day Hawaii cruise shortly and this will be the only camera I'm taking. Since we've been to Hawaii several times and I have a large number of pictures...if I miss one I shan't be too upset.

Tell you this: if it works out well....that'll be the end of lugging a large amount of equipment unless there is some vital need. ie an African Photo Safari where the need for a long tele may be important.

And like Grace...I use a new card for each day. At night, just before getting ready for the morning I bring up Word on the PC.....In 36pt type, type the date, next line in 48 or 72 pt, the location and then in 18 pt.....any vital info. This way the card and the folder on the PC are very well identified. And as with Grace....I do not erase the card until I have finished processing any images, once at home.

Cards are inexpensive now....I remember, not too long ago spending $50+ for a 1GB card! True, it is necessary to carry a bunch but they take no room.....and...if one should fail (I've only had one fail in many years) you don't lose too much.

Never had an issue with equipment in the cabin. I just don't leave the equipment out in plain sight...bag in the closet works fine.

I carry a LowePro Fastpack 350 on vacation. It fits under every seat I've run into so far. If your bag is smaller than that, you should have no issues.

My new best friend on planes is my ScotteVest! The NEX, phone, cables and up to a 10" tablet fits in the pockets. Like a stealth carry-on!

Dave

Thanks alot for the info on the vest! I have a photographer's vest with ventilated sections that's great for hot weather, but for fashion it's more suitable for a safari ;) I also feel like I need to put post-it notes on all the pockets since I keep forgetting what's where. It has a few pockets large enough to hold my 55-250 lens (I use it a lot) so the vest is esp. great for road trips, hikes, etc. But when traveling by plane or ship I find myself going back to my lowepro backpack, which holds my equipment, nook, phone and clutch purse.

Items I carry around are few. I'm 5'2", 110# with a bad back so can't handle too much weight or I'm miserable! Before traveling I switch to a small clutch type wallet as mentioned in another post. When flying or in port cities I usually have it in my front pants pocket, or in one of those passport holder pocket thingys that hang around your neck. My Canon DSLR is usually around my neck (the one time I had it packed away in the car was when we saw our first tornado). The only camera equipment I carry when walking around in port is a waterproof cover, spare memory card & extra battery.

I too have always left my gear/backpack out in my cabin or in the closet on the ship, with no problem. I'm careful to place the camera/lenses where they won't fall in case of rough seas. The advice on switching memory cards is important! On longer cruises I've even carried my laptop to download and view the pics (allows me to see missed photos of a favorite spot, or special decor, etc.).

Thanks to everyone for the great tips posted here.

• 2 months later...

I'm a newbie (both to photography and to cruising) and have enjoyed these tips, but I have one question: am I understanding correctly that no one actually packs any camera equipment in checked baggage? Everything goes in carry-on only, either in some sort of camera bag or in a large bag that doubles as a camera bag?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

That is correct Bruce. Keep the camera stuff with you . Except a tripod or monopod . A whole lot easier to by clothes . Than to build a camera kit on vacation.

Come to think about it my monopod was on my camera pack last time we went thru security. Didn't raise an eyebrow for a moment.

What is the point of having a "good" camera if you are afraid to use it? Do you only use it at home?

DON

I'm a newbie (both to photography and to cruising) and have enjoyed these tips, but I have one question: am I understanding correctly that no one actually packs any camera equipment in checked baggage? Everything goes in carry-on only, either in some sort of camera bag or in a large bag that doubles as a camera bag?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

You do not put ANYTHING valuable or irreplaceable in checked luggage ever.

DON

Dave

Dave, on our recent cruise the folks that taught our iMovie Class recommended this site as well. Do you have a recommendation on a particular jacket you may have bought from them.

Thanks,

Keith

Archived